Will you give up on a childhood friend who literally stole your life's savings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only thing is, that his posts were quite knowledgeable, whether about Corona or audio. The only things that always made me a bit suspicious was how he knew or could get in touch with anyone and everyone. I still feel, that all the other things he said couldn't be made up. I used to feel that he was just making up some of the shit, but interweaving with truths from his life. I mean, the guy opened up a thread for getting an OCI card. Who would do that while sitting in Kolkata. And who was he trying to impress over here and did this actually help him in some way. Like I said, his posts were way too serious for a troll. We've had trolls before but they always had funny inclination to their posts and threads.
@nRiTeCh - Did his EU number work for you.

Thing with the internet is, anyone can sound like an expert without actually knowing sh*t.
The guy was probably cross-posting what he read on another forum, doubt he even linked any of his head-fi posts to eddy because they're non existent,
I once asked him for links to his mastering work/tunes and he said he was a small time bedroom musician and linked to some obscure no name bands, yet in this thread itself he posts this.

lemme flex a bit...we opened for Rammstein and Lamb of God (twice!!)

The only thing is, that his posts were quite knowledgeable, whether about Corona or audio. The only things that always made me a bit suspicious was how he knew or could get in touch with anyone and everyone. I still feel, that all the other things he said couldn't be made up. I used to feel that he was just making up some of the shit, but interweaving with truths from his life. I mean, the guy opened up a thread for getting an OCI card. Who would do that while sitting in Kolkata. And who was he trying to impress over here and did this actually help him in some way. Like I said, his posts were way too serious for a troll. We've had trolls before but they always had funny inclination to their posts and threads.
@nRiTeCh - Did his EU number work for you.
Lol! I never tried any of his nos. in fact I have nos. of many members here but we seldom talk unless any help or anything required.
But surprisingly his EU no wasnt on whatsapp but his temporary Kolkatas no. was.
I actually initiated a chat with him as I have a 20+ yr known friend (my nfs buddy I helped him a lot way back in early 2000s) residing in EU region and required some help wrt location, travel etc. As most people even today their live a rather flint-stone life..no phones or social media presence but prefer email or letters.

Lol! I never tried any of his nos. in fact I have nos. of many members here but we seldom talk unless any help or anything required.
But surprisingly his EU no wasnt on whatsapp but his temporary Kolkatas no. was.
I actually initiated a chat with him as I have a 20+ yr known friend (my nfs buddy I helped him a lot way back in early 2000s) residing in EU region and required some help wrt location, travel etc. As most people even today their live a rather flint-stone life..no phones or social media presence but prefer email or letters.
and there's nothing wrong with a flint-stone life, no whatsaap groups of society,office,unofficial office etc is much better.

Thing with the internet is, anyone can sound like an expert without actually knowing sh*t.
The guy was probably cross-posting what he read on another forum, doubt he even linked any of his head-fi posts to eddy because they're non existent,
I once asked him for links to his mastering work/tunes and he said he was a small time bedroom musician and linked to some obscure no name bands, yet in this thread itself he posts this.
I can understand that. But not that why would one build an elaborate life story with drug abuse, a divorce with a child, a new life with even mention of in-laws, then talk about daily life issues like this one. And all that on a tech forum of all places.
I know that a lot of people didn't want such general talk to be on a tech forum like this, but as I have pointed out earlier, I have made genuine friends through such threads in the past on XDA. This just feels like such a big betrayal.

take everything on the interweb with a pinch of salt... Relax and move on.
since its all speculation on reasons and questions that many of us have in mind, its best to leave it there cause no point in discussing based on speculation

Reminds me of this - a guy on Quora few years ago who pretended to be an IITian. Most people were so seduced by the 'IIT' moniker, that they assumed everything he said was gospel because he would type some pseudo-scientific stuff in his answers, with no one to fact check. He would then ask for money, spinning a sob story. Probably fleeced people of few lakhs.

I guess if someone makes preposterous claims like this guy, one should question oneself or that person(politely) before accepting. Here one couldn't have questioned him on his absurd fantasies(which were red flags), but could have checked the info he was giving. I also need to be more careful of not buying into the hive mind.

I can understand that. But not that why would one build an elaborate life story with drug abuse, a divorce with a child, a new life with even mention of in-laws, then talk about daily life issues like this one. And all that on a tech forum of all places.
I know that a lot of people didn't want such general talk to be on a tech forum like this, but as I have pointed out earlier, I have made genuine friends through such threads in the past on XDA. This just feels like such a big betrayal.
Narcissism. Op dug himself into a deep hole.

So what actually happened here ?:Can anyone elaborate please . Thank you . Maybe the mods can shed a clearer light on this .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back