Windows Windows 10 stopped recognising ext usb 3 drive

6pack

ex-Mod
Its a Toshiba 2TB external usb 3 drive. I could use this drive months back in windows 10. I usually use it for backup and keep it in a drawer for months at a time. Now suddenly, windows 10 does not load the drive. Can't see it in disk management or in devices panel. I changed usb 3 port and usb cable. Nothing shows up. I can see the drive in linux mint properly. In linux, the drive loads in a second. I can also copy paste stuff to it properly at usb 3 speeds.

Whats the heck is wrong with this OS i can't understand. In windows 8 i had a problem in which some stupid update killed the front usb ports on my pc. Had to uninstall windows 8 and install windows 7 to get the ports back in working order. Have to say, MS is pushing some seriously bad updates that kill of hardware in peoples pc's and should be sued for millions, IMO.

Rant aside, is there anything I can do besides wiping out windows completely? (I swear, one day when the troubles go over the limit, I'm removing windows 10 completely. I don't care if i paid thousands for this OS, its just shit & always causes trouble.)

What mobo model do you have and have you tried playing around with BIOS settings/updates and/or driver updates? Also search online for your mobo model number and "Win10 usb problem" or something like that?

If it is the same issue (as I am facing) yes you can open it up temporarily.

1) This is most likely driver signing issue. You can try step 2 before disabling driver signature verification
http://www.howtogeek.com/167723/how...8.1-so-that-you-can-install-unsigned-drivers/
Do run Win > cmd (run as admin) > sfc /scannow. See if integrity of windows files is compromised

If it's this issue and sfc tells files integrity is compromised, you can try to reset win 10.

2) Also try thi
Device manager > USB controller > Usb mass storage( with warning sign). Uninstall the driver. Try to mount the disk again

I too had the same issues with Seagate Harddisk. This has to do with Windows 10 update 1607(If I am right). This happened both on laptop and desktop post windows update. Later on, did some googling. Logged in as a administrator and backed up all data and then reformatted the disk to NTFS again. Using it now without any issues. For one moment I was worried that all photos and data backed up would be washed away. But a lil bit of googling did the help.

No issue with the drive. It was pre-formatted as NTFS by Toshiba. It shows up fine and works fine in Linux. Anyways, I did whatever I wanted to do in Linux & put the drive back in the drawer. Thanks for the tips guys. Will look at this thread next time I attach the drive in Windows.

Recently all my USB ports stopped working, the mouse light would turn off when Windows boots in, so i figured it was Windows' fault. When i went into Device Manager one of the USB controllers showed a exclamation mark, note that several restarts did not fix the issue. I Disabled the controller and Enabled it back and all the USB ports started working. Try disabling and enabling or clicking on Update driver for USB controllers in your Device Manager.

open usb.sys and see if there is any previous entry of your external drive ?
if there is any previous entry delete it , restart the pc and check if it works.

Hi,

I have similar problem - Completely stooped working USB3 Port on two desktop machine which contain two USB 3 Port each (Gigabyte and MSI Board) and a netbook contain one USB 3 Port which running Windows 10. There is no Error at device manager.

What to Do ?

Hi,

I have similar problem - Completely stooped working USB3 Port on two desktop machine which contain two USB 3 Port each (Gigabyte and MSI Board) and a netbook contain one USB 3 Port which running Windows 10. There is no Error at device manager.

What to Do ?

Microsoft default usb 3 drivers are bad. Try using the latest usb 3 drivers from Gigabyte and MSI website for your mobos.

Same problem happened to me too. None of the USB 3.0 ports would work.

Then in the Device Manager, I uninstalled "Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.0 (Microsoft)", and then scanned for hardware changes, which reinstalled it again.

However, I am not getting the speed which I should get by using USB 3.0. Getting only 33 MB/s speed, which is very very less.

I don't know what to do. There is no USB 3.0 driver for my motherboard model of Gigabyte, for Windows 10. There is one for Windows 7, which doesn't work on Windows 10.

There is no updated chipset driver either, only the old one. Should I try installing it again?

I already have the latest BIOS.

Which gigabyte Mobo? I think many gigabyte mobos use via chipset for USB 3. I got the via USB driver from gigabyte site and after installing that, I get around 70+MB speeds copying to USB 3 drive.

rev 1.0, 1.1 or 1.2? I searched the gigabyte site and for windows 7 there's an Intel USB 3 driver of 2012 year. I searched Intel site and got a 2016 version driver. I dont know if it is used in your mobo though.

