Wireless network b/w desktop and laptop

mohit1981

Disciple
Hi,

I have recently purchased Dell Inspiron running on windows 7 home premium. I also have a desktop pc with windows xp professional installed.

Now I would like to share the contents between the two wirelessly. Also would like to protect the file/folders so that no other person apart from me can view or see the shared contents/folders.

Please advise how to achieve the said goal.

I tried following the steps on microsoft site, but I am unable to password protect the file/folders on windows xp and also unable to see the windows 7 shared contents on windows xp. They say that in order to share the 'homegroup' name should be the same on shared computers. Now the name 'workgroup' I guess is default name for it and would be same for many computers.

If someone can guide me with easy to understand steps, it would be great....Thanks

#mohit1981 Assuming that you wish to transfer the files wirelessly between the desktop and the laptop, you will need to convert the laptop to a hotspot. This can be done either using Windows 7 Virtual Wifi command line tool OR the Intel myWifi utility. Next share the folders so they are visible.

Back