X Box Media Centre users please help

rdst_1

Skilled
Hi all

I have currently started using the xbmc software on my win7 for managing my collection of movies and tv shows.
The problem that i have been facing is that when i play a file only the audio comes and the video isn't displayed. I've tried every format and i can't play the video though the audio plays perfectly. Also i haven't been able to find any codec settings in the software.

so kindly guide me in this regard. any help will be appreciated.

For the uninitiated:this is the software i am talking about

Well we are here to help but please don't crap the forum. Please search the forum about relative topic before making a new thread. I believe you are using the 9.11 'Camelot' build. Well I had briefly tested it and reported in the applications section,http://www.techenclave.com/applications/xbmc-9-11-camelot-out-155301.html, if you wouldn't have been so fast in making the new thread you could've seen that its on the first page itself of the application section. Take care in future mate. :cool2:
As for your problem, in the Settings menu under the Video section, try the "Software" rendering mode instead of Auto or Default. It should do the trick. :)

Sorry for the hastiness.Will look out in the future.

But i still can't rectify the problem i am facing.I couldn't find what you were telling to look for. can you elaborate a bit please as to where to look for as there are two video settings , one when you are playing the file and one in the normal settings tab

Can you please specify the Operating system on which you are using the XBMC and facing the problem? I never faced such issue with Windows version of XBMC so my guess is it is Linux that you are using this on? If it is still Windows that is causing this issue then you better ask at their forum 'cause in case of Window's version it doesn't allows user to change rendering method while in Linux, well its Linux, you can do anything you want to.;)

If its Linux, its under the "System" tab. The Video menu during the playback, is only for changing aspect ratios and subtitles and such.

BTW when you say only audio plays not the video, the screen remains blank black or does it actually flickers in different tones of black, I mean like dark black then bit of reddish-black and such?

well my os is win7 as i have said in my first post

i am on an atom.

the files that i have been playing are avi,mp4,rmvb and the screen remains pitch black with no change whatsoever.

OK, I installed XBMC 9.11 on my laptop as its a Windows 7 machine. It too has ATi GPU and after updating DirectX, XBMC ran fine on it. I too tried the avi,rmvb and wmv files. All played exceptionally well and no scaling issues either as faced by me in case of my desktop. The Atom build you are using, as for graphics is it a 945 build or Ion ?

Hmmm Well I'm a Media Center enthusiast not an expert so on your behalf and for my future reference purpose sake, I googled the problem and even trolled XBMC forum.

While I was able to run XBMC 9.11 flawlessly on my Windows 7 laptop, seems the problem faced by you is more rampant. I'm giving the links of relative threads to you where users have posted there error logs and the Bug ticket itself. Visit them, see them and compare them with your own. If you find any similarity, continue your quest there and even if not then too I suggest better ask there as you will have direct developer's support at your disposal.

No video with XBMC 9.11-b1 [log posted] - XBMC Community Forum

Black screen on video - XBMC Community Forum

P.S- As they keep updating there builds, check out which build of XBMC you are using and if the Camelot has any newer build, download it and see if it works. Also as the XBMC 9.11 now relies on DirectX instead of OpenGL, try updating that too.

well i found a cure for this problem but that might be the case for my pc only or as in this case my friends pc.
let me tell you that even after installing directx 9 properly before the installation of xbmc it always gave the error d3dx9_42.dll missing and we that is both my friend and me had downloaded the file from the net and then pasted it in the required folder.
my friend was facing the same problem of black screen and so he uninstalled the app and reinstalled it and lo and behold the player was playing videos flawlessly.

and so i have come to the conclusion that after copy-pasting the dll file one might need to re-install the app and it might start playing the videos.
just have to try it on my pc now which won't happen for another month as semester exams are going.

rdst_1 said:
well i found a cure for this problem but that might be the case for my pc only or as in this case my friends pc.

let me tell you that even after installing directx 9 properly before the installation of xbmc it always gave the error d3dx9_42.dll missing and we that is both my friend and me had downloaded the file from the net and then pasted it in the required folder.

my friend was facing the same problem of black screen and so he uninstalled the app and reinstalled it and lo and behold the player was playing videos flawlessly.

and so i have come to the conclusion that after copy-pasting the dll file one might need to re-install the app and it might start playing the videos.

just have to try it on my pc now which won't happen for another month as semester exams are going.

Well for answering your query, when I installed XBMC on my Windows 7 machine, I too got the same error but I knew what had to be done and after updating my DirectX using the Web Updater, everything ran smoothly, no need of re-installation either. :cool2:

Back