Windows 7 RC Observations & Screenshots

Naga said:
All drivers and utilities working fine (multitouch track pad, webcam etc.).

Your netbook has multitouch??? Can you post some thoughts of how it works along with the Win7 UI? Stuff like zooming, panning, rotating etc, are they smooth?

vishalrao said:
Your netbook has multitouch??? Can you post some thoughts of how it works along with the Win7 UI? Stuff like zooming, panning, rotating etc, are they smooth?

Works great. No lag, smooth as silk. I really like the zoom feature. Really helps out when using just the track pad.

Also, BSNL EVDO drivers have to be manually installed. Initially was worried when the installation failed even after setting compatibility to XP.

I'm seriously considering signing up as a 7 fanboi :eek:hyeah: !

^I'm yet to switch over to the 7100 RC. 7057 has been super smooth so far. The best part being installation getting completed in less than 20 mins via the USB drive. :p

K.... I am still getting problem with Chrome 2.0.172.33 Beta Version....
Faced frequent crashes....

The Only Browser working right is Mozilla Firefox...
Though it is good...
But am Missing the speed of Chrome and Safari.....

Also having problem with KM Player...Latest version its choppy in begining and end of Playback....
And in fullscreen mode auto hide menus fails to come out........

:huh: :huh: Anyways one thing I want to ask if I am getting serial from Microsoft...then for how many days that shall be active.....:huh: :huh: :huh:

Actually after Installing Win 7 RC,
I installed Orbit Patch for Beta version BY mistake ...
And Now Genuine advantage Popups tends to come all the time and its iritaing....

U should not have patched it. Now even if u activate, it won't work.
See if there is a way to remove the Orbit Patcher completely. :no:
Then try to activae and u'll get till June next year.

K...then I shall go for reinstalling it I suppose.....

Damn done it wrong...Cant remove it...Even the "Activate Now" Link is not working...... Throwing an error when I click it....

Anyways, thanks for the period of Activation you told about clown abhi

Should have done it in first place...Stupid me...

Ran into a problem with 7 on my wife's rig. The screen would go all fuzzy when opening any game/ screensaver or the nVidia "set image quality with preview" tab in the nVidia control panel. It was the same problem which I had faced with Vista on the same 7900GT. On Vista I couldn't log into Windows without the corruption but here it happens only when rendering something. A quick underclock of the factory OCced card's memory fixed the issue. This is a documented glitch on all factory occed 7900GTs with Vista which has been carried over, it seems.

There was another issue with installation on my friend's eeePC 1002HA. The screen would go black as soon as reaching the log on screen. Only solution would be pressing the sleep button and waking it up again for the logon screen to be visible. The work around:

Set the user account to auto logon.

Prepare a bat file with the following code and add it to the start-up folder:

Code:
displayswitch /extend

displayswitch /internal

This seems to be a BIOS problem with most of the new eeePCs, 10xx series. A permanent workaround is dependent on BIOS updates from Asus.

Cannot post my sources for the solutions as I was pretty worked up about the problems and I don't remember which posts/ sites helped me exactly, what with searching over a gazillion sites/ forums and double the work arounds :S !

Edit: Just wanted to mention that my friend's eeePC's got only 1GB RAM and Win 7 is still as fast. No sluggishness whatsoever!

this is tempting. :D

is a 10gb partition enough for installing windows 7? i wont be installing many apps. i just wanna try it out.

also is anyone using x64 version on 2gb ram? hows the performance?

viralbug said:
this is tempting. :D

is a 10gb partition enough for installing windows 7? i wont be installing many apps. i just wanna try it out.

also is anyone using x64 version on 2gb ram? hows the performance?
I would recommend 20GB at a minimum. I gave it 20Gb and after all the basic apps installed, I have 2-3 GB left. Wish I had given it more to start with.

whatsinaname said:
I would recommend 20GB at a minimum. I gave it 20Gb and after all the basic apps installed, I have 2-3 GB left. Wish I had given it more to start with.

How many basic apps do you have :huh: :D

Mine took just 9GB without any apps... So 15GB would be more than enough I guess!

20gb with basic apps? you must be having huge basic apps.

the thing is, i dont have any space on my hdd. i have only a 10gb partition i can play around with. i dont wanna upgrade my vista installation just now.

i searched and found a few guys tried installing on 10gb. a couple faced problems while a few said it works pretty good. i think the installation takes about 9 gb.

although yes min 20gb is the ideal space required for installation. one little drawback of win 7.

amol_cool said:
How many basic apps do you have :huh: :D

Mine took just 9GB without any apps... So 15GB would be more than enough I guess!

viralbug said:
20gb with basic apps? you must be having huge basic apps.

the thing is, i dont have any space on my hdd. i have only a 10gb partition i can play around with. i dont wanna upgrade my vista installation just now.

i searched and found a few guys tried installing on 10gb. a couple faced problems while a few said it works pretty good. i think the installation takes about 9 gb.

although yes min 20gb is the ideal space required for installation. one little drawback of win 7.

Like I said, I have 2-3 GB left.

I do have openoffice, msoffice etc installed on that drive as well. So yeah, maybe 15Gb would also work.

I also just did a fresh install of the RC on my parent's computer. It shows 12Gb being used by the windows drive. (I have just the basic apps installed - Firefox, GTalk, Avast, Foxit Reader and WinRAR).

Im facing a bug where some/all pinned programs in start menu disappear if I try to rearrange them..

I'm presently using build 7068, anyone facing this in RC?

^ Yes, M0h1t... it happens in RC too. I am on 7100 build.

When this happens, just go to start menu properties > start menu tab > unselect and select again any of the checkboxes in privacy box and hit apply. Your pinned programs will appear properly again.

Back