Win 7 Shuts Down in Wierd Manner

Hi all,

I am facing this weird problem in Windows 7. Recently I had several problems with Virus as well as frequent internet problems. To clear off all the viruses I have installed Kaspersky. At the time of scanning the system will immediately shuts down without any intimation....I tried with cpl of anti-virus tools and the result is same....It is crashing down the tool.

I re-installed the OS and tried without opening any of the affected drives. But it gave me the same result.

Please help me out in clearing off the system.

Thanks,

VJ

Post the complete hardware specs. Take a screenshot of Realtemp, when the AV app. is running. The system could be overheating which results in the abrupt shutdowns.

The reason why i am telling it as a s/w problem is tht ONLY when i run the anti-virus program, my system shuts down......when i just leave, it will keep on running without any issues....

I strongly beleive that some PUP or virus is causing the system to crash.

My system specs are as follows,

C2D E 4500

Transcend DDR 2 2GB RAM

Asus P5n - E SLI Mobo

XFX 8800GT Xtreme GPU

Cooler Master 600w extreme power PSU

Viewsonic VG1930 WM LCD

Suggestions are appreciated.

Thx,

VJ.

hmm nice info..but i tries with cpl of other anti-virus programs too like NOD 32 and NAV.....still the same happens it crashes ONLY when it is scanning the system....I have some very valuable info there and i cant afford to format the whole system......

any more suggestions pls?

LOL I told ya! :p

The system is quite old going by the specs and the thermal paste could have been dried up.

- Get yourself a tube of Arctic Silver MX2;

- Disassemble the system from the enclosure;

- Remove the heatsink;

- Clean up the dried stock goop on the heatsink base and the processor IHS, using cotton swabs dipped in iso-propyl alcohol (available at most chemist shops; a small bottle might be about Rs. 20~30);

- Apply a very small blob of the MX2 from the tube on the IHS;

- Reseat the heatsink and

- Assemble back the system.

Is the fan on the heatsink working without issues? Check that as well. The stock heatsink + fan can easily take such loads. Perhaps the dried thermal paste was the culprit.

Desecrator said:
LOL I told ya! :p

The system is quite old going by the specs and the thermal paste could have been dried up.

- Get yourself a tube of Arctic Silver MX2;

- Disassemble the system from the enclosure;

- Remove the heatsink;

- Clean up the dried stock goop on the heatsink base and the processor IHS, using cotton swabs dipped in iso-propyl alcohol (available at most chemist shops; a small bottle might be about Rs. 20~30);

- Apply a very small blob of the MX2 from the tube on the IHS;

- Reseat the heatsink and

- Assemble back the system.

Is the fan on the heatsink working without issues? Check that as well. The stock heatsink + fan can easily take such loads. Perhaps the dried thermal paste was the culprit.
The guy speaks right, do this soon ! 100+ is no joke :p

Back