Windows 7 or wait for Windows 8

ubergeek said:
Hey guys i have win 7 ultimate now if i get an option to upgrade to win 8 how much will it cost me

??

MS has not disclosed pricing AFAIK, but expect it to be in the same league as W7 was for retail. For W8U upgrade, i would expect it to be at least ~ 100USD

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

puneetritehere said:
First of all, windows 7 is not any major upgrade from vista. its more a like a slightly tweaked version of vista itself. second thing, about microsoft admitting vista to be a failure, most people dont see it microsoft has played the biggest gamble. .they admitted vista is failure, launch windows 7 with minor tweaks, supposedly giving users a whole new OS. windows 7 does not have any kind of better memory management or anything.. its just that in windows 7, lot of unneeded background services that used to run in vista, have been turned off by default. u can manually do this in vista too.. just open 'services.msc' from the run command. turn off a few glossy and memory eating windows visual settings like glass effect, fading effect etc.. make your windows look like windows 98, and see for yourself the difference in working speed..and your vista will be just fine..

On default vista settings, the idle processor usage stays above 6 %, averaging at around 10 to 12 %. whereas after the tweaks, my idle processor usage came down to less

than an average of 1 to 2 percent.

I had vista on my laptop, upgraded to windows 7 for just 2K (relative working in microsoft --- employee quota. . heheh.) and there wasnt really much difference.. .i noticed, that 7 was just vista, with lots of background things turned off .. which i had done in my vista too. so no visibile performance upgrade..

if u think ur vista's running slow, all u need to do is make a few tweaks.. can help u with that if you're interested..

my suggestion is to stick with vista, make the tweaks and not spend money unnecessarily on windows 7..

It depends on what your machine is running under the hood. For a budget machine the performance differance between the two is quite visible. For mid range, not so much, and on high end ones, i dunno if you will notice.

But as shahbaaz_vision said, if you want DX11, you need W7. And that i think, is quite enough for those with AMD 5xxx/6xxx OR nVIDIA 4xx/5xx to warrant a switch if you are a gamer.

vivek.krishnan said:
MS has not disclosed pricing AFAIK, but expect it to be in the same league as W7 was for retail. For W8U upgrade, i would expect it to be at least ~ 100USD

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

It depends on what your machine is running under the hood. For a budget machine the performance differance between the two is quite visible. For mid range, not so much, and on high end ones, i dunno if you will notice.

But as shahbaaz_vision said, if you want DX11, you need W7. And that i think, is quite enough for those with AMD 5xxx/6xxx OR nVIDIA 4xx/5xx to warrant a switch if you are a gamer.

But to be very honest that there is major difference in graphical quality comapred in dx 11 and dx10 i.e. if you are mid-end gamer, noticeable difference applied to only high/extreme loaded PC.

If you are mid-end gamer then would advise to stick your ground with vista and wait for win8.

You can upgrade to Windows 7 and when Windows 8 comes you can upgrade to that easily because upgrading from just previous version is better than old previous versions. And also Windows 7 and Windows 8 has same system requirements.

Back