Your experience with job portals?

LaatSahab

Skilled
We all know last year the whole industry was riding the "recession" wave and was firing more than hiring. As earlier this year "recession" officially ended and as they say, hiring is back in full swing.

Now many of us have created accounts of job portals like Naukri and Monster and others alike. Some of us have even tried unconventional spaves for jobs like LinkedIn and Facebook. the big question is, "Do online job portals and sites really provide any concrete or significant result ?"

Share your views and inputs here folks. Lets all learn from each others experience. :cool2:

Let me pitch in mine first. I now have my account on almost all major sites like Naukri,Monster,Timesjobs and even tried LinkedIn. I graduated in 2009(B.Tech in Information Technology) but till now I'm unemployed :p and the search is still on. :mad:

From the popular portals I have signed onto, Naukri.com has provided the best results...and landed me my current job!

Some pointers:

Update your profile/resume often
Keep tweaking your resume, to make it stand out from the rest
Use appropriate keywords for your profile
Fill in all the necessary rather essential info.

Your patience will eventually be rewarded...so all the very best! :hap2:

^ well I think nobody recruits me because I have 55% marks in my +2 although I do have 73% in my 10th and 65% in my B.Tech.

Also tell me, do paying for services like "Premium package" and stuff at these portals are of any help or just waste of money?

no one looks at grades. Just keep updating your resume often and you should land a catch soon. Patience is the key as it sometimes takes a month - month & half after you post your resume.

Ryunosuke said:
^ well I think nobody recruits me because I have 55% marks in my +2 although I do have 73% in my 10th and 65% in my B.Tech.

Also tell me, do paying for services like "Premium package" and stuff at these portals are of any help or just waste of money?

Don't worry about low grades. marks does not matter, experience does:)

Marks hardly matter. Yes, they usually ask freshers so there is some 'meat' to cross question. That is about it. Its relevant experience and skill set. Premium packages do help. They make a good robust CV, and blast it to good recruiters. The incoming job content quality goes up. Have seen profiles of friends. If, you do not want to go for a paid package, get a good CV made. Show it to people with a lot of industry experience, and they can suggest modifications.

Well as I am a fresher so I can't tout any experience. my case is also a bit unusual. I know all the basic languages and have a certification in Java too but I know a lot more about Hardware and networking but don't have any certification for them. Even the 2 projects I made during my B.tech were related to Networking.

As for the services offered by them, I have applied for the Express Resume development package which costs 1000 bucks. Lets see what do they deliver and when and what and how will it affect my profile and recruitment chances there.

SharekhaN said:
no one looks at grades.

Many companies still do that for freshers, especially the IT Services biggies like TCS. When they have too many candidates, they simply do the initial shortlisting by putting cut off limits on the marks. Not all companies do it, but in general an avg fresher has best chances with 60%+ at all levels. I have myself encountered decent candidates who still had to struggle because they had low scores in 10th or +2 and could not clear the preliminary shortlisting of companies even though they could have cleared the rest of the process easily.

Ryunosuke said:
Well as I am a fresher so I can't tout any experience. my case is also a bit unusual. I know all the basic languages and have a certification in Java too but I know a lot more about Hardware and networking but don't have any certification for them. Even the 2 projects I made during my B.tech were related to Networking.

As for the services offered by them, I have applied for the Express Resume development package which costs 1000 bucks. Lets see what do they deliver and when and what and how will it affect my profile and recruitment chances there.

Upgrade the package, where they will blast it out to high profile recruiters. The quality of job offerings will increase/change. Of course keep the 'word-of-mouth' channel also open. This is the ice-breaker. Crack your first job..and you are on the roll...!

^+1 With so much stuff that I have learn t here and in my college, apart from syllabus, I have this much confidence that if I sit in an interview, nobody can stop me from getting the job, its just reaching to the interview part is the problem right now :p

I've got positive result. I've an a/c in Naukri and Monster.

I'm doing BCA. I'm in final yr. Still.....I got a job as PHP+MySQL developer, and currently working with them continuing my study.

I don't think marks matter that much, coz I've got 59% in 10th and 52% in 10+2, and avobe 70% in all the semester till now in BCA.

@OP

PM me, can refer in few companies which req freshers.

Cant assure due to 65% in B.Tech. Buddy, There are lots of fresher in market. Due to recession there was 2009 batch rarely anyone got placed from that.

There were already lot without jobs in 2008 batch. Now 2010 batch will be out.

Tough one. We just had off campus, saw around 4000 freshers standing in line in damn hot sun.

One more important point to raise here. What is the best way to use these job portals? I mean we all use the "Apply" button given there but is clicking on that button alone enough?

