Budget Above 40k Which phone would run smooth for at least 3 yrs?

mysticrainman

Disciple
Any recommendations for a phone (other than iphone pro/galaxy ultra variants - can't afford these) running close to purchase day performance for at least 3 yrs? My OnePlus 8t is beginning to show its age. Apps are lagging.. and I don't even game on it.

Last edited:
I know you said other than iphone but honestly I have only one strategy when it comes to phone for me personally.
iPhone, 2 generations before. I am currently using 12 mini which I bought this Jan. Before that I had iPhone SE.
They easily last 3 years. Only reason to change is battery after 3 years.

I know you said other than iphone but honestly I have only one strategy when it comes to phone for me personally.
iPhone, 2 generations before. I am currently using 12 mini which I bought this Jan. Before that I had iPhone SE.
They easily last 3 years. Only reason to change is battery after 3 years.
I don't want to consider the pro versions (can't afford - similar to the galaxy ultra). I am ok with considering the base versions of the iphone.

There are absolutely two phones to consider if one has a price range around 40k but right now both these phones are not at their very best prices. I'll explain it below.

1. Pixel 7a: It's a good phone with absolute best cameras out there, great software support in terms of updates (though there are bugs that get introduced every now and then with updates but usually Google does listen if reported by masses). This time they chose to go for a heavier build at 193g. Other than that the negatives include the Tensor G2 chipset which runs warm and if you are keen on using camera for prolonged times, be ready to get disappointed. Other one is mediocre battery life. The phone is currently going for 40k (with card offer). If you can wait for some time it's gonna come down like it happened with pixel 6a.

2. Nothing Phone 1: It's an all balanced phone with smooth software (with each update tend to improve upon user experience and they listen to feedback well), good battery life, absolutely gorgeous display. The cameras aren't to the level of Pixels but they're great and are not far behind. Improvements are being made with each update and since the phone was launched the phone has gone through massive amounts of improvements. It's best price would be around 25k for 128GB variant which it was a few months back but right now it's going for 30k so if you're not in a hurry wait till the Nothing Phone 2 is launched this month. Also, you can go with Nothing Phone 2 if it launches at that price point of 40k.

A phone with stock Android should last comfortably for 3 years. And this is from my personal experience. I have used Google Nexus 5, and Nokia 7 Plus, both with stock Android. Now I have Nokia G60 5G. Phones with stock Android don't come with bloatware, and if they do, they can be easily uninstalled. Stock Android keeps the phone light. I like my phones to last long for as many years as possible, and all my choices have proven to be good for this purpose.

I like the Nokia G60 5G too, and it is performing very well. But, I am having issue with the power button. That's the only problem till now.

I think Nokia, Moto, and Nothing (correct me if I am wrong) phone offer stock Androids.

There are absolutely two phones to consider if one has a price range around 40k but right now both these phones are not at their very best prices. I'll explain it below.

1. Pixel 7a: It's a good phone with absolute best cameras out there, great software support in terms of updates (though there are bugs that get introduced every now and then with updates but usually Google does listen if reported by masses). This time they chose to go for a heavier build at 193g. Other than that the negatives include the Tensor G2 chipset which runs warm and if you are keen on using camera for prolonged times, be ready to get disappointed. Other one is mediocre battery life. The phone is currently going for 40k (with card offer). If you can wait for some time it's gonna come down like it happened with pixel 6a.

2. Nothing Phone 1: It's an all balanced phone with smooth software (with each update tend to improve upon user experience and they listen to feedback well), good battery life, absolutely gorgeous display. The cameras aren't to the level of Pixels but they're great and are not far behind. Improvements are being made with each update and since the phone was launched the phone has gone through massive amounts of improvements. It's best price would be around 25k for 128GB variant which it was a few months back but right now it's going for 30k so if you're not in a hurry wait till the Nothing Phone 2 is launched this month. Also, you can go with Nothing Phone 2 if it launches at that price point of 40k.
nothingphone1 will not last 2 years bcoz of SD778 processor.

There is nothing as such. It will easily last 2 years. SD 778+ is a very capable processor and very power efficient one on top of that. As we're moving up generations in terms of raw performance, we've pretty much reached the limit where even mid range processors last a very long time.
It's the software support which determines the phone longevity in the long run, your regular apps start demanding a minimum version of OS to run which does not exist, because the phone manufacture already considered your phone as legacy after three years.

