YouTube tests disabling videos for people using ad blockers

Even if I were paying for premium, I'd still prefer using smarttubenext on my TV as the official app is absolute shit compared to this one. STN adds so many features and the interface is so much nicer than the official that I can't even imagine going back to the official app.
I agree. Official youtube has crap video quality compared to smart tube next.

I'm using premium so no. Also you should really consider premium. It's relatively cheap in India. around 200 for 6 people. It's 100% worth it. I've been using it for so long that I sometimes forget YT has ads. Whenever I use my friends YT and see ad then I'm like 'oh yeah YT has ads' (also not sponsored by YT premium)
Don't come to definitive conclusions like this. It might be needed for you to get premium but not everyone in the world cares in the slightest for it. Refrain from using words like should.

On topic, is this question about PC users or mobile? I don't see any warning on PC yet (Chrome with ublock). Don't use youtube on phone so cannot confirm.

Targeted ads is what you're talking about.
They analyze your browsing habits including clicks on links and ads you do.
An advertisement ID is associated with every user to uniquely identify an individual and show targeted ads.
All local shops, online marketplace such as Amazon analyse our browsing and spending habits including which product we saw or clicked.
Our local shops know how we look, which car we drive, where we live, who is in our family.
They use our own face and our own identity to uniquely identify us and show specific products.

I wasn't talking about targeted ads though.
I was talking mostly about non targeted ads and the way ads are presented. Facebook ads are the products I am looking for.
I buy products for my needs and facebook helps me cut down my time looking for stuff on Amazon, Myntra, online etc. It also recommends very unique products and services.

The irony of selling your soul to the devil and thinking of it as a blessing.
Normal humans who buy stuff for their needs are different from monks protecting their souls from the heights of Himalayas.
Mortals work, earn and then spend. This is how economy works.

Don't come to definitive conclusions like this. It might be needed for you to get premium but not everyone in the world cares in the slightest for it. Refrain from using words like should.

On topic, is this question about PC users or mobile? I don't see any warning on PC yet (Chrome with ublock). Don't use youtube on phone so cannot confirm.
Why shouldn't I? My conclusion is based on my experience. You do not care about it - that's fine but I do and I will say that one should get it. It's 100% worth.

He just said "you should really consider", not you should get premium or else.
It wasn't directed towards everyone in the world, but a group of people discussing a topic related to YouTube ads. So I totally agree with cassanovalite, you really should consider buying YouTube premium membership, it's dirt cheap at ₹383 per year.

you really should consider buying YouTube premium membership, it's dirt cheap at ₹383 per year.
I only get a 1290/- per year option. Unless you're sharing one account with 5 people i don't see how you get such a low figure.

Image1823620231437937366.jpg

I only get a 1290/- per year option. Unless you're sharing one account with 5 people i don't see how you get such a low figure.
They're talking about family plan itself. Family plan is 189 per month, which is Rs. 31.5 per person if it's shared among 6.

Most people in India get these plans and share among friends or just random people through forums like these. The ToS clearly says that it's meant for people living in the same household. So these people, who are telling that we "should" subscribe to YouTube premium, are mostly doing so themselves only by violating YouTube ToS. The irony!

Which is why I pay where I think it's worth it, I buy some games and software, pay for some services, and use the high seas where I think it's out of my reach or not worth it for me. But I never go around with the air of superiority about having enough money to pay for some content.

More specifically, on an average, I watch less than 1 video a day on YouTube. Even Rs. 31 a month, that works to more than a rupee per video. That's probably not too much, but I still don't want to pay on an ongoing basis for something which is barely even a part of my day. I rather prefer to read articles on blogs etc. or whatever is left of them on the internet now.

Most people in India get these plans and share among friends or just random people through forums like these. The ToS clearly says that it's meant for people living in the same household. So these people, who are telling that we "should" subscribe to YouTube premium, are mostly doing so themselves only by violating YouTube ToS. The irony!

You must be fun at parties !

I pay 189 a month, shared between accounts of family members - wife, mom, dad, myself and a couple of kids account. Kids watch quite a bit of YT Kids, Mom watches quite a bit of religious stuff, dad gets his political stuff, wife and I use seperate accounts to keep recommendations tidy.

