Storage Solutions Whoa!Intel 256gb ssd for 3k! !

Sure i will,what speeds do u get with the SSD
reviews say it can tocuh 510mbps thats why i brought it.
I can imagine running 2 of these in raid 0.1.1gbps of speed LoL
TRIM doesn't work in RAID.
I think in benchmarks I got a max of 460-480mbps. That's probably because AMD's SATA implementation is inferior to Intels.

Received the SSD
9/10 For looks just 2 small scratches on backside

10/10 for performance

@ Hdd experts here mind explaining hdtune etc?

^ Which coupon did you use? Paytm oonly has 8% coupon which comes to rs300 discount.

HDtune is a software which analysis all health of the harddisk and lets you know if any bad sectors are there in the harddisk. Just install it and run a scan and it will show you if your harddisk health is good or bad.

^ Which coupon did you use? Paytm oonly has 8% coupon which comes to rs300 discount.

HDtune is a software which analysis all health of the harddisk and lets you know if any bad sectors are there in the harddisk. Just install it and run a scan and it will show you if your harddisk health is good or bad.
Just saw,i used paytmebay8 the rest got cut off from my paytm wallet lol

Will gice Hdtune a shot asap

I got a Samsung 256gb ssd for myself a year ago. They still run fine. The SSD was taken out from laptops and sold to customers.
i have the same thing too.
been using it for ~7-8 months and no issues. (will check it's health out)
the majority are the 810 series i believe (going by the serial #s).
some of the ebay sellers post hdtune screenshots.
ebay usually has some 7-9% discounts running throughout based on which bank you're paying through (hdfc is the most common imo)

Ok I just took the plunge for the 520.

Apart from enabling AHCI and making sure the partitions are aligned, do I need to do anything else?

Just got the 520. Packed well. Seems OK. Pics below. Seems to have been checked before sending because it had the Intel SSD Toolbox on one of the drives on the SSD.
I ran the latest version of the Intel SSD Toolbox, secure erased, created new partitions. Firmware was latest.

EDIT : Ran HDTune from a Win 7 PE, so no proper drivers etc.

Attachments

• IMG_20160212_164610828_PC_small.jpg
    IMG_20160212_164610828_PC_small.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_20160212_164628200_PC_small.jpg
    IMG_20160212_164628200_PC_small.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 202
  • 2016-02-12_170855.jpg
    2016-02-12_170855.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 232
  • 2016-02-12_170920.jpg
    2016-02-12_170920.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 222
  • 2016-02-12_170912.jpg
    2016-02-12_170912.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 209
  • 2016-02-12_181244.jpg
    2016-02-12_181244.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:
Did you guys buy from his link? Ebay currently has a 12% off which drops the price to ~3.4k
http://www.ebay.in/itm/Intel-520-Se...811286?hash=item3aa4e89d96:g:1NEAAOSwCypWoiW6

Or should I opt for this new Adata Premier SP550 for ~4.8k? I believe the 520 lacks a bit when it comes to sequential write compared to the latest SSDs.
http://www.ebay.in/itm/ADATA-240GB-...669772?hash=item2362d03d8c:g:jPYAAOSwKtVWu0l0

Upgrading a 3.5 yr old Asus x54h with a WD 320GB 5400rpm drive, 4GB RAM and intel Pentium sandy bridge (B940). Is the Adata worth the extra ~1.4k or should just save a few bucks and stick to the Intel one?

@PHOENiX117 @ch@ts @PoBoy

Last edited:
Did you guys buy from his link? Ebay currently has a 12% off which drops the price to ~3.4k
http://www.ebay.in/itm/Intel-520-Se...811286?hash=item3aa4e89d96:g:1NEAAOSwCypWoiW6

Or should I opt for this new Adata one for ~4.8k? I believe the 520 lacks a bit when it comes to sequential write compared to the latest SSDs.
http://www.ebay.in/itm/ADATA-240GB-...669772?hash=item2362d03d8c:g:jPYAAOSwKtVWu0l0
When choosing an SSD always look at the Controller and the NAND flash being used.

Among used options, the Intel 520 has the infamous Sandforce controller. The Samsung 830 drive has a much more reliable controller, and is easily the better buy.

