Monitors which lcd to buy...19" or 22"??

Wraith

Skilled
i have been thinking of gettting a lcd for quite sometime now but couldnt really decide on it but now i have decided to take the plunge....

i am currently using the Samsung 997DF(really awesome monitor!) and was thinking about getting a 22" lcd so that its a decent upgrade...

but yesterday i checked out the Viewsonic VX2245wm at Prime and i wasnt too impressed...well the dvd they played wasnt very good quality for starters...but still i have this bad feeling some how.....

A friend of mine has a 19" Viewsonic ...VG1930 i guess...i watched a bit of Apocalypto(horrible movie!!) on it and it looked very impressive!!

so now i am really confused as to which lcd to get a 19" or a 22"......i have a budget of 18k...so can you guys suggest something please!!

Also is it worth upgrading from a 19" crt to a lcd....i mean in terms of the colour reproduction n viewing angles and all....coz while sitting on the chair you cant always sit upright so sometimes you tend to slouch or something like that....

There are tons of threads on 19" and 22" lcd monitors. Just search for a few of those. There is also a good selection of threads which someone had made sticky for recommendations.

One thing and most of the users agree on is that VG1930 is a good LCD.

i've been thru the threads....but i still cant make up my mind...as to which one to go with 19" or 22"....

my main concern is watching movies n tv shows....and the vx2245 didnt seem as good as the vg 1930....so i was it just me or is there something else to it?

VG1930wm

Code:
  	   	Display Area 	  	19 inch

True Resolution        1440x900

Contrast Ratio 	  	700:1 (typ)

Brightness 	  	 300 cd/m2 (typ)

Viewing Angle 	  	150° horizontal, 135° vertical (CR>10)

Response Time 	       5ms

Panel Surface 	  	Anti-glare

VX2245wm

Code:
  	  	Display Area 	  	22 inch

True Resolution        1680x1050

Contrast Ratio 	  	700:1 (typ)

Brightness 	  	 280 cd/m2 (typ)

Viewing Angle 	  	150° horizontal, 140° vertical (CR>10)

Response Time 	  	5ms

Panel Surface 	  	Anti-glare and hard-coating 3H

Well considerin their Contrast Ratios, Brightness n Response time -

Both of 'em are great !!!

But their Viewing angles are really bad !!! :(

Rather go for Asus VW192T !!!

Note: Specs from Viewsonic India

well which is the better 22" lcd...the Viewsonic VX2235wm/2245wm or the Dell E228WFP??

And i just found out that my friend has the VA1912 not the VG1930.....so i guess the dvd which i watched on the 2245wm was much more screwed than i thought.....

Got a VX2235WM 3 days back for 17.2k without any bargaining + commision from a local hardware guy. Its fundu :eek:hyeah: ! It should be cheaper than what I paid. I believe the 2245WM has a iPod dock and the 2255WMB a webcam. I called up a AOC distributor two weeks back and was told a price of 16.5k. He said it would be available in the first week of August.

If you ask me, go for the 22" - the resolution is nice and the large size makes it great for movie/TV viewing! AOC's frame doesn't look nice :p and all the Viewsonic's have thick frames thanks to the speakers. If you want super sleak designs, then look for the Dell E228WFP and the Samsung 226BW - nice minimal frames. A friend has told me that the VX2245WM is the better of the two screens.

well i checked the VX2235wm today....took a proper dvd along...was pretty impressed with the picture quality....
looking head-on the picture was absolutely....only when the looked down on it standing up there was noise(graining) of the picture....

so how you rate the picture quality as compared to a crt??? coz i wasnt able to do that at the shop....i mean using a 997DF...so will be a worthwhile upgrade or not?? coz its costing 17.5k!!

Compared to a CRT, pretty much every LCD seems crisper, runs cooler and saves craploads of space and power. Color reproduction maybe better on a CRT but overall, the benefits of the LCD are a lot more.

True, 17.5k is still quite a bit. 19" LCDS were around the same a year back and who knows? Maybe in 4-5months you'll find 22" under 13-14k?

If its urgent and you HAVE TO get something now somehow, then 22", otherwise wait till prices drop a bit more. 19" CRT to a 19" LCD wouldn't be a great buy IMO in terms of area and resolution. I think you actually lose out on some area and resolution. But then again for around 10k, dirt cheap!

Color reproduction maybe better on a CRT but overall, the benefits of the LCD are a lot more.

well thats my most imp criteria....i dont want to loose out too much on color reproduction...the movies shldnt appear washed out or something like that...
how much is the diff like??

coz i am goin in for the extra real estate only to watch movies n tv shows!! :D :)

Then for best color reproduction your choice will have to be between the 20" screens - Dell Ultrasharp 2007WFP ~20k and a second hand VX2025WM. Funky's selling one. If you want more area, then the next jump in size is 24" - Dell 2407 or a Benq , I think both are over 30k.

I don't think TN panels are washed out to create that much of a fuss about. What you have to wonder about is whether its worth paying some 3k more and settling for a smaller screen with slightly better color reproduction when you're looking for sheer screen size.

I don't think TN panels are washed out to create that much of a fuss about. What you have to wonder about is whether its worth paying some 3k more and settling for a smaller screen with slightly better color reproduction when you're looking for sheer screen size.

thats exactly what i havent been able to decide yet!! its so damm confusing!!

I agree with what cj's been saying, the TN' are not as bad as they are made out to be ... you could get the Dell2007 if you want something better but now with Rahu's offer closed it's a lot more expensive ... If you'r considering the 2407 then imo it's better to save up a few more and get a 32" lcd tv insted, though it wont be able to do 1080p ... btw no point sticking to a crt with all the widecreen stuff around

Plz clear your inbox Wraith :)

Back