Video Which media player should i buy

I am looking to buy a media player in order to watch my downloaded stuff on projector

Requirements:
1) HDMI Port
2) Optical digital out for 5.1
3) Should come with 1TB + internal storage
4) Should be able to play almost all VIDEO and AUDIO format including flac and mkv
5) Should be able to play via USB drive, and 2tb External HDD drive NTFS format
6) Should be portable
7) Should have nice interface

If you are looking for a budget player, go for asus o!play mini (3.5K rs. approx) and connect a 1TB drive to it. Don't go for internal storage. You wouldn't use it.

i've been using Xtreamer for almost 2 years. Best thing ! With best support .
many new models out there, just check them once.

+1 for xtreamer. It probably has the worst support on d planet, but the product is out right amazing. It does what it is supposed to do pretty well. Plays every single format without a hitch, wud recommend it over asus, WD or ac ryan.

If budget is no bar, go for mac mini. That's as "smart" a TV can get!

I have connected a mac mini to my LCD tv and I use it for downloads, youtube, VLC player and iTunes with iTunes remote app on my phone.

bro if budget is no constraint, nothing beats a high quality BDP. Choose one which supports all formats. OPPO is the best, but players around the 20K mark too are extremely good.
Biggest advantage of a BDP over any media player at any budget is its audio quality, aka the dac. The difference is quiet noticeable if you have a good sound setup.

bro if budget is no constraint, nothing beats a high quality BDP. Choose one which supports all formats. OPPO is the best, but players around the 20K mark too are extremely good.
Biggest advantage of a BDP over any media player at any budget is its audio quality, aka the dac. The difference is quiet noticeable if you have a good sound setup.

Currently i am having a Sony HT Setup with wireless rear speaker, It sound quality is not upto the mark, still decent enough to watch movies, and yeah the dvd player gets optical and Coaxial audio in :D

I think i can plug in a Blu-ray player, and gives its audio out to Dvd player aka amplifier :D, is there any good BD player, US spec model will be welcome, plz help me :D

If price isn't a concern then mac mini is the way to go forward. Display wise both performs adequately but in terms of interface mac would be WDTV any day.`

just checked mac mini :(

The specs looks good, but its best if you want to use as a portable computer not media player, it has got just one HDMI port, and there's no separate optical or coaxial audio out port :(. It also don't have a remote control, so how would i use it as a media player ?

I have an AC Ryan Play On HD Essential bought during last year August. Works well with most formats - at least it played all the formats I threw at it (those that my Samsung LCD refused to play) but the user interface is a bit sluggish. It has a cheap'ish remote. I wouldn't complain for the price I paid for the device - Rs. 5350.

there's no separate optical or coaxial audio out port

The Late 2012 Mac Mini has the digital optical output integrated within the 3.5mm TRS jack just like the Asus Xonar DX sound card. Saves space.

specs_ports.jpg

You need a Toslink mini-plug adapter to use a regular Toslink cable however. This one:

41tVZSdv10L.jpg

@Gannu , are you sure, that adapter can handle 5.1 Dolby, DTS and DTS HD ?

also how to use it as media player, when we won't be having any remote control :(

Last edited by a moderator:
The HD audio signals - DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD can be transported only via the HDMI port owing to their higher bit rates which the optical port cannot do. This is not a limitation of the Mac Mini but the optical port itself. The usual audio streams - DTS/AC3 can be done via that port.

No clue about the media player part - I don't know much about the Macs.

Back