Xiaomi Reveals MIUI 7

eternoMind

Skilled
The highlights of the new version include new default themes and a daily lockscreen with different award-winning photographs each day (this feature will debut in India). The interface is designed to support huge fonts so you don't have to peer at tiny type on high resolution screens.

The insides of MIUI have been spruced up as well, apps should launch 30% faster while overall battery usage will go down 10% compared to version 6.

Xiaomi has integrated Opera Max into MIUI and promises up to 50% data savings (this works for any app that uses the Internet, not just the browser).

MIUI 7 is clever too – it integrates with the Mi Band to detect when you fall asleep and automatically triggers DND. It disables it when you wake up.

MIUI 7 will be available as Beta for the Redmi 1S and Redmi 2, Mi 3, Mi 4, Mi 4i, the Redmi Note 3G and 4G.

Note that only Xiaomi Mi 4i is running MIUI 7 based on Android Lollipop, while the others will run MIUI 7 again, but based on KitKat.

Source

Being a Redmi 1S user, the last two sentences are very important. While I was initially surprised that the 1S will get MIUI 7/Lollipop at all, it is clear from above that only a KK based version of MIUI 7 will be available for the 1S.

A stable version of MIUI 6 itself is not anywhere in sight so a usable version of this iteration of MIUI for older devices like the 1S is nothing more than a pipe-dream. So much for Xiaomi's post popular device in India.

Its just a skinned version of MIUI 6 with not much extra in it.
I too am disappointed with its software update policy. Mi couldn't yet deliver a bug free KitKat update while Android Marshmallow is about to launch.
Other companies too do not provide updates to its phones but none of them make such hoopla of their product launches. Neither their VPs make emotional appeals and fake promises to its customers.

Back