Android people know this very well, where as iOS people gets minimum of 6 years of support, 7 years incase of iPhone 6S started with iOS 9 ended on iOS 15 and it's still getting security updates to this date even after considered as legacy.

iOS people gets minimum of 6 years of support, 7 years incase of iPhone 6S started with iOS 9 ended on iOS 15 and it's still getting security updates to this date even after considered as legacy.
While I do agree iPhone has longer life span than Android.. I saw through some differences between iOS and Android.. and I don't think I'll be able to use ios.. (been an android user since my college years).. doesn't samsung provide 5 yr security update?

It's the software support which determines the phone longevity in the long run, your regular apps start demanding a minimum version of OS to run which does not exist, because the phone manufacture already considered your phone as legacy after three years.

Android people know this very well, where as iOS people gets minimum of 6 years of support, 7 years incase of iPhone 6S started with iOS 9 ended on iOS 15 and it's still getting security updates to this date even after considered as legacy.
While Google may drop support for previous android version but most apps that you use regularly haven't. Android 11 still holds the majority in distribution around the world.

Then there are communities like XDA where you could get most out of your phone even after the official updates stop. I mean just look at the amount of custom ROMs available for Nothing Phone 1.

Last edited:
While I do agree iPhone has longer life span than Android.. I saw through some differences between iOS and Android.. and I don't think I'll be able to use ios.. (been an android user since my college years).. doesn't samsung provide 5 yr security update?
Samsung has 4 OS updates & 5 years of security updates now.

Can consider S23, if you are fine with its price & its compactness.

What's your budget?

What's your budget?
Pretty decent, but I don't want to spend 1 lakh. S23 looks great to me, considering I have small hands. I really liked zenfone 9 but it didn't get launched in India.

Would it be a good idea to get s23 from outside, considering warranty. I know iphones are cheap6 outside.. what about Samsung phones.. any idea?

Pretty decent, but I don't want to spend 1 lakh. S23 looks great to me, considering I have small hands. I really liked zenfone 9 but it didn't get launched in India.

Would it be a good idea to get s23 from outside, considering warranty. I know iphones are cheap6 outside.. what about Samsung phones.. any idea?
Post discounts and offers, Samsung phones are usually cheaper in India, if you purchase it in the right window. I am an iPhone, Samsung and Pixel user, and my preference for longevity is in the same order.

In my experience over the last few years, Android phones easily last 3-4 years these days, unless you are someone who keeps expecting same level of performance throughtout those years. If that's your wish, I would suggest trying not to update the phone to the latest version. The reason for that is that as the phones get older, the companies reduce the budget and effort on those phones which results in buggy software updates. For example, I didn't update my LG G8X to Android 12 and am still on 11. Many people complained that the Android 12 update made their phone sluggish and difficult to use.
If you can up your budget a little, S22 Plus has been available for 47.5k on Flipkart for Axis Bank card holders. However, I think you should wait a little as many phones are going to launch in July and it's better to buy 8+ Gen 1 phones than 8 Gen 1. I too am waiting for the launch. Right now OP 11R is a good option and soon the Nothing Phone 2 and Iqoo Neo 7 Pro are going to launch as well as the new One Plus Nord which will come with D9000 at an attractive price.

For example, I didn't update my LG G8X to Android 12 and am still on 11. Many people complained that the Android 12 update made their phone sluggish and difficult to use.
Even I am holding on to my G8x. However I am on 12 with the latest security patch. It works as smooth as before with no lag whatsoever. I did disable some of the crapware after a factory reset once I moved to 12.
I would recommend Samsung simply for the longer updates and better support compared to other Android brands.

Check prices outside. But stick to the Indian variant IMO. My friend has European S22+ & he can't use 5G in India.

dont bother with the Samsungs! absoletly pathatic battery life.. slow charging speeds at 18W or 20w or whatever they have right now..Same goes for the pixels aswell.

get a Oneplus 100-150 Watt charging or an Iphone for longetivity.

dont bother with the Samsungs! absoletly pathatic battery life.. slow charging speeds at 18W or 20w or whatever they have right now..Same goes for the pixels aswell.

get a Oneplus 100-150 Watt charging or an Iphone for longetivity.
I am using samsung a 52s, batt lasts whole day, sot 6 hr,recharge time 90 to 100 mins

Back