Which Linux for me?

Ohk....so i installed Puppy 4.2 today.... i found it better looking than xp :)

but how do i set-up my net connection?

i require a id and password to connect to broadband....i was able to set the static ip but how do i configure the dailer....here's a screenshot of how it works on xp!

and i cant find wine and compiz fusion for puppy

can any one provide me with a link?

I have downloaded mandriva 2009 few months before but i couldnot install successfully. How do i use dual boot at present i am using windows 7. Really wanna try linux but no luck with Mandriva.

well ....

just insert the disk it mandriva boots up and then a window appears click on the First option to install... :)

Yes i tried but its asking for root password and also its asking to install graphic driver there is got some issue.

I have downloaded puppy linux now. How is ubuntu and kubuntu in terms of reliablity.

vijaycool said:
Yes i tried but its asking for root password and also its asking to install graphic driver there is got some issue.
I have downloaded puppy linux now. How is ubuntu and kubuntu in terms of reliablity.
Ubuntu is the best way to start off with Linux.
Its reliable, there is everything that you need ! Almost ready made.
Thousands of guides to help you out with Ubuntu.
Amazing Forum for discussion and trouble shooting.

Synaptic package manager is awesome. All software at your door step !

There are easier ones like Linux Mint and Mandriva, But its Ubuntu FTW.
Its ubuntu that created the buzz ! Things before ubuntu were really worse. It started a revolution. Many Advanced WindowsUsers/Geeks heard this thing called Ubuntu and started to explore more about it, That's how it began and that's how it is even now.
You should try it at least once.

hmm ok.

start off with Ubuntu itself, Ubuntu comes with GNOME.

Its Kubuntu that uses KDE !

Now its 8.10 that's happening.

9.04 release date is 23th April 2009 !

amitmishra12 said:
:| m nt downloading another distro now....i ve downloaded xubuntu....mandriva....puppy in these 2 days

Huh.. have you even tried . ?Please do try once or twice .. Its too simple.

Ok here goes.. Load the desktop, there must be a setup icon on the desktop , click it..

Select Connect to Internet/Intranet - > Internet by 'Raoring Penguin] PPPOE - > Follow the wizard

Screenshot.png

vijaycool said:
I have downloaded mandriva 2009 few months before but i couldnot install successfully. How do i use dual boot at present i am using windows 7. Really wanna try linux but no luck with Mandriva.

vijaycool said:

vijaycool said:
Thanks will be downloading ubuntu. what should i download KDE or GNOME

1. Where did you get prompt to enter Username and pass ? Have you installed it ?

2. To dual boot just install Linux it will add Windows entry there...

3. For starters try dreamlinux.. I have been using it for months and I don't even want to think of buntu and driva :p

kubuntu is big no :p Stay away from it :p

darkstar@ i am familiar with linux in usability , not the programming side

have used opensuse , fedora and ubuntu

these days little out of linux world

so what do u recommend for me

usage : normal multimedia pc , no games , no photo video editing

plain surfing , downloading , music and movies

but i do tinker a lot with the packages.....

so which distro do u suggest

thanks

kuduku said:
i am familiar with linux in usability

Then for you, there is a lot of scope for further learning and exploration !!

Embrace the Arch LifeStyle !!

Its going to be tough, but The Solid Wiki is super cool and will guide you through out your epic journey. And you can always post questions in TE or TD or Any forum of your choice, and support automatically follows. :hap2:

a_k_s_h_a_y said:
Then for you, there is a lot of scope for further learning and exploration !!

Embrace the Arch LifeStyle !!

Its going to be tough, but The Solid Wiki is super cool and will guide you through out your epic journey. And you can always post questions in TE or TD or Any forum of your choice, and support automatically follows. :hap2:

thanks

will try and update

edit: only 350 mb !!!!

I hope it has a GUI

becos i have forgotten all cmds

^^^^^ No its heavy command line based.
Later you install GUI, then on you can stick to GUI.

But don't worry, its easy. really easy. The Beginners guide is amazing !!

May be Force be with you ! :D

Back