The Adata SP550 uses TLC NAND. For around 5.5k, the Sandisk SSD Plus with MLC NAND will be a better bet.

These r quite old and were launched in 2012 and are now discontinued but even then i doubt anything can match these below 10k
^ Sadly OP is mistaken.

When choosing an SSD always look at the Controller and the NAND flash being used.

Among used options, the Intel 520 has the infamous Sandforce controller. The Samsung 830 drive has a much more reliable controller, and is easily the better buy.

The Adata SP550 uses TLC NAND. For around 5.5k, the Sandisk SSD Plus with MLC NAND will be a better bet.

^ Sadly OP is mistaken.

But isn't the Samsung 830 an even older drive from 2011? Will it be worth the ~3.5k investment or is the sandisk SSD Plus worth the ~1.5k premium considering my old set up?

P.S: Myself using a MX100 256GB for the last year or so, which has a higher write speed and my PC boot and response have improved tremendously. That's why worried about the write speed of 830 as well as the SSD Plus.

The laptop is used for ~10 hours a week which translates to about ~500 hrs/yr. Will MLC/TLC make any difference in such a usage scenario?

Last edited:
But isn't the Samsung 830 an even older drive from 2011? Will it be worth the ~3.5k investment or is the sandisk SSD Plus worth the ~1.5k premium considering my old set up?
This is a tricky scenario.
Performance wise - as PoBoy mentions above, in the real world any decent SSD is a significant step up and apart from synthetic benchmarks you will be hard pressed to notice differences (Which is why its better to focus on controller and NAND reliability instead.)
OTOH, with the Sandisk you get a brand new drive with a full manufacturer warranty, whereas you're on your own with the Samsung/Intel pulled drives.

The laptop is used for ~10 hours a week which translates to about ~500 hrs/yr. Will MLC/TLC make any difference in such a usage scenario?
The endurance of TLC isn't really an issue, which is why most people felt they were ok buying the first consumer TLC drive - the Samsung 840. The problem with the TLC in the 840 was that the cell voltage kept drifting with age and performance was hit as a result. The final firmware fix Samsung came out with, if I understand correctly, was just a brute force solution that involved simply rewriting all cells regularly so that the cell voltage was refreshed. These are issues they addressed in the newer V-NAND in the 850 Evo, but the TLC in the Adata SP550 is from Hynix, and I have no idea how they've tackled these problems.

This is a tricky scenario.
Performance wise - as PoBoy mentions above, in the real world any decent SSD is a significant step up and apart from synthetic benchmarks you will be hard pressed to notice differences (Which is why its better to focus on controller and NAND reliability instead.)
OTOH, with the Sandisk you get a brand new drive with a full manufacturer warranty, whereas you're on your own with the Samsung/Intel pulled drives.

The endurance of TLC isn't really an issue, which is why most people felt they were ok buying the first consumer TLC drive - the Samsung 840. The problem with the TLC in the 840 was that the cell voltage kept drifting with age and performance was hit as a result. The final firmware fix Samsung came out with, if I understand correctly, was just a brute force solution that involved simply rewriting all cells regularly so that the cell voltage was refreshed. These are issues they addressed in the newer V-NAND in the 850 Evo, but the TLC in the Adata SP550 is from Hynix, and I have no idea how they've tackled these problems.
Thank you. Didn't know about the voltage and performance degradation issues. Will save up a bit and get the SanDisk mlc drive.

Sorry to go off topic but since many of you are already watching this thread...
I am a complete laptop noob. I have an old compaq cq40-616TU laptop with core 2 duo and 4GB RAM and want to speed it up a bit. Will upgrade to an SSD work for me? How to check if my laptop is compatible with SSD? Couldn't find much info online
Sandisk is recommended in this thread. Is this the model?
https://paytm.com/shop/p/sandisk-sa...d&tracker=organic|undefined|ssd|grid|Search|5

This is the best price I could find online. Is it a good deal?
Thanks for your patience :)

if your laptop is bought within last 4 years, you can be sure that it will have a SATA port. You can then open the laptop and replace the hard disk with a SSD. The performance will definitely feel snappier. The laptop would start and shutdown faster, programs would load faster.

Back