CPU/Mobo Which Cpu&mobo better???

DarkAngel

Skilled
I plan to upgrade my system in a month.... Budget is 5.5K to 6 K....
Which Cpu/mobo combo is better??? Mostly used for browsing and few old games.... (mostly CT:D )
E 5200 & GA-G31M-S2L (or) Athlon 64 X2 5400+ & GA-M68SM-S2L
i) Which of these these combos is better OC
ii) Is this AMD better performer than intel??? Does Amd heats up a lot(coz i have only a 300 Watt PSU)
iii) Which has a better integrated graphics the intel Gma3100 or the nvidia 7050????

Dude, the 5400+ is obsolete. Get the E5200 or the Athlon X2 7750 BE.

Anyhow, if you're planning to o/c, the E5200 is your best bet. Chuck the GA31M-S2L and get the better and more energy efficient EG31M-S2L for a hundred or two more.

Edit:

If you don't plan on overclocking and shall be using the onboard graphics platform, the 7750BE + nvidia platform is a safer bet. Better yet, get a cheap HD3200/HD3300 based mobo that'll beat any on-board solution out there.

Couple of options:

nvidia 7050 based - ASUS M2N-VM (3K)

AMD 780G/Radeon HD3200 based - Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2HP (4.6K)

Black edition processors have an unlocked multiplier. That makes it easy to push it to the limits, assuming you have a good cooling system.

At stock speeds, the AMD system as a whole will outperform the Intel solution in games, primarily due to the strength of the nvidia/ATi graphics solutions that are much stronger than Intels. If you want to stick with the E5200 anyway, get a nvidia 7050 based Intel mobo, such as the excellent EVGA 112-CK-NF70-TR or ASUS P5N73-AM.

Black Edition AMD based Processors have unlocked multipliers, which facilitate easy Overclocking.

At stock speeds E5200 is a better performer than AMD 7750 BE, but thats just in terms of processing power. If you dont want to OC, and wanna play games 7750+Asus M3A78-EMH HDMI (costs 5.5k)

Thanks guys.. think i wil stick to the E5200 & ASUS P5N73-AM as it comes at Rs.6000 and as my psu is only 300W and 4yrs old :( By how much does the nvidia 7050 soln. outperform the GMA 3100???? Or should i spend a little more and go for a 7150 soln.... Can u suggest a mobo with dis please...... Is it worth the extra bucks i spend... Will it run NFS-MW easily...

Karthi007 said:
Thanks guys.. think i wil stick to the E5200 & ASUS P5N73-AM as it comes at Rs.6000 and as my psu is only 300W and 4yrs old :( By how much does the nvidia 7050 soln. outperform the GMA 3100???? Or should i spend a little more and go for a 7150 soln.... Can u suggest a mobo with dis please...... Is it worth the extra bucks i spend... Will it run NFS-MW easily...

There is no difference in performance between a 7050 and 7150. All you get is support for HDMI and HDCP.

Errr.. NFS MW? I hope you meant NFS Undercover. MW is a very old game and runs easily on my 4 year old laptop with a Radeon 9000 at medium settings, so there's no reason for it to fail on a 7050/7150.

EDIT:

I guess I was slightly off the mark. The 7150 features a faster clock speed of 600Mhz, the 7100 550Mhz while the 7050 make does with a 500Mhz clock. In this case, I'd recommend a mid-range solution based on the 7100 - the Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H.

I love to play the whole NFS series...... Thanks for the guidance.....:) But in my dell laptop NFS-MW turns sluggish when i reach reach blacklist 6 or 7 even in low settings :(
Is it better to go for a single 2GB DDR2-800MHz or a dual channel 2*1 GB... Whats the advantage of going dual channel????

If you can plz quote the price for GA-73PVM-S2H and GA-73PVM-S2H.... I didnt find these boards in ITwares and deltapage........

Hey Karthi

Look all cheaper on board platform from Nvidia and AMD almost similar in performance for eg.

AMD 690v = Nvidia 7025+630a [only VGA monitor]

AMD 690G = Nvidia 7050+630a [supports HDMI, HDCP, HD 1080 or HD 720, digital monitor DVI]

[misleading info removed] sorry

If you cant afford AMD 780G based motherboards go for Intel based G31 chipset motherboard and Over clock cpu.

Note: AMD 690V, 690G, Nvidia 7025, 7050 have slightly better on board graphics than Intel g31.

Go for some entry level old graphic card.

