Which lens to carry?

mk76

Adept
I have Canon 550d with 18-55 kit lens and the 50mm prime (f1.8)

Shortly I will be taking my family to Vaishno devi. Need help to decide which lens should I carry? I anticipate majority of usage would be during daytime.

Out of two, better to carry 18-55mm as it will give you flexibility druring travelling..
But 50mm is such a tiny lens that you can take it too.. barely takes space to be left at home

50 is a very sharp lens but on such trips usability is kinda a hassle. I understand when you go up, you will want to capture the entire landscape so 18-55 will work there too. Also, personally i feel it's a little hassle to change lens frequently, agree there will be moments when you will think about doing and you might do it for maybe what 5-10 times but after that you will feel tired. I suppose you will be walking and going over a pony because if so, after walking couple of kms, if you quickly want to shoot, an IS lens is very very handy as might get a little trippy and your body takes a little to stabilize. This has happened to me once, it's not really a deal breaker but hey when you have IS lens use it. :)

So my vote goes to 18-55 Is and then if there are couple of shots you want to take in night or low light, you might wanna use 50.

I think the kit is enough especially since you are going with family who would prefer you concentrate less on photography and will be more than happy with the results from it.

Back