Why do a lot of companies want engineers (even in unrelated fields) ?

Do you guys think that companies like Infosys / Wipro etc ruining the quality of engineers ? They don't want to hire Non-BE guys. And everyone is so sure that if they do engineering, they end up in any of those companies & they join it. Ergo, overall quality of engineers goes to shit.

Do you guys think that companies like Infosys / Wipro etc ruining the quality of engineers ? They don't want to hire Non-BE guys. And everyone is so sure that if they do engineering, they end up in any of those companies & they join it. Ergo, overall quality of engineers goes to shit.

That's exactly what I think ever since I started working -

There's an oversupply of engineers (again, quantity is not equal to quality) ready to do whatever is required. When they can start their careers (sometimes, even without even a technical interview :O; yes I'm talking about a company that begins with In) and get paid to do work (heard conflicting reports on the quality, also the fact that quite a significant % of engineers are benched) there are going to be even more of these "engineers".

Most of the large companies in india are service based they need some one that can learn the given task easily and work like an ass. The given task most of the times does not have anything to do with the subjects you have studied. Because engineers are good at this process they are chosen. (My Opinion)

Engineering teaches you a 'way of thinking' if you may...

You learn to apply logic before making any decision. It is impossible to pass an engineering course without having an analytic aptitude. And, since India is not exactly the land of innovation, all that is required is the ability to reason to succeed in your career. This is the reason due to which engineers are hired.

And, about parents forcing their children to do engineering....it is because most of times when you are young, you are not mature enough to make the right choices (of course, not always the case). For example, I wasn't interested in anything and just wanted to pursue B.Com because it was easier than engineering. But, now looking at my peers who pursued B.Com and their current position, I'm glad I took up engineering.

Companies like Infy/Wipro hire engineers only if they can get them cheap. They don't blindly look for people with Engg degrees. I have friends who got rejection letters from Infy with no apparent reason except that their current salaries are moderately good compared to Infy standards.

There are people who didn't get job after finishing engg ,first the government have to change syllabus based on corresponding engg dept ,train them well and then they can find their job.because now a days every one is doing engg but when they are selected in a particular company ,they are struggling to do their work so they are entering some other field which is not related to their degree

Back