Windows Windows 10 free upgrade

So, I download Windows 10 Pro on a USB drive with Media Creation Tool (MediaCreationToolx64.exe).

And installed Win 10 on my laptop (from within Win 8.1) and it got installed smoothly. It shows Win 10 activated.

Loving the new look and trying to explore the changes. :)

Will install Win 10 on my desktop and HTPC in a day or two.

So, I download Windows 10 Pro on a USB drive with Media Creation Tool (MediaCreationToolx64.exe).

And installed Win 10 on my laptop (from within Win 8.1) and it got installed smoothly. It shows Win 10 activated.

Loving the new look and trying to explore the changes. :)

Will install Win 10 on my desktop and HTPC in a day or two.
Did you do the in place upgrade via the MediaCreationToolx64.exe or did you create a bootable USB?

In case you did it using a bootable USB did you have to do a fresh format or did you upgrade to Windows 10 from 8.1 without formatting?

Did you do the in place upgrade via the MediaCreationToolx64.exe or did you create a bootable USB?

In case you did it using a bootable USB did you have to do a fresh format or did you upgrade to Windows 10 from 8.1 without formatting?

I did not boot from USB install media. I executed "SETUP.EXE" from windows 8.1.

This is the only way to upgrade from Windows 7/8/8.1.

If you try to do fress install, it will ask for key and windows 7/8/8.1 keys are not accepted.

AFAIK, once you have upgraded your windows 7/8/8.1 to windows 10, it will add your old windows key to the database and then you can do fresh win 10 installation with your old keys on the same computer any number of times.

upload_2015-7-29_21-11-59.png

upload_2015-7-29_21-12-33.png

I am getting this error after doing almost everything-restarting the PC,turning off antivirus,removing old update files form Windows Update etc.

Why not select Create Installation Media for ANother PC then save toISO? You can then create a USB from ISO using "Windows 7 USB/DVD download tool" or mount the ISO and run setup from there... advantage is you can rerun setup on other machines or again later on the same machine without the need to redownload.

Why not select Create Installation Media for ANother PC then save toISO? You can then create a USB from ISO using "Windows 7 USB/DVD download tool" or mount the ISO and run setup from there... advantage is you can rerun setup on other machines or again later on the same machine without the need to redownload.

Tried that too and got something happened too!!!!!!!

I am working from home today and so got a friend to download the iso file via the exe in office.WIll get it tomorrow and create a bootable USB with Rufus

I first created an Windows 10 Pro ISO (burned it onto USB) and ran the app again to do the free upgrade. Upgrade started fine until after the drivers installed and then nothing but black screen. So my Upgrade failed.

Then i used the Windows 10 Bootable USB drive, did the fresh installation by formatting the entire drive and Windows 10 Pro shows as activated.

During the fresh install it didn't accept my Windows 8.1 Pro key but i think the failed upgrade has already added my key to their database hence it shows activated. :)

im getting this alert message now
We're validating windows 10 for your pc. We recommend that you upgrade after you get the notification

BTW guys, is forcing update via wuauclt.exe /updatenow legit? I think I just saw a FB post of a tweet from MS where it says only updates via Get Windows 10 app will be free.

Can someone please confirm if anyone had been able to successfully upgrade and activated Windows 10 via this method?

I updated windows 7 to windows 10 on my dell laptop, using the media creation software... Just updated the windows running setup.exe and everything went fine... windows is already activated.

I got it installed in my laptop via the get windows 10 app but the same is not happening in my desktop. The get windows 10 app is just there in the taskbar but no download is happening. I have Win 8.1 in my desktop. Anything should I do to force the download to happen?

Back