Would you shift out of India if you had an option ?

I would.

There is nothing much left in this nation, and it is getting more and more corrupt due to our politicians and it hardly functions. India, basically runs on auto-pilot and people have no respect for each other. I would rather live in sullen Europe or materialistic America where people do not talk to you, or remain aloof; respectively. Call it self-hate or a negative attitude, but 12 years of working in India has left me with bitterness and no accord for my mother-land. I have been successful in my career, but the daily struggle and slog of life along with no value for humanity, animal, or weed is burning me out pronto. This is exponentially increasing as I get older and will reach an infliction point post retirement. We are a degenerate[ing] society, caught in the cusp of modernization and old-world culture we are so proud of. Put it this way: I am not too fond of my country man nor do I like to interact with them. Abroad will be better, alone and way way less people.

:)

You sir have really put it well here. No seriously. :hail:

:rofl::lol:
I can imagine you shouting in Sunil Shetty's voice, sleeping in the sand in the middle of Thar desert.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd move forever to Finland and some scandinavian countries.

- - - Updated - - -

I second, third fourth fifth that... :p
I would.

There is nothing much left in this nation, and it is getting more and more corrupt due to our politicians and it hardly functions. India, basically runs on auto-pilot and people have no respect for each other. I would rather live in sullen Europe or materialistic America where people do not talk to you, or remain aloof; respectively. Call it self-hate or a negative attitude, but 12 years of working in India has left me with bitterness and no accord for my mother-land. I have been successful in my career, but the daily struggle and slog of life along with no value for humanity, animal, or weed is burning me out pronto. This is exponentially increasing as I get older and will reach an infliction point post retirement. We are a degenerate[ing] society, caught in the cusp of modernization and old-world culture we are so proud of. Put it this way: I am not too fond of my country man nor do I like to interact with them. Abroad will be better, alone and way way less people.

I always wanted to go abroad and live there, but after being here for 1.5 years I would really like to come back. Without actually living in a foreign country for some time the idea of living in a developed country seems really attractive and intriguing, but after you get there you might feel differently. The people there do not share your first-language, there is a stark cultural difference and the majority already have a certain perception about you just by the color of your skin. And I wouldn't blame them, the majority of Indians that come here are from small towns or villages and thus help in perpetuating stereotypes about us. You cant really relate with the Indians here that come from India, and the majority of the ones that were brought up here have a sense of 'superiority' while interacting with the newly arrived Indians.

Although yeah, the work ethic and the ease of living here certainly beckons you, but it can get depressing at times and I think peace of mind is more important then all of the things western countries have to offer.

Racism is everywhere in some form or other.
I always wanted to go abroad and live there, but after being here for 1.5 years I would really like to come back. Without actually living in a foreign country for some time the idea of living in a developed country seems really attractive and intriguing, but after you get there you might feel differently. The people there do not share your first-language, there is a stark cultural difference and the majority already have a certain perception about you just by the color of your skin. And I wouldn't blame them, the majority of Indians that come here are from small towns or villages and thus help in perpetuating stereotypes about us. You cant really relate with the Indians here that come from India, and the majority of the ones that were brought up here have a sense of 'superiority' while interacting with the newly arrived Indians.

Although yeah, the work ethic and the ease of living here certainly beckons you, but it can get depressing at times and I think peace of mind is more important then all of the things western countries have to offer.

I've always thought that this would be the case if I were to go and live in a developed country.

Tell me what kind of stereotypes these people have about us and how you feel discriminated against generally (even if in a subtle manner).

I've heard of the whole 'curry lovers', 'smelly Indians', unclean, dirty blah blah......bad English and all that....but anything else ?

Ummm had a similar discussion with friends recently , where one of the friend asked " If your home gets dirty and messed up , do you clean it or leave it to find a new home ? " but then at the same time , " one can try cleaning his home but if it gets to a point that 3 members are dirtying it and one is cleaning it , he will someday end up giving up and leaving the place if he can't bring a change in the 3 members "

Having said that I personally can never say I would want to settle abroad for sure , would definitely like to travel around the country and also the world , if i find the perfect place where I feel at peace .. might as well settle down . After all these physical boundaries and countries were made by man , but the world wasn't ;). That same old motherland feeling for this country just doesn't come from within anymore ..

Racism is everywhere in some form or other.
Yeah definitely, and I'm not saying that one shoudnt go abroad, after all the case may be different for somebody else and one might gel in quite well.

I've always thought that this would be the case if I were to go and live in a developed country.

Tell me what kind of stereotypes these people have about us and how you feel discriminated against generally (even if in a subtle manner).

I've heard of the whole 'curry lovers', 'smelly Indians', unclean, dirty blah blah......bad English and all that....but anything else ?

The thing is its difficult to relate to them as their culture and upbringing has been vastly different. People there generally dont like Indians that much, and people who were born there would always be preferred over you.

