Laptops WiFi 5 M.2 card compatible with Intel i3 5005U

TrexTom

Patron
I have an old HP laptop with having Realtek wifi b/g/n card. I wanted to upgrade it to wifi 5. Anyone, please help me to choose a card that is compatible with intel i3 5005U. I searched on google and got to know that the latest intel AX wifi cards will not work with that processor.

Post a picture of your existing wlan card and the slot. From that we can see if it's A/E or A+E.

M.2 is a version of PCie, the notches are at different positions (and therefore the connectors), that is all is the difference.

Also please note, HP is notorious for approving only certain WLAN cards in their BIOS, so even if you get one that fits in your slot, it might not work. Apparently HP stopped doing this in 2016, but I had problems with a 2018 i5 8th gen. Conversely, I had no issues when using it on a 2016 i5 6th Gen.
YMMV.

1715240096847.jpg

This is the card that fits into the slot. I know that the laptop supports an M.2 card as I am currently using QCA9377. I am asking because I got the card shown in the picture 3 days ago from xfurbrish.com and this is not working. It has some dents and scratches from a screwdriver. I tried to contact them regarding this but they ghosted me. Gone my 800Rs.

Won't something like this be easier -
TP-Link Ac1300 USB WiFi Adapter (Archer T3U)-2.4G/5G Dual Band Mini Wireless Network Adapter for Pc Desktop, Mu-Mimo Wi-Fi Dongle, USB 3.0, Supports Windows 11,10,8.1,8,7,Xp/Mac Os 10.15 and Earlier

That is an A+E key. Not M.2. Check on a Non HP laptop/motherboard if it works.
If yes, then it's HP's BIOS that is the problem. If this is the case, nothing can be done.
Have you tried loading the drivers manually? Does it show up in device manager?

if it shows up in device manager, you need the right drivers. If it doesn't, it's not detected by BIOS.

Is your BIOS showing an error message when booting? Something like WLAN card not detected?

View attachment 197068
This is the card that fits into the slot. I know that the laptop supports an M.2 card as I am currently using QCA9377. I am asking because I got the card shown in the picture 3 days ago from xfurbrish.com and this is not working. It has some dents and scratches from a screwdriver. I tried to contact them regarding this but they ghosted me. Gone my 800Rs.
Is this the module the laptop came with? You should post that one for the most accurate advice.

Is this the module the laptop came with? You should post that one for the most accurate advice.
I have that in one of my asus laptop having intel 8th gen. Upgraded it with MT7921...wifi6 bt5.2 ..
Works like a charm
I know that the laptop supports an M.2 card as I am currently using QCA9377
What problem is that giving you. From web search it seems it is wifi5 card.

Last edited:
@badwhitevision tried on dell laptop as well. Doesn't work. I am using linux not neet to install drivers separately. But I also tried drivers manually. Nothing works. And no bios error while booting.

@rockyo27 yes it is wifi6 but few months back it started loosing connectivity on 5ghz band. I replaced wifi antenna but the issue still persist. Moreover this card is limited to 433 bandwidth.

For anyone stumbling upon this at a later date, and is a linux noob like me:

If on linux, check if lspci or lsusb show the device, atleast as an unknown device. Or even better, take an ubuntu/debian live install and check if it shows up under network devices.

Linux does need drivers, its just that most of them are already loaded in when the OS is installed. However, Realtek is not very forthcoming with linux drivers, so they might be available on the website but not on the OS itself.

For the OP:

However, most likely,

If no BIOS error, then the card itself is not getting detected. So most probably the card itself is faulty, which is also confirmed by the card not working on a Dell board.

Dead card.

If there is a bios whitelist the laptop would refuse to boot with an error (unsupported device or something like that). There are bios mods/hacks to circumvent this. Google your laptop. YMMV.

Back