Laptops Which Netbook to buy - Asus Eee PC 1000HE or Samsing NC10?

Corleone

Adept
Apr 19, 2008
Naga said:
The kb on the HE is much better. The keys are spaced out like the KBs on the Sony Vaios.

I'm running solely 7 as of now. It's just too good. By the time the RC runs out, I'll get either a retail 7 or go back to XP since the OS CD was provided with the netbook.

My speeds on EVDO average arnd 14 KBps as 3G has not been implemented here yet. Rental is Rs. 250/- per month. No idea about roaming as never used it outside my state limits. I normally use Airtel MO when travelling outside my state since my phone is always with me :). In case you plan to use EVDO on 7, u'll have to install the software and wait for it to timeout when it tries to detect the device. Then manually update the drivers from the EVDO program files folder.

I'm not sure about the Linux variants but there should be an option for Linux.

OK. But, you have BSNL EVDO right? You could roam within your state? It should be ok even if I can roam within the state.

Thanks for that Windows 7 Tip for installing the EVDO Device :D

Corleone

Adept
Apr 19, 2008
AK3D said:
OT - Naga, how long does it take Win7 to boot up? How much space does it take up on the HDD? Is it very snappy on the Atom processor - you mentioned XP was snappier, but is running Win7 a drag? Did you try turning down the graphics options and see what happened (the intel chipset is not exactly a speed monster when it comes to graphics).

I love the keyboard layout on the HE as well.

Linux isn't an option on these netbooks unless you install it yourself.

I donot want to install linux. I have Windows XP Pro License which I want to use on the Asus Netbook. If I can buy a Linux Variant of 1000HE I'll save on the XP Home License which comes bundled along.

Even in case of my earlier Acer Aspire One I got the Linux version as it costed less compared to Windows Version.

hotshot05

Skilled
Sep 11, 2008
Kolkata
hotshot05.page.tl
Naga said:
My speeds on EVDO average arnd 14 KBps as 3G has not been implemented here yet. Rental is Rs. 250/- per month.
The low speeds have nothing to do with 3G. EVDO falls inside the group of technologies which are collectively known as 3G technology.
It is a type of 3G service but it uses existing frequencies and does not need any special frequency to operate(HSDPA, the GSM 3G technology requires special frequencies which got commissioned just some months back).

The service that you are now using is not EVDO but basic CDMA 1X data service whose maximum transfer speed is 144kbps(it is bytes not bits).
Your area does not have an EVDO enabled tower and so you are getting those speeds(Even if your area gets an EVDO tower, you will continue to get low speeds since your plan allows you access to only the CDMA 1X data service)

Corleone

Adept
Apr 19, 2008
hotshot05 said:
The low speeds have nothing to do with 3G. EVDO falls inside the group of technologies which are collectively known as 3G technology.
It is a type of 3G service but it uses existing frequencies and does not need any special frequency to operate(HSDPA, the GSM 3G technology requires special frequencies which got commissioned just some months back).

The service that you are now using is not EVDO but basic CDMA 1X data service whose maximum transfer speed is 144kbps(it is bytes not bits).
Your area does not have an EVDO enabled tower and so you are getting those speeds(Even if your area gets an EVDO tower, you will continue to get low speeds since your plan allows you access to only the CDMA 1X data service)

That's right. EVDO is CDMA based. Where EVDO enabled towers are not available you get regular CDMA 144 Kbps connections.

gigy

Disciple
Jun 10, 2008
I have shortlisted these two netbook for my use and got the following quote. max battery life and robust build is priority due my kind of field use.

Samsung NC10 21250

Asus 1000HE 23000

which is a better deal to go with?

Corleone

Adept
Apr 19, 2008
gigy said:
I have shortlisted these two netbook for my use and got the following quote. max battery life and robust build is priority due my kind of field use.

Samsung NC10 21250

Asus 1000HE 23000

which is a better deal to go with?

I would say. I'm most probably buying it myself this month.

Could you let me know where you are getting that 23K price for the asus? The quote I got for the asus was Rs. 24750/-.

gigy

Disciple
Jun 10, 2008
meenal from prime has offered that price for techenclave guys. getting 1000HE delivered tomorrow.

MAGNeT

Skilled
May 4, 2005
gigy said:
meenal from prime has offered that price for techenclave guys. getting 1000HE delivered tomorrow.

Nice price........why dont we 5-10 guys decide and get same peice....hope to get 1k more discount if thats possible...i m in if more ppl join

buBleZ

Skilled
May 16, 2006
Corleone said:
I guess Asus Eee PC 1000HE it will have to be. Any GOs around here for that? Haven't seen any.

