Audio WTB an IEM (Budget 3K), need suggestions(currently using PL-30)

sh@sh!

Adept
Hi all,

After going through many threads posted here about the same requirement as mine, I have decided to put forward a thread to get a more aligned response.
First of all I'm going to tell my requirements and then gist of what I found from other threads.

About my headphones history:
I'm a casual listener and currently using PL-30 for the past 2+ years. Before that I was using EP-630 and before that sony walkman w550i phone series earphones.
I like PL30 for its mids and clarity, I feel the soundstage is nice enough and bass is adequate for me.

Now coming to my sources:
90% of the time my ipod 4G will be driving them and remaining time I'll be plugging them to my laptop.

Type of music I listen to:
Mostly hindi songs, at times old songs(80's and 90's-vocal centric), some hip-hop/R&B(Basically all dhik-chik ones), linkin park, chemical brothers, recently started listening to adam levine and gym class heroes, Will be moving into electronic/trance genre. I love thumping bass but in a controlled way.

Mostly my music is 320kbps but I do have many songs in 192 and 128VBR formats esp the old ones.

Since I've been using PL-30 for quite sometime now I would like an earphone which is better in clarity and little better in bass. A wider soundstage is very much preferred. I'm satisfied with the build of PL30 and want my new purchase to last 2+ years, so durability is a requirement. Also I don't like to fumble with eartips much and medium caps of PL30 are a snug fit for me.

Apart from these I don't even know what else to look for in a headphone.

Now from the forum I see that Vsonic GR02,GR06 ; MEElectronics M11,M21; Brainwavz M1/M2 are the main contenders in this price bracket.Please suggest something which you guys feel is right for my need.

I hope I'm not asking too much from a non audiophile point of view in this price range you know not on the lines of bhaiya teen hazaar mein taj mahel dena. :) ​Just that I wish to get bang for the buck.

Oh If you're reading this line then Thanks for your patience :) Any help or suggestion is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Brainwavz M5 for a balanced sound with a very powerful yet controlled punch (the one which does all genres well). BEST for rnb, house/trance/dubstep.

Brainwavz M1 for mids,vocals and wide soundstage. BEST for tracks which lay heavy emphasis on vocals n mids.

Go wid M5 if u r not biased towards a particular genre.

PS- i own m5 and m1.
Wud luv to try Vsonic gr02 BE.

Brainwavz M5 for a balanced sound with a very powerful yet controlled punch (the one which does all genres well). BEST for rnb, house/trance/dubstep.

Brainwavz M1 for mids,vocals and wide soundstage. BEST for tracks which lay heavy emphasis on vocals n mids.

Go wid M5 if u r not biased towards a particular genre.

PS- i own m5 and m1.

Pricing of the BRAINWAVZ M5 is a downer; apart from the fact that I have not used it and read about it.

I upgraded from the M1 to the VSONIC GR02 Bass edition. The latter is a very good upgrade, the bass is thoroughly emphasised and has a slight blanket effect on other sound spectrum (mid, vocal), the instrumentation is great; everything sounds good at once unlike the BRAINWAVZ M1 which although I love for its detailing sounds as if the instruments themselves are compartmentalized. If you get what I mean.

The M1 and SoundMAGIC PL-30 are both bass light.

@ALPHA17: True that not heard of M5 before he mentioned it. And what do you mean sound blanket? The sound is not muddled, right? I'm inclined towards GR02 but want to know what is the main difference between GR02 and GR06 and is the price difference justified from my perspective. Also I believe these are without warranty or anything, till now I never cared about this stuff but now thinking if it dies after 6 months then what? Thnks once again for quick replies :)

@arun Thanks for your valuable input though :)

Pricing of the BRAINWAVZ M5 is a downer; apart from the fact that I have not used it and read about it.

I upgraded from the M1 to the VSONIC GR02 Bass edition. The latter is a very good upgrade, the bass is thoroughly emphasised and has a slight blanket effect on other sound spectrum (mid, vocal), the instrumentation is great; everything sounds good at once unlike the BRAINWAVZ M1 which although I love for its detailing sounds as if the instruments themselves are compartmentalized. If you get what I mean.

The M1 and SoundMAGIC PL-30 are both bass light.

Ahaan... Gr02 BE seems to have a huge fan following here on TE :)

I agree wid you on M1...exactly wat i feel.

Mp4nation puts its iems on sale once in a while, so M5 can b bought for as low as 2.4K. M1's for 2500 on pristine.

N M5 is kind of an upgrade over M1...almost the same stuff with an additional n controlled punch... Just the right amount of it. Something that M1 lacks or isnt designed to do.

Coming from similar trend SE Walkman W700i -> EP630 -> PL11-> M1 -> Tekfusion Twinwoofer (had purchased due to short of funds at that time) -> GR02 BE; I must say every time I have bought a new IEM except Tekfusion ones, I have enjoyed music better. GR02 in first listening dint sound that nice but over time with might be a burn in time they are sounding very good. Bass is again better controlled than M1. Also initial muddyness is also not present now in GR02. Overall for 2600 its a good product to have. Cable of M1 was feeling better than any other IEMs and I would rank GR02 as 2nd after M1 in this department.

@ALPHA17: True that not heard of M5 before he mentioned it. And what do you mean sound blanket? The sound is not muddled, right? I'm inclined towards GR02 but want to know what is the main difference between GR02 and GR06 and is the price difference justified from my perspective. Also I believe these are without warranty or anything, till now I never cared about this stuff but now thinking if it dies after 6 months then what? Thnks once again for quick replies :)

^^ I have not had the pleasure of the GR06 so I cannot comment on its performance vis-á-vis the GR02 Bass edition.

w.r.t. to 'sound blanket' what I meant was that the excellent bass tends to wash onto the other sound spectrum but not in a bad way, it makes the instrumentation more lively and engaging to me. This is what the M1 lacks, thanks to its sound optimization for mids and vocals it tends to exhibit (to me) that the individual musician is locked in their separate chamber and the music is piped and then mixed; gives it exceptional detail but also sounds a lot more like a robot / machine.

Hope this gets the point across better.

@ALPHA17 Thanks for the clarification mate, appreciate it..! Then I guess its settled, I'll be going for GR02...Now isn't this available in local market? I mean like in physical shops? I was planning to go to SP road and collect them if someone is selling otherwise have to order from Hifinage. Anyone bought from them btw, how are they?

I was planning to go to SP road and collect them if someone is selling otherwise have to order from Hifinage. Anyone bought from them btw, how are they?

I have got them from HiFiNage. Their service is good. You can order.

@vyral_143 Thanks man, waiting for someone to confirm.. Going to order today then. Thanks again.

VSONIC and BRAINWAVZ are pretty rare to find on the open market here, they are limited to sale via HiFi-nage and Pristine Note / Pro Audio Home, respectively.

This is a final bump to this old thread. @abhi_jollyguy I have placed an order and payment is done. Please ship asap :) To others, thanks a lot guys for all the help. :)

Back