Storage Solutions Which SSD for HP dm1z?

Krow

Disciple
Hi guys. I was googling which SSDs will run on the dm1z netbook and I ran into confusing replies. Some places people were saying that only Samsung drives work and in other places people were reporting working Kingston and OCZ drives.

I am looking at a 80/128GB SSD. Please let me know which one is best for this netbook. Budget is around 10k. :)

TIA. :)

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

I am really not sure which, if any Samsung SSD is good.

Googling and reading whether an Intel 320 series 80GB SSD will work shows that some users have had issues, but most seem to be with recovering and restoring Windows to the SSD. Nothing points to non-working SSDs.

Another user had an issue with OCZ Vertex 2 SSDs. His read and write speeds were half of what he used to get previously. :O Even then, the SSDs were waaay faster than the HDD apparently.

Come on guys, any inputs will be appreciated. :)

Lots of people saying that the dm1z controller is unable to take full advantage of the SSD's speed. Is it worth it to buy an SSD knowing that it will never be fully utilised? Even these people are reporting that the SSD is still snappier than the HDD though.

Sorry for bumping up an old thread.

I was wondering if the OP or anybody else installed an SSD in their dm1. If so, I'd love to know it went, and if the the dm1 is bottlenecking SATA III SSDs. (I have a dm1-3210AU, and I was thinking of using an 60GB OCZ Agility III in it.)

I also want to use the Intel 320 series 160 gb SSD in the HP Pavilion DM1 (AMD vision 2 e450 version) but am confused. Can some one please advise me what to do since it will be my first SSD purchase and i have no clue about it whatsoever. Is the Intel 320 reliable enough as i have heard issues with it even after the firmware update.

How is the Intel 520 SSD for this notebook?

Just to update, I got delivery of the SSD (OCZ Agility 3, 60GB) a bit after I made my post.

I really didn't need an SSD this fast, as the dm1 itself would bottleneck the SSD. Even my Music PC (also based on the AMD E350 platform) would not really utilise its speed completely. But then I believe in future-proofing, and if it did not really make a positive difference in the dm1 or the Music PC, I wanted to use it in my work machine. To put things in context, I'd bought the dm1 as an alternative to a Tablet, and use it mostly as an Internet and YouTube machine at home and while I travel.

I've dropped the SSD into the dm1 for the time being.

Performance-wise, the SSD has not really made a day and night improvement in the dm1.

With the original HDD, the dm1 used to take 48 seconds to fully boot-up (pressing the power button to the point the HDD stops reading). And it used to take 9 seconds to shut down. After the SSD went in and after the software I wanted was installed, it takes 28 seconds to boot-up and 5 seconds to shut down. Not bad, but not exactly groundbreaking either.

But in actual usage, the dm1 has become very snappy, with programs loading in the blink of an eye, and data copying happening really fast. I used to get 8 plus hours of browsing on a full battery before, and after the SSD I got 9 hours and 45 minutes. That is good. The dm1 runs a bit cooler too. I guess I'll probably keep the SSD in the dm1 for the time being. I'm happy with it for now, but would have liked to have paid about 2K less for this much performance boost.

I'll think of an Intel 320 series 40GB SSD for the Music PC in another 6 months or so (reliablilty is a LOT more important for that machine). I might also get a slower (and cheaper) SSD for the dm1 and stick the OCZ Agility 3 in my work machine.

Back