Wireless router suggestions?

Aces170

ex-Mod
Sis got a VAIO netbook, hence need a wireless router. Budget approx.2.5k, I have an MTNL ADSL modem, with a single RJ45 connector (so can I hook the router to the RJ45 jack and then distribute to my PC and wireless?)

Thanks

Aces170 said:
Sis got a VAIO netbook, hence need a wireless router. Budget approx.2.5k, I have an MTNL ADSL modem, with a single RJ45 connector (so can I hook the router to the RJ45 jack and then distribute to my PC and wireless?)

Thanks

Yes you can do that. Most wireless routers (if not all, I think), have a RJ45 modem port and a bunch of regular LAN ports.
Aces170 said:
I dont think that router has 802.11n support?
http://www.techenclave.com/dealers-paradise/asus-300mbps-dsl-wireless-n-router-175379.html

Will the above one work with an ADSL modem?
If your intention is to plug and play, set it and forget it, DON'T get the N13-U. I have it and have been through quiet a bit of pain with it. Frequent disconnections. Inability to handle big loads(multiple torrents in parallel, slows down like crazy), etc.
I did end up fixing most of my problems by shifting from the shitty stock firmware to DDWRT. However, not all revisions of the N13-U are DDWRT compatible. Also, it still gets killed when running torrents directly onto a usb connected device.

papul1993 said:
Don't most wireless routers have ADSL modem in built?
No they don't.

i have never had a problem with N13U - A1 except with Download master . although i have tested it with max of 3 wireless devices

Stalker: thanks for the heads up, but I suppose most of the reviews said not to run more then 2 torrents. Besides thats the only router here where I could find the 802.11n support. Googled a bit and the revision B1 does not support DDWRT firmware. 802.11n is a priority as almost all new wi-fi devices will support the spec, besides the range also improves. Any other alternatives you can suggest?

Aces170 said:
Stalker: thanks for the heads up, but I suppose most of the reviews said not to run more then 2 torrents. Besides thats the only router here where I could find the 802.11n support. Googled a bit and the revision B1 does not support DDWRT firmware. 802.11n is a priority as almost all new wi-fi devices will support the spec, besides the range also improves. Any other alternatives you can suggest?
Are you sure about it being the only available option? Why not just call up Prime and ask for the available options given your budget? I'm sure you'll have better choices.

I also have one of these http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=459569
This has been much better at the set it and forget it type of functionality

few months back belkin also launched a couple of new devices having the same features as asus firmware. check if the models are available in india

Back