I mean by that way alone I have applied to almost hundred or so companies but got response from none. The only response I ever got were from firms which train u in exchange of some amount and then "guarantee" to place u in firms like IBM,HCL etc. I never fell for that as have already wasted almost 1 lac in NIIT :mad:

From now on I click on the "Apply" button and also mail my resume to the HR or and reps mail ID if mentioned there with proper reference if mentioned there.

I do know that 90% chance will be that my mail would either be filtered and sent in Spam but still with that 10% hope I do mail 'em ;) Who knows when my luck might shine :ashamed:

Now the 3rd way, the mobile number, should one call them after clicking on their advert. ?

4thly, as many of them even give their address too, can one directly approach them, la Walk-In ;)

How do u guys do it?

^^ Have some tips for you.

1. Do not bother with paid services to get a resume made professionally. It doesn't really help unless what you have currently made is real bad. Some also claim that they provide more visibility to the resume for the fee. I am not sure if that works. I am yet to see someone who went for such packages and got any calls that they were not getting otherwise. Then again, I have not seen many people who have subscribed to such services.

2. Arrange the resume in such a way as to focus on your accomplishments rather than on your academics. One way of doing it is to get your academics table to the second page and bring in your your tech skills and accomplishments like projects/hobby projects onto the first page.

3. Try to get your resume registered with HR services agencies that companies often hire to get them candidates. Usually these people get paid by the companies when ever a candidate they pushed gets selected.

4. Try to attend walk-ins and Job fairs. Often in such events people who are are first in line have better chances than people who have the highest marks. Companies often call in the first 100/200 (or whatever number they choose) for the preliminary tests and let the others leave.

5. Calling HR people or going to the offices randomly doesn't work. Get friends who are already working with companies to give you referrals. This works pretty well in most cases.

Lord Nemesis said:
3. Try to get your resume registered with HR services agencies that companies often hire to get them candidates. Usually these people get paid by the companies when ever a candidate they pushed gets selected.

Know any such company?

I have many friends working who are ready, able and willing to help me in this matter but all down South, to where I can't migrate right now. That is why my restriction of job location is Delhi/NCR :ashamed:

Naukri has been the best for me. They have most matching suggestions and search results for my profile and also had some interview calls through them.

Monster is okayish, their suggestions are bad, but search results are fine, but never got any calls thru them yet.

Times jobs is the worst, they give all wrong suggestions, spam a lot. They keep sending call center openings for a person working in top high-paying semiconductor company :D

^^

Yes Naukri is quite decent. Many of my friends used their paid services, They themselves mentioned the quality of job offers is better. The penetration level also goes up, with respect to job preferences.

@Ryunosuke

Some final pointers.

1. Learn to be patient. Remember, there are 1000s like you, with the same mentality and urge to get a *decent* job.

2. I would recommend against the professional services offered through these portals, except 'Profile Boosters' perhaps. But given the Engg. %, that might not entirely hold good.

3. I would go so far as to say, most companies FILTER out candidates based on their overall academic performance, atleast in the initial rounds. They usually have a *number* in mind and will try to narrow it down to that. *I have personally noticed this trend with Indian companies*. Remember, the 1000s I mentioned earlier? Assuming 85% of them had % of over 75, some with really good profiles, the HR personnel need to do something about the rest, right? It isn't easy and it keeps getting competitive.

4. As mentioned earlier, Naukri.com will be a good start. However, don't wait for portals to return relevant results. You know what you are looking for, so use the search tools provided and start hunting for the perfect profile!

5. As Praks pointed out, the slump for the 2009 batch, has indeed created a bigger pool of candidates to choose from. Although, this makes it harder, it doesn't necessarily have to be a deterrent, IF you are smart in your own way.

6. The success rate through placement agencies, for *decent* jobs is minimal. No harm in trying though. A -> B -> G -> M -> V .... -> Z (Job Offer) :p.

7. References, contacts et all. Socialize with those employed, discuss with friends in different regions, join job-related communities/forums, do what it takes...someone, somewhere may see the potential in you Or you might just find the golden opportunity.

In conclusion....

My 10th %= 84, 12%=83, B.E%=70.3 and I thought I was DOOMED, when I started looking for a job!

I've had hits and misses along the way, the company I was placed in(campus) STILL hasn't called us, months of searching, applying, updating.....

but here I am, with a decent job in hand, doing just fine! :)

It may take a while, but will be worth the wait. So be patient, do your best and... Good luck! :cool2:

~ T.T.M ~

Well u r lucky my friend. I am eliminated from most of the opportunities mainly due to my 12th percentage but this hasn't stopped me from trying. Hell I even applied for IT-Technician job at Google :p Gurgaon.
Will let u all know once I land somewhere. Till then Hunt is on. In the meantime we all can discuss about it.
In LinkedIn I noticed that most of the job search ends up at a site called firstsalary.com Is it the official site from where jobs are posted on to LinkedIn just like Chetanas is for Naukri ?

Back