Car & Bike Which is good for your spine - Car or motorcycle?

cnajerald

Recruit
Google the commuter bikes section, they lot cheaper, better mileage & very comfortable.

I travel an average of 15000 kms per year for work & I had Splendor before & HF Deluxe now which is for 51k & gives me 70kmpl if I ride below 50kmph.

I had a slip disc 2 times & train / car travel was very risky, bike is too but i had to choose the lesser devil. It has good suspension plus eastern express highway is not bad.
Which is good for your spine? Car or motorcycle? I cannot find answer on the internet

Car for safety imo if you buy a good safety rated car
also car for spin e imo coz obv u cant maintain proper posture all the time while riding a bike, not to mention jerks on speed breakers

If you have slip disc condition then of course car but that doesn't mean you can drive all day.
For every 1 hr drive you need 10 mins of break/stretching etc.

The distance you travel also matters. If it's more than 10 km (one side) then I'd prefer car.

Car any day but again your posture matters and if you got some serious back issues then when you are driving on highways, better to take those small breaks (stand and stretch) every 40-50 mins depending how worse if your back. In cities its better to avoid long hectic drives where you cannot take such breaks.

Bikes esp. those mimicking sports bike style forced even on a budget bike just for the so called style and comfort are actually contributing heavily due to the posture. And then those bikes where the back person is seated at the rear as if shitting in a toilet are the worse sufferers but they dont care as far as they handle their pride with pain pleasure..only after 30-35yrs of age they might regret.

Bike culture was comfortable only till end of 90s era.

Moped are good and comfortable as they maintain that comfortable posture not at all straining your bike or posture but again potholes and bad roads will somehow affect your body but not as harsh as the above bikes.

See an expert physician; their advice may not be appropriate for you as you may have a different injury or condition from what others have experienced here.
Since the spine is a delicate portion of the body, neither a car nor a bike are good for it.

only after 30-35yrs of age they might regret.
I am 42. heard of rubber smoking angels(RSA) from Pune? I am one... or used to be... Never regretted riding bikes. Tried an iron butt saddlesore on a P200 (should be some post on xbhp) and a trip to Khardungla on an R15 3k round trip back in 2010. 18 hour nonstop rides were common back in the day... all my back pains are attributed to accidents on my para-glider but not bikes. spine fitness comes from strength due to hiking and less weight not bikes.

Sorry, I am drunk and still love bikes :(

Cars give more maneuverability to your body, luxurious ones are built with comfort as a consideration.
I have at least seen three people in my circle who got bad spine situations after using two wheeler, with one case Dr. asking him never to use bikes again.

I doubt if that is entirely due to two wheeler. My colleague has chronic lower back pain and it was due to lifestyle and posture. Doctor asked him to avoid bike as it will obviously make it worse. If OPs issue is not reached a state where he has to avoid certain activities, it is far better to concentrate on building strong back and core starting today.
Cars give more maneuverability to your body, luxurious ones are built with comfort as a consideration.
I have at least seen three people in my circle who got bad spine situations after using two wheeler, with one case Dr. asking him never to use bikes again.

Imo.. None as one major jerk and you may need to visit Orthopedic or land in Hospital.

Extra luxurious seating/seat may elevate your issue, in emergency visit Allopathy and for long lasting relief visit Qualified & Honest Ayurved Doctor & Yoga Expert.
.. I cannot find answer on the internet
do not 100% rely on internet only for suggestions, talk with person with same issue, talk with expert garage mechanics (make sure he is not affiliated with any Bike/Car Brand).

There may be no tailor made solution to your issue but you have to find out with your own expenses & experiment's but with help of EXPERT as I mentioned in above para.

Start HOT water bottle therapy, simple GLASS Made good quality GREEN COLOR bottle, fill hot water and apply at pain point/area minimum 2-3 times a day/everyday.
Any liquor bottle, Green Color GLASS is best, can buy from road side scrap dealer.

Last edited:
18 hour nonstop rides were common back in the day... all my back pains are attributed to accidents on my para-glider but not bikes. spine fitness comes from strength due to hiking and less weight not bikes.
Agree! My ex-colleague who is a fitness freak, and a solo traveler does pune-bengaluru nonstop on long weekends to visit his hometown. Visit is just a reason he loves biking is what matters to him the most but he is in full bike gears etc. Never suffered from any back issues till date.

Sorry, I am drunk and still love bikes :(
I don't drink & I love bikes too but simply lazing off on a couch and riding is anyways going to hurt ones spine. Fitness is very important.

Shouldn't the question be: "Which is worse for your spine - Car or motorcycle?"

Some more options:
- Chairs (dining/work)
- Poor movement skills (esp lifting with the back instead of legs)

Last edited:
Start HOT water bottle therapy, simple GLASS Made good quality GREEN COLOR bottle, fill hot water and apply at pain point/area minimum 2-3 times a day/everyday.
Any liquor bottle, Green Color GLASS is best, can buy from road side scrap dealer.
Glass is transparent. The colour is added to it. How is green better than other colours?

Back