But, exams hain. I will be buying in June end only :p

In "youknowwho and the one that must not be named forum" there is a dealer selling Asus 100HE for 22996 + shipping(around 150rs) :)

Corleone

Adept
Apr 19, 2008
MAGNeT said:
Nice price........why dont we 5-10 guys decide and get same peice....hope to get 1k more discount if thats possible...i m in if more ppl join

Good Idea man! Anything for more discount.

Corleone

Adept
Apr 19, 2008
buBleZ said:
In "youknowwho and the one that must not be named forum" there is a dealer selling Asus 100HE for 22996 + shipping(around 150rs) :)

I'd prefer a GO here on TechEnclave. Anyone in for that?

AK3D

Adept
May 8, 2007
www.flickr.com
I bought my 1000HE for 23.5K three weeks ago. Absolutely love it to death! I originally bought it as an ebook reader, but I can do much much more with it (playing grim fandango these days).

I've found that my usage is increasing day by day, and I only use my desktop for heavy duty graphics work or gaming now. The screen is very crisp. The keyboard is a joy to use as well (this, coming from a person who uses a MS Natural 4000).

Advantages

Very fast bootup - with avira free, and a couple other startup programs loaded, it still boots in under a minute, very fast indeed.

Superb battery life - I get over 8 hours with wifi off, and 7+ with Wifi on. Screen set to 1/3rd brightness.

Disadvantages? The usual for netbooks -

Slow processor (hey, but its not supposed to play crysis now...!)

LOW sound. This, I didn't like at all. The sound via the speakers AND the headphone socket is low. Apparently this is common to most 1000HE's. I solved this issue by installing a winamp plugin that boosts the db. For movies, you can increase the volume in the FFDAudio mixer or AC3Filter.

It is a bit heavy, but when compared to a regular notebook, feels very light.

Can't think of anything else really.

Corleone

Adept
Apr 19, 2008
AK3D said:
I bought my 1000HE for 23.5K three weeks ago. Absolutely love it to death! I originally bought it as an ebook reader, but I can do much much more with it (playing grim fandango these days).

I've found that my usage is increasing day by day, and I only use my desktop for heavy duty graphics work or gaming now. The screen is very crisp. The keyboard is a joy to use as well (this, coming from a person who uses a MS Natural 4000).

Advantages

Very fast bootup - with avira free, and a couple other startup programs loaded, it still boots in under a minute, very fast indeed.

Superb battery life - I get over 8 hours with wifi off, and 7+ with Wifi on. Screen set to 1/3rd brightness.

Disadvantages? The usual for netbooks -

Slow processor (hey, but its not supposed to play crysis now...!)

LOW sound. This, I didn't like at all. The sound via the speakers AND the headphone socket is low. Apparently this is common to most 1000HE's. I solved this issue by installing a winamp plugin that boosts the db. For movies, you can increase the volume in the FFDAudio mixer or AC3Filter.

Thanks for that info buddy. You cemented my thoughts on getting the 1000HE

apextwin146

Adept
Mar 27, 2008
AK3D said:
I solved this issue by installing a winamp plugin that boosts the db. For movies, you can increase the volume in the FFDAudio mixer or AC3Filter.
How were u able to do this?

mjkn79

Disciple
Aug 30, 2006
sato1986 said:
+ i heard Samsung NC10's OEM is MSI.... So Asus is wayyy better

On the contrary the MSI Wind, on which the NC-10 is based is considered to be one of the best netbooks ever built:eek:hyeah:. Google for more info.

Personally i went with an NC-10 for my wife cuz i felt it has a better design and is nicely constructed, now this can always be a personal opinion so it has to differ:p. Please have a look in person before ordering. A Netbook is meant to be traveled with and should be capable enough to handle a few bumps ;)

Coming back to the topic, basically i had the same question in my mind, whether to go with NC-10 or the 1000HE in the end i chose NC-10 over the 1000HE in-spite of the promised 9.5 hours of battery and the Wireless-N. Quite simply because the sammy has been in the market and is a proven product, Now abt Wifi-N forget Wireless-N even broadband speeds in India are stuck between 128-256 kbps on an average, the only advantage of having the Wifi-N is the speed over the LAN for which you might have to change ur existing router.

Coming to battery life the NC-10 with Wifi on gives 6+ hours and close to 8 with Wifi Off , The 1000HE as per reviews will give you close to 9+ but with WiFi Off, in any case it has a slight edge over the sammy.

Both are capable machines but my personal advice as suggested earlier check in person. I was bent on picking up the 100HE as it wud have costed just about 2k more over the nc-10 but am lil greedy n i want a dual core atom with a ION board for that price and will pick one for myself when it comes out :eek:hyeah: