Windows 8 taking over 6 GB ram on startup

_Atif_

Disciple
My windows 8 is hogging too much RAM and I have no idea what is using it.
It is using over 6 GB ram but total ram used by all processes is not even 1 GB. The highest by any process is 49 MB
What is using this ram? Anyone else had this issue?

1.jpg

2.jpg

Go into details tab on the task manager & sort by memory to see the resource with the highest consumption...

also try starting the task manager as administrator. It seems that you have some disk activity, may be a antivirus scan running in background on start up.

maybe its just windows super fetch? does your computer actually feel slow?

try this if you want detailed breakup of your RAM usage:

RAMMap

maybe its just windows super fetch? does your computer actually feel slow?

try this if you want detailed breakup of your RAM usage:

RAMMap

The system is fast. Its been only 10 days since I installed windows 8. I just want to ensure that its the OS and not some malicious program.

Following screenshot is from the RAMMap. Tell me what you can make out of the screenshot.

3.jpg

[FONT=Arial, Liberation Sans, DejaVu Sans, sans-serif]you can add the column "NP Pool" to the "Details" tab on Task Manager you don't need 3rd party apps for such basic info's.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Liberation Sans, DejaVu Sans, sans-serif]Add the column NP Pool on your Task Manager it will show you the process that is using 5 GB Memory[/FONT]

non paged pool, means some kernel driver is leaking memory.

either you can figure out which one and disable it or just reinstall windows.

You will need to add Np pool column to task manager under Details tab in windows 8 task manager in order to view the memory leaking application. Search for newer windows 8 versions of the application or drivers or uninstall it.

I found the culprit, it was the Intellimemory software which was installed automatically by the Samsung software update. It caches HDD on RAM for faster execution of applications.
I will uninstall it and compare whether the system performance is better with it or without it.

Back