Wifi Router or mesh system or wifi extender?

mysticrainman

Disciple
I have an Airtel 300 Mbps broadband connection. My house is a small duplex and may be visualised a rectangular box. the router is the default Huawei box given by airtel and may be visualised located on the top floor, towards the NE end [check (R) in image].

20230822_160429.jpg

I'm not getting wifi properly on the south corner room on the ground floor [check (1) in image].

Also, I have a few CCTV cameras recently setup and I'm facing issues getting network for one of them. It connected for 1-2 days initially but is not connecting now. It is located near the NW corner on bottom floor [check (2) in image].

I bought an extender from a fellow TE member but I haven't been able to enable it to get it to work successfully (it too connected for a few minutes then disconnected)

Sale thread

Need your suggestions on the way ahead
1. Get a new extender
2. Get a new better router
3. Get a new mesh system
4. Shift the router to a more central position of the top floor

5. Route ethernet cable to places where you really need wifi. Then use router at those places.

One time job that will work practically forever.

5. Route ethernet cable to places where you really need wifi. Then use router at those places.

One time job that will work practically forever.
My 4th point is aligned to your idea. I mostly use my devices on top floor and central placement would make sense. Are you suggesting multiple routers?

I don’t think 1 router will serve the purpose. You will have to use range extenders or multiple routers.
Mesh is efficient as compared to multiple extenders as you don’t need to have multiple SSIDs configured and for each consuming device add those SSIDs. I have used TP link mesh system, which is quite good. But the downside is you will have to buy all router + extenders of same company. It would not be easy on your pocket, but would have less headache with setup - initially, as well as when you get new devices in future.

Last edited:
personally i am a great believer in mesh and preferably a mesh working only on 5 ghz and turning of the 2.4 ghz if all your devices are 5 ghz capable
running a Asus RT AC86 U and a RT AC 59u V2 for a while and its been rock solid (Backhaul i via a lan cable)

problem is extenders have to be close enough to get a good signal from main router and then two you will get half speed of however fast the extender connects to Main router

Alternatively i had earlier an extender which would connect in a straight line over 5ghz with the main router (line of sight nearly) and transmit the repeted signal over 2.4ghz, that reduced tha halfing of speed
but still wasnt as fast as having a mesh with wired backhaul

Back