Also I came across this video:

Sorry, it's Rev 1.1, and my OS is Windows 10 32-bit.

As I had written earlier, I had tried the Windows 7 USB 3.0 driver, but it didn't install on my computer.

However, today, I decided to install the chipset driver again. I had re-installed drivers for my motherboard when I had installed Windows 10 some months ago, but I think I might have not installed the chipset driver then.

I installed it today, and after the restart, I am getting transfer speed of around 75 MB/s. Although this speed is double of what I was getting earlier, it still is less than what USB 3.0 should be getting. Still, it is a vast improvement.

Thanks for the discussion on this thread, which prompted me to try installing the chipset driver again :).

Also, I should mention that I have two USB 3.0 ports in the back of my PC, and one in front. However, one in the front required connecting the cable from it to a port in the back, which I was avoiding till now. I did it a few days ago, when I cleaned the computer. I was using the USB 2.0 ports at the front, because it was a bother to connect the devices in the back ports for frequent use.

Few days ago, I decided to try the USB 3.0 ports at the back, since I was tired of slow transfer speeds, and then I noticed none of the ports were working. I thought maybe they got dust inside? But, since only the USB 3.0 ports weren't working, that's when I thought something was wrong with them. That's when I uninstalled the USB 3.0 driver from Device Manager which got it working.

The USB 3.0 driver on my motherboard is from Intel, and on some sites, it's suggested that it's the problem from Intel, which is not providing drivers for Windows 10.

I too found the latest driver for USB 3.0 from Intel here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/do...-Intel-C220-C610-Chipset-Family?product=67709

But, it's for Windows 7, and not Windows 10. Also, I will have to check whether my motherboard qualifies for this driver, as per the list provided in the Readme for the driver.

I was searching for solution on the internet and it seems like this not working of USB 3.0 drivers on Windows 10 (or even Windows 8) is quite a widespread problem, and many people seem to be complaining about it.

Since I am not getting better speed than before, I am not willing to try the latest USB 3.0 driver from Intel... but I have a spare hard drive, and I might install Windows 10 on it, and try things there. Will see how it goes then. But, let's see when I get to that.

Thanks for the discussion here.

I reinstall my MSI board's chip set driver but problem still there - Some of USB drive get Connected and Disconnected again and again and this is only for USB 3 ports only. USB 2 ports are working fine. Then I decided to go ahead and upgraded to Windows Anniversary Update.

Looks like problem solved for now - From 850 EVO to WD Elements 2TB HDD via USB 3 port

837DJOQ.png

Wow.. great. I would like to see that kind of speed on my computer.

I have to report that the speed for USB 3.0 ports on my computer is not working properly. Last when I posted, I was getting good speed. But, then I tried to transfer files, and I noticed that initially the speed would be high, but then it dipped to just 8-9 MB/s... which is crap.

I then enabled write caching on the hard drive, which improved the speed for one session, but after that, it's now random whether I will get good speed or not. Now, sometimes I even get worse speed that USB 2.0.

Also, since I enabled write caching, I am experiencing problem with safe removal of the hard drive. Sometimes, it works, but sometimes, it just doesn't. I checked with locking tool, and no process is locking the drive, and still it won't eject. I even waited for a few hours, because sometimes I have observed, that after sometime, the drive is able to eject. But, in this case, it doesn't. I have to pull it out ultimately :/.

I am really pissed off with this problem of USB 3.0 for my computer.

Update again. I disabled the write caching on the external hard drive, and now I am getting quite good speed of upto 75-80 MB/s... although it varies and dips to 50 MB/s at times too.. but still, I am happy that the speed and performance is better than before. Also, since disabling write cache, I am not getting the problem of drive not able to eject.

But, problem remains for a 16 GB flash drive that I have. The transfer will start with good speed, but then just before 50%, it would dip straight to 8-9 MB/s, and would remain at that for the rest of the transfer.

All this inconsistency is really confusing. Anyways, atleast I am getting good speed now with the external drive.

I like to inform that my previous post (which is post no 16) shows incredible speed at USB 3 as my motherboard MSI B85M-G43 as it got two USB 3 port - One is completely unusable now - Tried several drive - It getting recognize and once I start transfer data it 'Eject' by itself - Then again mount and Un Mount by itself - it is in complete loop - unless I shut down the whole computer.

Back