CPU/Mobo Why does my PC does not startup once I have removed the RAM sticks?

sam9953

Adept
Hi guys, I am using a very old PC. A few years back I bought two RAM sticks of 1 GB each. Before putting those sticks in my cabinet my PC was working fine on the RAM of 256 mb which I had got when I bought the computer, but after buying those two sticks I never removed them. Today I planned to sell them, I removed the sticks and tried to switch my PC on, but some strange kind of beeping sound keeps coming and my PC won't start without putting at least one stick.
Please tell me what to do? I have to sell those sticks and want my PC to work on the RAM of 256 mb which I had in the PC before buying those extra RAM sticks.

Sorry guys, if this is a noob question. I am still a learner.

I'll tell you in simple terms, what he meant is remove the coin sized cell battery off you motherboard for 10 minutes, insert it back, install ram and boot it up again.

Sam, which mobo you are using..?? check whether the RAM you are installing is supported by the mobo.

I removed the sticks and tried to switch my PC on, but some strange kind of beeping sound keeps coming and my PC won't start without putting at least one stick.

I didn't get you. have you tried starting your pc without RAM???

Sam, which mobo you are using..?? check whether the RAM you are installing is supported by the mobo.

I didn't get you. have you tried starting your pc without RAM???
My mobo completely supports the RAM because before buying those extra sticks I didnt face any trouble but after buying them and using them for a while, now when I try to use the PC without those RAM sticks my computer won't work with the internal 256 mb RAM

---------- Post added at 11:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:58 AM ----------

sam9953

if you really dont know what you are doing,i suggest you get some technician to do it for you.

I just don't know one thing, why my PC won't start with the internal RAM which I was given along with the system.

My mobo completely supports the RAM because before buying those extra sticks I didnt face any trouble but after buying them and using them for a while, now when I try to use the PC without those RAM sticks my computer won't work with the internal 256 mb RAM

Do both the RAM's (new 1GB & old 256MB) are of same frequency..?? Have you made any changes in the bios for using new sticks.
Also look for DRAM frequency setting in bios. set it to "normal" if its set to "high".

Do both the RAM's (new 1GB & old 256MB) are of same frequency..?? Have you made any changes in the bios for using new sticks.
Also look for DRAM frequency setting in bios. set it to "normal" if its set to "high".

I am not sure about the frequency of both. How do I check both? No I have not made any changes in Bios.
Where can I find the DRAM settings, may I know?

This setting was there on my ECS P4M800 mobo which i sold last year, so can't guide you step by step.

No problemm.

Guys, I did try to search the mobo for the coin sized battery and for anything else which could resemble a RAM stick, but couldn't find anything.

I think the RAM might have been removed by my technician.
Thanks for all your help.

I think the RAM might have been removed by my technician.
Thanks for all your help.

Are you serious, your technician stole your RAM modules?

The coin-cell everyone is referring to looks like this --
cmos_battery1.jpg
, called the CMOS battery it keeps the PC's clock in sync while it is shut-down and powers up the system for initializing a POST.

When you press the power button, does your PC issue a sequence of start-up beeps, what is their sequence. Ideally this should be enough to identify whether there is RAM in your system OR not.

Hope this helps, Cheerio!

Are you serious, your technician stole your RAM modules?

The coin-cell everyone is referring to looks like this --
View attachment 13790
, called the CMOS battery it keeps the PC's clock in sync while it is shut-down and powers up the system for initializing a POST.

When you press the power button, does your PC issue a sequence of start-up beeps, what is their sequence. Ideally this should be enough to identify whether there is RAM in your system OR not.

Hope this helps, Cheerio!

Well the thing is that I am not able to see such a cell on my mobo, maybe becasue the processor fan is coming in my view.

Seconldy the beep is like straight, for 3 to 4 seconds without any pause, and then again it starts beeping.
No, RAM stick is visible to me and that is why I think he might have taken the 256 mb RAM out.

Well the thing is that I am not able to see such a cell on my mobo, maybe becasue the processor fan is coming in my view.

Seconldy the beep is like straight, for 3 to 4 seconds without any pause, and then again it starts beeping.
No, RAM stick is visible to me and that is why I think he might have taken the 256 mb RAM out.

Okay, yours must be an old motherboard because my motherboard does three short beeps for RAM unusable / unavailable status.

Back