Everyone has different needs. It is extremely worth 189 a month for me. Watching ads on friends YouTube made me realise how much better premium is.

I have Revanced, also have it installed on my Dad, Mom and Sisters' devices. No complains. I update the app monthly or whenever Revanced adds support for a newer version of YT app.
No need for premium yet.
Even YT music app is patched by Revanced.

I have Revanced, also have it installed on my Dad, Mom and Sisters' devices. No complains. I update the app monthly or whenever Revanced adds support for a newer version of YT app.
No need for premium yet.

Have WebOS and iOS. Official apps works well with Premium.

No need for premium yet.
I use yt music app on my mac and my google home doesn't play songs on request without yt premium.
But I never go around with the air of superiority about having enough money to pay for some content.
To think this way is very naive of you. I don't face buffering issues on the official yt app like I did on vanced. At least in my experience the microG service used to drain my battery.
It was merely a suggestion, whether you want to watch the ads, used vanced, pay for family subscription or even pay 1.3k. I simply suggested it's a good deal if you use yt a lot based on my experience. To think suggesting a good deal boasts an air of superiority is very naive.

If you want your favourite creators to be supported, without subscribing to their community plans per month, YT Premium is a good way to do that. I remember Geeky Ranjit once mentioned in one of his FAQ videos that youtubers earn more per view from Premium subscribers. So, there's one benefit right off the bat.

I have been paying for YT Premium since the days of Google Play Music, before it rebranded to YT Music. Back then it was 99 INR per month. But, even at 129 INR, it is very much worth it because the time and mental agony I gain from not watching ads is itself worth the money.

If you want your favourite creators to be supported, without subscribing to their community plans per month, YT Premium is a good way to do that. I remember Geeky Ranjit once mentioned in one of his FAQ videos that youtubers earn more per view from Premium subscribers. So, there's one benefit right off the bat.
I remember lot of foreign youtubers saying Google takes 65% of anything the youtuber earns through subscription/chats etc. If you really want to support any channel maker, giving Google money is not the way. Use patreon which only takes 5% or directly give money through other ways.

Most Indians don't nearly make as much as them for the same work, done locally, so its not 1:1.
yt obviously has done well but experience on it has gone down the drain esp since last year or so i think.
I think if you're abroad and you set your location as India you can get Indian rates

It works by using a VPN that shows your location in India and then paying for premium with a foreign credit card and that's it. No need for the VPN after. Enter any Indian postcode at payment time and that's it.

Last edited:
I remember lot of foreign youtubers saying Google takes 65% of anything the youtuber earns through subscription/chats etc. If you really want to support any channel maker, giving Google money is not the way. Use patreon which only takes 5% or directly give money through other ways.
65% is for channel subscription, super chat etc, not for direct payout by YouTube premium. YT premium pays according to watch time. The split is similar to ads revenue ie 60% for creators and 40% for YouTube.
YT subscription is the easiest way to support creators. Even other options such as super chat and channel subscription is easier than patreon because payment link comes instantly and upi is an option unlike patreon which requires credit card.

I'm using AdNauseam in Firefox and don't get ads. It's built on uBlock Origin. In addition to blocking, it clicks on ads. Maybe why?
Didn't want to create a new thread, but starting to get a few ads on YouTube now with AdNauseam. Anyone else?

Have started getting this message since today. If I close it, the video plays as usual. Maybe they'll get more strict soon.
Using uBlock on Chrome.

Capture.JPG

Maybe they'll get more strict soon
Me thinks something will happen in future, they just want to clear the air out, that adblockers are not allowed, by letting users know, so that they can pull their next move without creating too much havoc.

Me thinks something will happen in future, they just want to clear the air out, that adblockers are not allowed, by letting users know, so that they can pull their next move without creating too much havoc.
Companies won't stop until they push ads on every screen possible 24x7. The only way to increase profits year upon year is by showing more and more ads.

First G will say get YouTube Premium to remove ads. Then they will start showing some ads on that as well, and say but Premium Pro for no ads. Prime Video is already doing this by showing so many ads for channel subscriptions

Back