Would you shift out of India if you had an option ?

^ I think even if you are in IT field, you need to get a job before migrating to US and the employer needs to file for H1. One of my friend recently joined Google in Santa Clara and they had to file and sponsor for H1.

^ I think even if you are in IT field, you need to get a job before migrating to US and the employer needs to file for H1. One of my friend recently joined Google in Santa Clara and they had to file and sponsor for H1.

True but in case of IT industry, you can get an H1B from your company in India and go onsite for some time and extend H1 and even shift companies in US if you wish. Also you can easily extend H1 and when eligible apply for green card and eventually citizenship.

Along with all the other possible barriers to moving abroad mentioned in this thread, maybe food is also an issue?
This is anecdotal but most non-Indian restaurants I go to, I find that the percentage of Indians among the patrons is much lower than what one would expect given the large Indian population in the town. Maybe this is because of a lack of options for vegetarians. But it might also be because Indians are slightly less open to other cuisines? (Looking at my relatives, I would point to this. :p After my first couple of suggestions didn't go down well, I only go to Indian restaurants with them.)

My younger brother who has been to US for 6 months is dying to go back to either US or Canada as he feels his job (Hotel Management) will have better opportunities abroad. But for his case it is not that simple that some employer will apply an H1 for him and call him. It probably does not work as easily as it works in IT industry (i feel).

If it is a customer facing job, it might be slightly difficult because of a few factors. There are still a lot of customers who will expect to deal with a local. There is also the fact that for a Hotel Management job, there is a fairly large pool of local candidates who have been out of work since the recession and wages are rather suppressed currently. Any company is also going to consider the time and expense involved on the side of the company to process a H1B. (I know this because a friend is attempting to find a job in the US. He is currently employed as an assistant manager in a hotel in Dubai but is having trouble making the transition).

Umm. normally yes you need a job but given the number of "desi" consulting companies, there are chances of of having H1B without a job. I know some of my IT colleagues working there on such visas.

Trust me, friends and family is all that matters in life.

Better roads, courteous people, better cars etc. etc. won't matter to you once you get used to it.

In fact, I have an experience to share. When I was young I would live in a small colony among many of my best friends but my house was cramped and small. My dad came upon some money and we decided to shift to a better locality. It had the best gymnasium, best swimming pool, really large house, basically everything you could wish for. At first, I couldn't wait to move into my house. Even after moving for a month or so I thought I was really happy. But, once the novelty wore off, I was miserable cause I couldn't be with my friends.

Best lesson of my life.

For the folks who in the thread who keep mentioning that it would be good to stay in US/outside till they are like 45-50 and then make the shift back after having lived the 'good' life, do understand that shifting at that point back is really difficult. You are probably gonna have kids then who would not be willing to go back / adjust in india. Plus you would be so used to a comfortable life that shifting and adjusting back to india would seem like a nightmare to you. My 2 cents. :)

For someone who has been 5 years abroad (in US), i do see the benefits like better standard of living, better pay, more items etc. But I also realize that at the end, all that we accumulate is just nothing without family or friends.

Yes, India has its issues and its problems. I do acknowledge that.
But the life you live in India is much fuller I believe and more rich than a dull and materialistic one outside.

lmao btw... about all this family first stuff (of course except your father/mother/brother/sister). such a stark contrast to the being.smart thread about relatives asking for money. living as a joint family these days would be a horrible lifestyle choice.

lmao btw... about all this family first stuff (of course except your father/mother/brother/sister). such a stark contrast to the being.smart thread about relatives asking for money. living as a joint family these days would be a horrible lifestyle choice.

I'm all with you on this but for some people, it is not a choice but an obligation.

Move out of India, Why? Here you can commit a crime and go unpunished for years and then get acquitted. Heck, if you are below the age of 18 you can commit as many crimes as you want.

To those who want to leave - You guys must be crazy, go commit a crime and chill...

I would shift in a heartbeat. Most probably shifting to Canada. A strong brown population, low population density. Good clean environment.

Everyone complaining about friends should take a look at themselves. Are you letting yourself open up and make new friends in this new place? Or are you being judgmental and anti social?

Family? I love my immediately family and wish they would be with me (Wont happen, but I can always fly them over to stay with me for a couple of months every now and then) but I would rather not suffer the dynamics of an extended family living nearby.

Everyone complaining about friends should take a look at themselves. Are you letting yourself open up and make new friends in this new place? Or are you being judgmental and anti social?

Then why is a 'strong brown population' a factor for you?

Then why is a 'strong brown population' a factor for you?

A strong brown population equates to getting brown things, like Indian food. When I have a kid, he/she can easily relate to India by reducing the culture shock from never seeing brown people to only seeing brown people.

And yes obviously would still love to have the culture in my life. What I do not like about India has nothing to with traditions and culture and everything to do with inequality and vote bank politics which is making it harder for someone who is not SC/ST to get a meaningful education and a good job.

Not to mention the redtape, corruption and ass kissing the officials to get the smallest thing done. And the judgmental people who never open up to someone outside their own culture.

For example: You need to register an apartment that you just bought. If I had known the local language, it would have cost be 5000 in bribes. I ended up having to pay 12k. The fact that I have to pay bribes to get something done itself is obnoxious, the fact that they are being racist abt bribes is down right pathetic!

People say "Dont ask what the country has done for you, ask what you have done for the country"

I paid my taxes, I lived by the rules, I worked hard and I helped people in need. What did I get? a face full of crap! So yes, I would move out asap and take anyone I love with me if possible.

PS: I love India, I love the value that it stands for. But what it is now, what it has become is disgusting and I wouldnt delude myself into thinking that things will change any time soon.

A strong brown population equates to getting brown things, like Indian food. When I have a kid, he/she can easily relate to India by reducing the culture shock from never seeing brown people to only seeing brown people.

And yes obviously would still love to have the culture in my life. What I do not like about India has nothing to with traditions and culture and everything to do with inequality and vote bank politics which is making it harder for someone who is not SC/ST to get a meaningful education and a good job.

Not to mention the redtape, corruption and ass kissing the officials to get the smallest thing done. And the judgmental people who have never open to someone outside their own culture.

For example: You need to register an apartment that you just bought. If I had known the local language, it would have cost be 5000 in bribes. I ended up having to pay 12k. The fact that I have to pay bribes to get something done itself is obnoxious, the fact that they are being racist abt bribes is down right pathetic!

People say "Dont ask what the country has done for you, ask what you have done for the country"

I paid my taxes, I lived by the rules, I worked hard and I helped people in need. What did I get? a face full of crap! So yes, I would move out asap and take anyone I love with me if possible.

PS: I love India, I love the value that it stands for. But what it is now, what it has become is disgusting and I wouldnt delude myself into thinking that things will change any time soon.

You spoke my mind.

Hypocrisy is not a vice. ;)

Pattaya would be great for you if your career ambition is to be a pimp.
Singapore is a good option (The chinese veg cuisine is awesome and healthy, food is cheap) but it is too crowded and people have the anti-foreigner sentiment now. US and UK appeal to me but I wont be able to stay away from India as I get homesick frequently :(.
Any place on earth can be a good place to stay if you earn well and have enough money.

Back