Storage Solutions Which external hard disk to buy?

Which external hard disk to buy?

Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex 2.5 Inch 1 TB External Hard Disk rs4300
Seagate Expansion 3.5 Inch 1 TB External Hard Disk (Black) rs3100

I already have a Seagate FreeAgent Go 500GB and Seagate FreeAgent Desk 1TB

Depends on how you are planning to use it. The 3.5" will require a power connection also while the 2.5" will work on USB power. so the 2.5" is more portable than the 3.5"

Also, rather than going for the 3.5" 1tb, go for a 3.5" 2TB, they cost approx 4500 or even less.

vivek.krishnan said:
Depends on how you are planning to use it. The 3.5" will require a power connection also while the 2.5" will work on USB power. so the 2.5" is more portable than the 3.5"

Also, rather than going for the 3.5" 1tb, go for a 3.5" 2TB, they cost approx 4500 or even less.

Yes, This is what I would have advised. Just pay a little bit more you're getting a 2Tb in 3.5 inch. As far as portability is concerned 2.5 is to be considered. But usually 2.5 inch HDD are less in RPM so takes a lot of time transferring data. Check it out if you can manage to get a 7,500rpm one.

If you are buying a 2.5" one, be sure to buy a USB 3.0 one. There is a WD model which supports USB 3.0, without any cost overhead. The speeds are double that of comparable USB 2.0 drives

My laptop doesnt support USB 3.0, what do you guys think about the Transcend 2TB model mentioned above? I am looking for a external powered 3.5" drive.

Thanks for helping me out avi and kris!

I don't know about Transcend's a.s.s, so I can't really say.

Better go for USB 3.0 only as it is future & it will work when you upgrade your current system.

That transcend one costs 5.5k ! So you will be getting WD one at 1k less, 4,375 INR. If I were you, I would have gone with WD.

Actually my dad is going to get it for me, so even up to 5.5k is okay. I have two WD hard disks and both of them have issue with the USb connector at the drive, its becomes loose after some time, this has happened to few of my friends too and thats why I avoid WD external USB drives. How about Seagate?

Seagate's also good, but if you want USB 3.0, then you need to buy a connector dock which itself costs 2k+. But if you don't care about USB 3.0, then you can go with it.

With the cost of adding USB3 to your system reducing day by day, its only a matter of time before you will get one. So go for a HDD with USB3.

with Seagate GOFlex you have an option to use it as a SATA drive for higher transfer rates and you can upgrade to USB 3 (costly option right now ).you just have to pull out the usb module and replace it with a USB3 one

h4x0R said:
Sorry for hijacking thread! Are there any USB 3.0 external hard drives that are backwards compatible with usb 2.0.

ALL are backward compatible. Just like USB 2.0 is with USB 1.1

@madhu - Seagate are sucking blood as of now :mad:

Guys, I am so sorry for asking so many questions. I just want to take the right decision. I have decided to go for one of the below two hard disks after clearing some more doubts. Even though the Transcend model is almost 900 bucks more than Seagate, it has got

USB 3.0 and it runs at 7200rpm, so I like it more. Also it has got killer looks.

I went through many posts in this section, but it seems like no one has got any experience with the Transcend 2TB model. That makes me think, shall I got for it? Also it seems like many users are having issue with Seagate A.S.S too.

1.Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex 3.5 Inch 2 TB External Hard Disk (Black) Price: Rs. 4717

2.Transcend StoreJet 35T3 USB 3.0 3.5 Inch 2 TB External Hard Disk (Black) Price: Rs. 5513

Please give me your opinions.

[strike]I doubt that the storejet is a 7200rpm drive. Can someone check it out, apart from the flipkart site?[/strike]

Seems it is a 7200rpm drive, go for it.

I too wanted to buy the same ext hdd from Transcend at flipkart. But I'm scared because I'm not sure of Transcend's A.S.S. Their A.S.S is handled by Accel Frontline itself but I read that they take a long time for RMA. Also I've had very bad experience with Transcend pen drive. It died way too early. Also Transcend (like Lacie) just makes enclosures and not the internal HDD's. So the Storejet 35T3 could have any HDD inside (crappy ones too). Probably thats why they take more time for RMA as the internal drive is not theirs but some other company's drive.

The USB 3.0, price (5.5k) and especially the 7200 rpm speed is tempting me. But the 7200 rpm can also cause over heating issues I guess. The case seems to have some provision for ventilation but I dont know.

Back