The thing is its difficult to relate to them as their culture and upbringing has been vastly different. People there generally dont like Indians that much, and people who were born there would always be preferred over you.

I always thought Canadians were nice.

Well, our own country men indulge in all sorts discrimination and stereotyping to a much higher degree than people of any other western country. And yeah, it doesn't matter whether our people are in India or outside. I guess eons of practicing all sorts of discrimination made our people that way. These days, even in America, the whites discriminating against blacks is nothing compared to the discrimination meted out to both by Indians. This is something my sister is experiencing everyday in US. I myself have closely worked with and interacted with people of several different countries/cultures and Indians are always the first to make stereotypes and ridicule people different from them. In fact, they don't even leave other Indians alone. People are stereotyped based on color, region, religion, language, gender and every other possible difference that they find compared to themselves.

As for the original question, I already had opportunity to permanently move to US about 7 years back, but I refused the opportunity. It was simply because I had no interest in moving to another country. Most people go outside to earn money or looking for a better way of life. I don't want to live to earn money, So I have no such ambitions/desires to migrate to another country. But unlike some other Indians, I am not plagued by ideas of false pride and self delusion about our countries greatness either (commonly portrayed as patriotism by people who don't understand the difference). I understand pretty well that our country, its culture and its people aren't anything great and quite far from it right now and in fact often a source of shame. But then, me moving to another country is not going to change anything either. I do whatever I can in my own way and I am fine with that.

My personal experience has been good for whatever short stint i had in the US. Apart from money what i valued more there was my family life, i was able to spend more (than in India) time at my home outside work. This might be just my case or probably i am wrong but i found quality of life better in a developed nation and major contributors was non hectic travel time (currently i spend total 3 Hours traveling daily) , more family life and mostly importantly ease of getting things done, especially because corruption is not that much prevalent at the lower level of the hierarchy, which is where we as a common person deals with.
Apart from USA i have stayed in China for a good period and my personal experience of that country is that it is almost similar to India. If you have been staying in a major city in India and live in a major city in China (like Shanghai, Beijing) the experience was almost similar.

would never shift out of India permanently. Reason : Family , Friends, Relatives, HOME. I guess however deplorable situation is, if you are with your loved ones u make through. And even if u drive a ferrari and live in a porsh society but away from your people u will get bored after sometime.

Thats my perception.

lol take it from someone who has been living outside for 5 straight years now, this is extremely true. Not possible without family and even then, you have to really love at least some aspects of the culture of the country you go to, even if it is developed for you to still stick there. You'll have to make some effort to get over the language barrier, even if its also an English-centric country, there's a lot of difference. Unless you came here as a kid, might be hard to adjust unless you really begin to love the place.

You can go to a developed country, get all the crazy gadgets, etc, it won't mean anything at all without true friends around you. Another thing you'll learn is that developed countries aren't like what Hollywood feeds you.

- - - Updated - - -

I would.

That's the problem in India. The population:resource ratio is extremely skewed, leading to basic corruption in every day life and lack of empathy. I don't care how much of a saint you think you are, but nobody is 'uncorruptable' in India, simply because you need to be corrupt, at least to some level, just to survive and reach medium/high class societies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Behavioral_sink

^Root of all problems in India, imho. No wonder people are trying to get out. Its like population self correction. You think USA won't degrade to a 3rd world nation when it suddenly wakes up with a billion+ people to feed instead of 300 million that it has now? Go to NYC, outside times square. Its basically halfway through turning into a 3rd world metropolitan city. Traffic jams everywhere, no lane driving, garbage/piss on the streets with a lot of homeless and beggars, not as much as Indian cities right now, but the intensity is definitely racking up. Turns out its also the most populated city in the US. Its no coincidence.

Well, our own country men indulge in all sorts discrimination and stereotyping to a much higher degree than people of any other western country. And yeah, it doesn't matter whether our people are in India or outside. I guess eons of practicing all sorts of discrimination made our people that way. These days, even in America, the whites discriminating against blacks is nothing compared to the discrimination meted out to both by Indians. This is something my sister is experiencing everyday in US. I myself have closely worked with and interacted with people of several different countries/cultures and Indians are always the first to make stereotypes and ridicule people different from them. In fact, they don't even leave other Indians alone. People are stereotyped based on color, region, religion, language, gender and every other possible difference that they find compared to themselves.

I'm not trying to say that these people are outright racist or discriminatory, they are rather accommodating. I'm quite sure that if the roles were reversed and we Indians were in place of them, they would have had a really bad time.
And that was my personal view, I'd favor India as I personally wont be a second-class citizen in India. :p

My plan is to shift out, earn bucket loads, return to India by I'm 40-45 and enjoy an early retirement, buying the best bikes out there >.<

Quite late to the thread but I have pondered about this (and been asked about it) quite a few times. This is what I have realised.

