Windows Xp Sp2 Major Issues

vishalk

Adept
Hi guys,

I am in a major headache since last night, my systems been giving me some crappy error, something to do with alg.exe...as u all knwo application layer gateway, a service of windows xp. Just to fill u guys in here, i have windows xp sp2 not updated at all, ESET smart security suite ver 3.0.672, fully updated.

What happened last night is that for the 1st time i got the following error message

The instruction at 0x7c92d9cd referenced memory at 0x0000008.The memory would not be read...click ok to terminate the program or click on cancel to debug the program.

Now on seeing this error, i ran through my firewall, ESET and found that some ip was trying to make contact to the system at the time of this error which i have blocked.

I have also scanned the system using avast bart cd, but have found nothing, also scanned using spyware doctor and super antispyware, but nothing found. I also have done a hijack this scan but nothing there too....

So, can some1 help me understand, what is wrong here?

I dont think this issue is VIRUS or any SPYWARE related.

It was just hardware data mis-match or something.

Is it happening always or just happened once ?

Hi,

Thanks guys for replying...i shall lay it in points so therez no confussion...

1. system has jus been formatted coz its a brand new hdd, wd 500gb hdd and i had re-downloaded all drivers and have also flashed the bios but all this was done a week ago and this issue came up jus 2 days ago.
2. this occurs randomly, when tis occurs, i get 2 choices and they are either to terminate the program or to debug, but whatever i choose, alg.exe terminates.
3. further reading online shows me that this is related to network, it could be hacking as well, where the hacker is trying to acess alg.exe but in the upper memory, which is causing the crash....jus a speculation though.
4. what i have done is blocked port 1025 and all trafic to alg.exe

i hope this will help us understand...

so blocking the network access to alg has stopped the error ?

or it is not even stopping after that ? what if alg is allowed access are the packets which are recvd/sent are too high or too low ?

"What is alg.exe?

The alg.exe executable allows applications (such as IM clients, RTSP, BitTorrent, SIP, and FTP) from a client computer to dynamically utilize passive TCP/ UDP ports in communicating with known ports on a server. This allows software to access applications that reside on another computer even if there is a firewall.

The alg.exe file’s absence would cause the security protocols to block communication ports, or for network administrators to consciously open numerous ports on the firewall that would create immense network vulnerability and potential threats.

The development of alg.exe was done within the context of computer networking architectures, where it is associated with the Application Level (or Layer) Gateway Service, as well as Network Address Translation, and is designed to supplement the firewall protection of a network.

Recommendation: alg.exe should not be disabled, required for essential applications to work properly.

Your PC's drivers may be out of date. This may cause hardware failures, conflicts and complete system crashes."

As per info provided on a website...

Although I personally have had no major problems with Windows XP Service Pack 2, there are a lot of people ... Backup and Recovery Issues with Windows Server 2008 (Part 1) ... Windows XP SP2 New Security Features Review ...

coolraghav said:
so blocking the network access to alg has stopped the error ?

or it is not even stopping after that ? what if alg is allowed access are the packets which are recvd/sent are too high or too low ?
hey,

thanks for replying to my query...yes, blocking acess to alg.exe on the firewall as well as port 1025 on tcp and udp has done the job, so far so good, it is been taken care off. the service since the past 8 hrs or so has not yet crashed at all....

btw, my im clients and torrents and all other apps which i am using are working fine no issues whatsoever after blocking alg.exe...

Prole73 said:
"What is alg.exe?

The alg.exe executable allows applications (such as IM clients, RTSP, BitTorrent, SIP, and FTP) from a client computer to dynamically utilize passive TCP/ UDP ports in communicating with known ports on a server. This allows software to access applications that reside on another computer even if there is a firewall.

The alg.exe file’s absence would cause the security protocols to block communication ports, or for network administrators to consciously open numerous ports on the firewall that would create immense network vulnerability and potential threats.

The development of alg.exe was done within the context of computer networking architectures, where it is associated with the Application Level (or Layer) Gateway Service, as well as Network Address Translation, and is designed to supplement the firewall protection of a network.

Recommendation: alg.exe should not be disabled, required for essential applications to work properly.

Your PC's drivers may be out of date. This may cause hardware failures, conflicts and complete system crashes."

As per info provided on a website...
hi,

thanks for the info which i already knew...anyways currently am blocking aces to alg.exe and port 1025 which has taken care of the issue at hand..

thanks....

Patch your system up fully, so a SP3 and then a full windows update, if someone is misusing a vulnerability in your windows, its prolly because its not updated. This would alleviate the cause to a very large extent.

Be warned, if your windows is not genuine you will be stuck with a nagging Genuine Windows prompt.

Hi all,

Firstly once again thanks every1 for comming to my rescue...as suggested by y guys, i have done the following...

1. updated xp to the current update but not yet put in sp3.
2. have run chkdsk with /r/f command and have found nothing..
3. as of now, as mentioned b4, i have blocked alg.exe and port 1025 and therez nothing crashed in the past 2 days ...
4. as suggested have also chkd the ram and everything ok...
5. have connected an external hdd with the similar xpsp2 with updates and no sp3 and have also done the same modifications witht the firewall..no crash yet..

so now, what i intend todo...get rid of the fw modifications on both the hdds and then see if the error generates again..

any other help is as always appreciated..

Back