WiFi-ing the house

nikrusty

Adept
[font=trebuchet ms,sans-serif]I want to Wi-Fi my entire house. I already got a Linksys [/font][font=trebuchet ms,sans-serif]WRT54 G2 [/font][font=trebuchet ms,sans-serif]router, but since the house is big, the router's reach is not much. I was thinking of an extender which will simply extend my Wi-fi to other areas of the house, the simplest solution I can think of.[/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,sans-serif]Here are a few thoughts...

1. I cannot change the router position as this will require changing the wires coming from the Internet. This will require re-wiring and drilling to get strips to hide wires, etc....too much trouble. The ladies in the house will not like it.

2. The range extender must be placed such that every corner is covered...that is the dealistic goal.

3. A single extender I'm hoping will solve the issue which also means minimum wiring (only for the power socket).

I don't want to be in a situtationt that the extender is placed and then it is figured out that, "oh this corner it cannot reach". I would like to get definite answers before proceeding ahead. [/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,sans-serif]I don't mind getting professional help on this.

What are your thoughts? Any pitfalls? Please advise.[/font]

I am using Asus RTn13U-B1 as a repeater to my existing Wifi network. Configuring it is super simple. My house is a 1500 sqft flat; the router wifi is placed in one corner, and the repeater is placed somewhere in the middle. I get coverage everywhere in the house even on lower power devices such as mobile phones.

Cool thanks Nomad, thats a real nice router (Asus RTn13U-B1) you got there, how much did you pick it up for?

Also I see a printer can be networked, how does that work? I've a laser printer with no Network capabilites, can that be joined up to a router, currently it hooked to another PC which acts as a printer server.

will this solution suffice for my 2 floor house?

i.e ground and 1st floor?

Even am looking for a solution.

It will work i have used the same in 3 floor house. Here is what i have done Modem + router in first floor , repeaters in ground and 2 floor.

It will work i have used the same in 3 floor house. Here is what i have done Modem + router in first floor , repeaters in ground and 2 floor.

i have this shittering wifi router that airtel provides on the ground floor.

How to i go about setting up everything.

Please elaborate basshead.

The whole setup might pinch your pocket a little bit but it has been steardy for me.Here is what i have done, Airtel modem is in first floor have connected the LAN port to a D-link DIR 655 router then i have placed a Asus RT-N13U in second floor in repeater mode and did the same in the ground floor as well. In repeater modem the Asus will just pick up the existing signals and repeat them .No configuration required just flip the switch and the router will ask for SSID and password enter the same and you are good to go.

I have also is taken out 2 CAT-6 cables out from the D-link to each floor for future use.

Total Setup:

D-link DIR 655 : 2080 INR ( Got from US during black friday)

Asus RTN13U X 2 : 5500( Got locally)

CAT-6 Cable 100metres : 2200/-

You can skip the cable part if u do not have feasability.

The whole setup might pinch your pocket a little bit but it has been steardy for me.Here is what i have done, Airtel modem is in first floor have connected the LAN port to a D-link DIR 655 router then i have placed a Asus RT-N13U in second floor in repeater mode and did the same in the ground floor as well. In repeater modem the Asus will just pick up the existing signals and repeat them .No configuration required just flip the switch and the router will ask for SSID and password enter the same and you are good to go.

I have also is taken out 2 CAT-6 cables out from the D-link to each floor for future use.

Total Setup:

D-link DIR 655 : 2080 INR ( Got from US during black friday)

Asus RTN13U X 2 : 5500( Got locally)

CAT-6 Cable 100metres : 2200/-

You can skip the cable part if u do not have feasability.

i have CAT-6 cable(around 20 Metre) that i'm using fro LAN connectivity on my first floor.

So basically for my place,i need is a Asus RTn13U-B1 acting as a repeater on my first floor?

Am i right here?

But where to get hold of this router as it isn't available on any online store .

Back