WiFi adapter disconnects while playing Valorant

vindal

Disciple
Hi TE!
I am using a Netgear A6210 wifi adapter to play valorant on my PC (it is an MSI Pro VDH Max B450m board without wifi)
From the in-game graphs, I see that a lot of packets get dropped regularly and in some extreme cases, my adapter disconnects from the PC altogether.
I got my adapter RMAed and but that didn't help. It works flawlessly while streaming or downloading games from Steam or just basic browsing. I am using the latest available driver for my adapter.
I raised a ticket with Riot and they said reinstall the game in C drive :)
Has anyone here ever faced such an issue?

I remember visiting these links before but I couldn't find any solution. Further context, I also use my Acer Predator to play Valorant (on a wireless network) and I have never faced any such issues with it. I sometimes get the "high average ping" check regardless of which device I'm using to play but never encountered any packet loss with my laptop.

Hi TE!
I am using a Netgear A6210 wifi adapter to play valorant on my PC (it is an MSI Pro VDH Max B450m board without wifi)
From the in-game graphs, I see that a lot of packets get dropped regularly and in some extreme cases, my adapter disconnects from the PC altogether.
I got my adapter RMAed and but that didn't help. It works flawlessly while streaming or downloading games from Steam or just basic browsing. I am using the latest available driver for my adapter.
I raised a ticket with Riot and they said reinstall the game in C drive :)
Has anyone here ever faced such an issue?
Can you try wth an ethernet cable instead of wifi just to isolate the problem

Can you try wth an ethernet cable instead of wifi just to isolate the problem
The router is quite far away and I don't want to get holes drilled to get an ethernet cable to my PC (it would've been the best solution though). Also, just shifting my pc to another room for a few hours is going to be pretty inconvenient due to lack of furniture in that room

It's probably your PC asking you to get off Valorant... it's like cancer anyways ;-; So many hours spent being trashed by kids who have so much time on their hands to get better.

Anyways, I had a very similar issue and that was rectified by changing the router and reinstalling the drivers for the wifi adapter. Mabe that could help.

It's probably your PC asking you to get off Valorant... it's like cancer anyways ;-; So many hours spent being trashed by kids who have so much time on their hands to get better.

Anyways, I had a very similar issue and that was rectified by changing the router and reinstalling the drivers for the wifi adapter. Mabe that could help.
Hahahaha
I don't doubt you for one second. The players are unbelievably toxic. But it is a good way to spend some time with friends who live far away.
I am using the router which came with my Excitel broadband connection and I'm at the latest drivers for whatever hardware imaginable.

Hi, not sure if you found a solution. If not, you may want to try the below steps.

1. I am assuming that you connect via the 5GHz band. Set the Channel Mode to 5G Only under the Advanced tab of the device in device manager.
2. Clear the checkbox which says "Allow the computer..." under Power Management tab.
3. Connect your device to a USB 3 Gen 1 (5Gbps, typically blue) port at the back of your motherboard instead of using the provided USB extension or front USB ports.
4. Install the Windows default driver instead of the one that comes with the adapter (Not sure if this is needed, but I'm using this).
5. [Optional] Set your router to broadcast on a fixed WiFi channel.

These should, ideally, fix your disconnect issues.

Hi, not sure if you found a solution. If not, you may want to try the below steps.

1. I am assuming that you connect via the 5GHz band. Set the Channel Mode to 5G Only under the Advanced tab of the device in device manager.
2. Clear the checkbox which says "Allow the computer..." under Power Management tab.
3. Connect your device to a USB 3 Gen 1 (5Gbps, typically blue) port at the back of your motherboard instead of using the provided USB extension or front USB ports.
4. Install the Windows default driver instead of the one that comes with the adapter (Not sure if this is needed, but I'm using this).
5. [Optional] Set your router to broadcast on a fixed WiFi channel.

These should, ideally, fix your disconnect issues.
Hi, I had already performed steps 1,2,3, and 4 but it didn't help much.
Then I thought I'll listen to Riot and reinstall the game. After the reinstallation I checked my firewall rules and saw that the executable for the game was allowed but the one for Vanguard wasn't (or it was the other way round, I don't recall). I did the necessary and that, along with the reinstall (probably), seems to have fixed the issue.

I played it on wifi with zero issues, the game itself sucks IMHO. I play MC5, it's still fun apart from the high volume of hackers, non ranked with in game buddies is fun though.

After the reinstallation I checked my firewall rules and saw that the executable for the game was allowed but the one for Vanguard wasn't (or it was the other way round, I don't recall). I did the necessary and that, along with the reinstall (probably), seems to have fixed the issue.
So it was a firewall issue and never a disconnection issue. You framed your problem in the wrong way.
Internet inbound/outbound access blocked using firewall will never result in actual connection drops.

So it was a firewall issue and never a disconnection issue. You framed your problem in the wrong way.
Internet inbound/outbound access blocked using firewall will never result in actual connection drops.
That's what it was
Haven't had any issues since. But the firewall was not an issue for my laptop. It runs Valorant fine. Idk how this issue creeped in to my PC. That's why I thought it could have something to do with Vanguard.

USB wifi adapters have this tendency to just stop working under heavy usage. It will work only after restart. Maybe it is due to heating. Get a PCIe adapter if possible.
I just bought a TPLink Archer A7 on sale and use it as extender and plug in ethernet cable from it to my PC. It reduced latency also compared to using USB adapter.

Back