All my friends/acquaintances/relatives who have gone abroad can be squarely placed in 3 categories -

1. The hyper-optimists - People who go abroad thinking that it will solve all their problems. "We have left behind our hellhole and are now in the promised land. We'll be fed honey and milk and people will be welcoming us with open arms!". These people go with a false sense of expectation and come back bitterly disappointed. If we have 5 problems here, they will have another set of 5 problems there.

2. The hypocrites - These people go with a very narrow minded approach. It may be money, it may be the "respect" factor among relatives or any one of the other myriad of reasons. It can be anything else but not because they want the new experience. They do not want to understand the new culture, they do not want to understand their point of view, they are not comfortable with change. Even after going to a new country, they will only interact with their own people. They come back and tell everyone how cold the people are there and how they do not like to talk to "us". They will sing praises about India but you will find them living abroad for decades, even if they are unhappy.

Now, my favourite category -

3. The realists - These are the people who do not go with any pre-conceived notions. They go there simply for the experience (money and job prospects might be influencing factors, but not dominant) and are ready to understand and embrace the culture and people there. They understand that they might be stereotyped and they might have to prove themselves. They also understand that their culture is mightily different (third-world vs first-world) and it might take time to understand and break-through the ice. At the same time, they are very comfortable with their own identity and roots. These people are the most likely to succeed. I believe (and have seen) so because they are true to themselves and at the same time, they make an effort.

Since I have yet to go abroad, I cannot give you my experience. But I will say that if and when I go, I can promise you that I will be going as a realist. I'll be going with an open mind. If I find that I can live with their negatives and the overall scale is in my favour, I will stay there otherwise I will look for other options.

However, I must agree regarding what many have said about India. It is precariously close to the edge of the cliff. With a burgeoning population, rampant corruption, rising inflation and low growth rates, it is not going to be a pretty place to live in the (near) future.

Quite late to the thread but I have pondered about this (and been asked about it) quite a few times. This is what I have realised.

All my friends/acquaintances/relatives who have gone abroad can be squarely placed in 3 categories -

1. The hyper-optimists - People who go abroad thinking that it will solve all their problems. "We have left behind our hellhole and are now in the promised land. We'll be fed honey and milk and people will be welcoming us with open arms!". These people go with a false sense of expectation and come back bitterly disappointed. If we have 5 problems here, they will have another set of 5 problems there.

2. The hypocrites - These people go with a very narrow minded approach. It may be money, it may be the "respect" factor among relatives or any one of the other myriad reasons. It can be anything else but not because they want the new experience. They do not want to understand the new culture, they do not want to understand their point of view, they are not comfortable with change. Even after going to a new country, they will only interact with their own people. They come back and tell everyone how cold the people are there and how they do not like to talk to "us". They will sing praises about India but you will find them living abroad for decades, even if they are unhappy.

Now, my favourite category -

3. The realists - These are the people who do not go with any pre-conceived notions. They go there simply for the experience (money and job prospects might be influencing factors, but not dominant) and are ready to understand and embrace the culture and people there. They understand that they might be stereotyped and they might have to prove themselves. They also understand that their culture is mightily different (third-world vs first-world) and it might take time to understand and break-through the ice. At the same time, they are very comfortable with their own identity and roots. These people are the most likely to succeed. I believe (and have seen) so because they are true to themselves and at the same time, they make an effort.

Since I have yet to go abroad, I cannot give you my experience. But I will say that if and when I go, I can promise you that I will be going as a realist. I'll be going with an open mind. If I find that I can live with their negatives and the overall scale is in my favour, I will stay there otherwise I will look for other options.

However, I must agree regarding what many have said about India. It is precariously close to the edge of the cliff. With a burgeoning population, rampant corruption, rising inflation and low growth rates, it is not going to be a pretty place to live in the (near) future.

Completely agree with this post.

I've lived in the US for 4+ years now after having moved here in 2009. I was 25 when I moved, to give things a perspective. There is always an effort required to integrate into any place you move to. (One faces the same issue even while moving to another city/state within India). People might complain about aloofness/reservations that people have in the US. I don't see that. It is just that the familiarity (maybe even over-familiarity) that is quickly assumed in Indian social interactions is not present in western cultures. That is not racism. They are not being cold to non-americans. That is an attitude displayed regardless of citizenship/race.

Also, I don't agree with the 'second-class citizens' tag that is being utilised here. To be frank, it is easier to become a second-class citizen in India. If a person is not in the sweet spot of a social or economic section or is a slight outlier from what is considered "normal" behaviour, life in India is not very rosy. There is a lot of prejudice and stereotyping. When I met new people in India, I noticed the initial conversations involved trying to estimate and place each other in a economic/social hierarchy and that estimate tends to colour all future interactions. I am rather glad that the situations where I have to deal with things like that are much fewer now.

To be frank, it is easier to become a second-class citizen in India. If a person is not in the sweet spot of a social or economic section or is a slight outlier from what is considered "normal" behaviour, life in India is not very rosy. There is a lot of prejudice and stereotyping.

Tell me about it. :apathy:

Back