Linux Which is more stable Linux OS between Ubuntu,Mandriva,Opensuse and Fedora

sunbiz_3000 said:
Over the last 10+ years, I've been coming back to SuSE/openSuse for some reason... but that's because I'm used to it, I guess or suites my taste

Try all the distros and choose which one suites you... Thats the freedom of Linux

OpenSuse is nice but I can't stand sluggish of Yast and RPM packages. Its just my personnel opinion. don't want to start a flame way:p

Try this out, might help. Distro chooser

If you are just a user i.e. just want everything to work well; music, movies, browsing the web,your webcam etc. then go with Ubuntu.

If you want learn more about Linux than just commands, you can still start out with Ubuntu but eventually you yourself will want something more. Fedora would be my choice in this case. The only problem with Fedora is that you'll have to re-install and upgrade to the latest version at least every 13 months since that is the longest any release is maintained.

If you want to do compile a lot of stuff yourself, try out stuff that is not there in the distro's repositories, I would suggest Gentoo. But starting out with Gentoo will probably make you never want to use it again.

Given the fact that you are asking this question, I would suggest
1. Ubuntu 8.04 LTS
2. Fedora
3. Gentoo

no no, lets start another intra-linux-zealot flame war (again) :D

i recently tried opensuse 11.2 and was reminded of the "clutter" of it. yes, the bootup and theme is slick and all those applets/config options make you feel like a power user plus i like the "delta rpm" functionality which saves download usage like fedora, but i still prefer (k)ubuntu's simplicity the best, even though it is not a perfect distro either.

edit: nice "distro chooser" link, it can be helpful, if not for accurate results, but at least to get you started. the quiz results also suggests other links:

zegenie Studios Linux Distribution Chooser

:)^tuxs.org) Linux Distribution Chooser

OK the tuxs.org one is useless. zegenie distro chooser is excellent! Try it, it will give you multiple results but you can try them all to find your perfect fit!

These links should be posted to anyone and everyone who asks the standard vague/open-ended question: which linux distro is "best" ?

^^^

That Delta-RPM thingy is nice, I have heard ArchLinux is considering moving its repos to delta. this would save tons of bandwidth

Ubuntu 9.10 has been a nightmare for me. The biggest issue is with mounting drives. I thought this is not an issue Linux any more. I have to make a mount point for everything. Can't mount CD/DVD. Can't write to NTFS partitions even though ntfs-3g configuration utility says I can. I have to start nautilus with root privilege just to copy a file to my pendrive (that is after I have mounted it by using Storage Device Manager).

Currently I am downloading Linux Mint Helena. I hope it doesn't have these issues.

I've used openSuSE from 10.3 to 11.2, Fedora 9-11, Ubuntu 8.04-9.04. And for all the time, I stayed with openSuSE. The newer version has fixed some bugs and no problem till now. Its also pretty easy to configure network and internet.

Only -ve would be no mp3/avi support out of the box. But then you have 1-click installs. Just find/google a vlc i-click install and you are ready to go.

And yeah, I've never faced any stability issue for the last 4 yrs.

I never really liked opensuse. Have been using ubuntu 9.10 and it's damn stable, all the partitions, ntfs and ext are mounted properly. If not ubuntu, you can try fedora or mint

baccilus said:
Ubuntu 9.10 has been a nightmare for me. The biggest issue is with mounting drives. I thought this is not an issue Linux any more. I have to make a mount point for everything. Can't mount CD/DVD. Can't write to NTFS partitions even though ntfs-3g configuration utility says I can. I have to start nautilus with root privilege just to copy a file to my pendrive (that is after I have mounted it by using Storage Device Manager).

Currently I am downloading Linux Mint Helena. I hope it doesn't have these issues.

Its a permissions issue, By default Only root user

Install ntfs-config and enable write permissions

Back