XGD3 Burning Drive - Which one to get?

Hello fellow gamers!

I'm trying to buy a dvd burner compatible with burnermax paytool which I can use to to make my Xbox 360 backups.

Problem is I cant find anything in India(available online atleast)

Can anyone tell me which one should I get?

Afaik, Hitachi or LG or Samsung don't work. High end Sony (robot series) work but they are prohibitively expensive. Anyways as per this list-
http://team-xecuter.com/forums/showthread.php?97292-BurnerMAX-Payload-Tool-Compatibility

This looks like a working drive-
http://www.flipkart.com/hp-dvd1260i...=b_6&ref=a391a827-f5fe-41b6-a0cb-a56902ad6637

Basically all you need is a Liteon drive with a compatible chip inside. Most Liteons are compatible, but some newer ones aren't compatible like the iHas WU (also on flipkart - AVOID). Also, Liteon also makes drives for HP and Asus, and they mostly use the older but compatible chips with them which explains why I'm suggesting an HP drive to you above lol.

Although I suggest you buy locally and explain to the shopkeeper that you are looking for a specific drive only (show the list) and ask for his help. I got the LITE-ON DH-16ABSH11B which wasn't on the list, but I explained my case to the shopkeeper and he offered to take the drive back incase it wasn't compatible. Thankfully, it came payload tool enabled and has since then burnt a handful of games without issues.

For discs, you can go to any Xbox cracking or pirated game selling store in your city and ask for Xbox dual layer blank discs. They are pink in colour and very random in terms of quality. The reason why is that the pink discs all look the same, but some of those discs are either Verbatim (Verbatim - Singapore made) and some are MBIL (Moser Baer - India made). I suppose you can already guess which discs are higher quality and which aren't. In any case these discs are usually 20 or 30 bucks per disc at shops so they're a good deal and good for practise for burning with your new drive as burning the perfect disc that will read in your 360 is another pain in the backside.

Once you're good at burning discs and you've figured out your drives settings, you can buy these expensive discs which are fantastic quality and will 100% burn and read correctly on your 360-
http://www.ebay.in/itm/3-Pk-Verbati...mory_Cards_Pen_Drives_HDD&hash=item1e9895a99c

Lastly, no one uses Burnermax Payload tool anymore. The latest version of imgburn has the Payload tool built in so you literally enable it via settings in imgburn and let the software pick the settings and it'll burn top quality discs for you instantly.

Let me know if you have anymore queries.

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
Afaik, Hitachi or LG or Samsung don't work. High end Sony (robot series) work but they are prohibitively expensive. Anyways as per this list-
http://team-xecuter.com/forums/showthread.php?97292-BurnerMAX-Payload-Tool-Compatibility

This looks like a working drive-
http://www.flipkart.com/hp-dvd1260i...=b_6&ref=a391a827-f5fe-41b6-a0cb-a56902ad6637

Basically all you need is a Liteon drive with a compatible chip inside. Most Liteons are compatible, but some newer ones aren't compatible like the iHas WU (also on flipkart - AVOID). Also, Liteon also makes drives for HP and Asus, and they mostly use the older but compatible chips with them which explains why I'm suggesting an HP drive to you above lol.

Although I suggest you buy locally and explain to the shopkeeper that you are looking for a specific drive only (show the list) and ask for his help. I got the LITE-ON DH-16ABSH11B which wasn't on the list, but I explained my case to the shopkeeper and he offered to take the drive back incase it wasn't compatible. Thankfully, it came payload tool enabled and has since then burnt a handful of games without issues.

For discs, you can go to any Xbox cracking or pirated game selling store in your city and ask for Xbox dual layer blank discs. They are pink in colour and very random in terms of quality. The reason why is that the pink discs all look the same, but some of those discs are either Verbatim (Verbatim - Singapore made) and some are MBIL (Moser Baer - India made). I suppose you can already guess which discs are higher quality and which aren't. In any case these discs are usually 20 or 30 bucks per disc at shops so they're a good deal and good for practise for burning with your new drive as burning the perfect disc that will read in your 360 is another pain in the backside.

Once you're good at burning discs and you've figured out your drives settings, you can buy these expensive discs which are fantastic quality and will 100% burn and read correctly on your 360-
http://www.ebay.in/itm/3-Pk-Verbati...mory_Cards_Pen_Drives_HDD&hash=item1e9895a99c

Lastly, no one uses Burnermax Payload tool anymore. The latest version of imgburn has the Payload tool built in so you literally enable it via settings in imgburn and let the software pick the settings and it'll burn top quality discs for you instantly.

Let me know if you have anymore queries.
thanks a ton bro. This was really helpful.

I guess I'll go to NP since nothing is available online.(the reviews of that FK drive are bad)

Also since Imgburn has payload inbuilt now can we use ANY drive with payload tool enabled or only ones giving a good X360 burns?

I had always used imageburn and Verbatims from singapore before getting it Jtagged.
Yes. I've used imgburn too but luckily I didn't have to buy expensive Verbatims discs. I once bought a pink disc when shopping for them at a local shop and found out it was a Verbatim so I promptly went back in and bought 10 of them as they were all from the same stack. Those 10 discs still aren't done. 20 bucks Verbatim MKM001 yay :)

thanks a ton bro. This was really helpful.

I guess I'll go to NP since nothing is available online.(the reviews of that FK drive are bad)

Also since Imgburn has payload inbuilt now can we use ANY drive with payload tool enabled or only ones giving a good X360 burns?

Well ok. But don't go by those two negative reviews. Remember its a Liteon drive underneath all that Hp packaging. So regardless if you buy Asus or Liteon, it'll be the same hardware and even the Liteon or Asus could give similar problems if it had to.

Yes any drive that could run burnermax payload tool, can run imgburns payload tool. Its basically just a shortcut really. The old procedure was - Open imgburn, open iso in imgburn, run burnermax payload tool software, enable payload tool, go back in imgburn and configure and finally hit burn. But now its - Open imgburn, open iso in imgburn, configure imgburn, enable payload tool (from imgburn only), hit burn.

if u want i have everything needed to tag a xbox ,with the 1tb ps3 with 56 games i havent bothered with jtag in a long time,can do it for you if u can solder i will provide the help and experience,u need to pay for the jtag chipc only

Back