MrRIG, I suggest you refrain from posting erroneous information if you aren't too sure yourself. Phenom II x3 and x4 processors can be used in AM2 based motherboards just fine.

HERE is a sample processor support list for a low end 690G motherboard for your reference. The Phenom II X3 is listed right at the end.

Ok guys then i'll go with Intel 5200 and a nvidia based mobo then :)
Is it better to go for a single 2GB DDR2-800MHz or a dual channel 2*1 GB... Whats the advantage of going dual channel????

u will get higher memory bandwidth in dual channel...i.e. if u put 2*1GB 800MHz RAM...the mem bandwidth will be 800*2=1600. So the in actual FSB it will be 1600/2=800MHz FSB...where as in Single channel the FSB will be 800/2=400MHz.(b'coz all low-end mobos work with 1:2 FSB: DRAM ratio)

But IMO buy a 2GB 800MHz single stick now and upgrade later by adding an additional 2GB for dual channel.( should remember dat u should get an identical pair for dual channel setup)

j1n M@tt said:
u will get higher memory bandwidth in dual channel...i.e. if u put 2*1GB 800MHz RAM...the mem bandwidth will be 800*2=1600. So the in actual FSB it will be 1600/2=800MHz FSB...where as in Single channel the FSB will be 800/2=400MHz.(b'coz all low-end mobos work with 1:2 FSB: DRAM ratio)

But IMO buy a 2GB 800MHz single stick now and upgrade later by adding an additional 2GB for dual channel.( should remember dat u should get an identical pair for dual channel setup)

Single channel = 64bit

Dual Channel = 128bit

what doubles is the Bus width....that is what results in the increment in the bandwidth...n not the frequency.

frequency does not double if u put it in dual channel...

(what u are saying is similar to saying 'i have 4GHz cpu coz my 2cores run at 2GHz each')

(similar to 2bikes traveling at speed X rather than 1bike... what happens is more people thavel in same time...bt the speed does not become 2X)

DRAM frequency will be 400MHz no matter if u run it in single channel or double channel...

the 800MHz frequency is the Memory frequency....

relation is Memory Frequency = 2x DRAM frequency... n that is the case for all DDR

DDR = Double Data RAM

which means that....data will be dealt wid for 2times for one clock cycle...once while the raising edge of the clock n once for the falling edge of the clock cycle....the whole relation of fsb, multiplier n all are related wid the DRAM frequency n not the memory frequency...memory frequency is the resultant data rate we get from DDR.

@madnav.... Thanks for the useful info... Should i go for the same brand with 800MHz in the future for dual channel or any brand with 800MHz is Ok coz i plan to get a single 2GB800MHz now??? What will happen if there are two RAM chips and they do not match in freq???

if they dont match in specs then they both will run wid d specs of lower frequency.

if u couple 800MHz n 667MHz in dual channel then both will run wid 667MHz mode.

it is advisable to use identical ram modukes in multi channel mode.

its nt necessary that u would find similar module in future wen u consider upgrading...so settle for modules wid standard specs if u plan to upgrade.

altthough 2x 2GB transcend 800MHz can be had for 2-2.1k odd now...pretty much vfm

madnav said:
if they dont match in specs then they both will run wid d specs of lower frequency.
if u couple 800MHz n 667MHz in dual channel then both will run wid 667MHz mode.

it is advisable to use identical ram modukes in multi channel mode.
its nt necessary that u would find similar module in future wen u consider upgrading...so settle for modules wid standard specs if u plan to upgrade.
altthough 2x 2GB transcend 800MHz can be had for 2-2.1k odd now...pretty much vfm

But the 32-bit OS will detect only 3.25Gb right.... Then how will a 2*2GB will be dual channel as the OS wont recognise its 4GB... How wil it utilize it then???

Karthi007 said:
But the 32-bit OS will detect only 3.25Gb right.... Then how will a 2*2GB will be dual channel as the OS wont recognise its 4GB... How wil it utilize it then???

it will not be used completely.
its a suggestion considering u may wanna upgrade OS some time in future...

u can allocate the rest to the onboard gfx...assuming that memory wont be allocated from the 3.xx GB which OS uses.. (no idea...wait for other to shed some light on this)

also there were debates regarding y not to go for 64bit windows just for the sake of using 4GB ram...sumthin related to the amount of memory windows itself using in 64bit...overall discussion led to conclusion that it was better to leave it unallocated in 32bit rather than goin for 64bit rightnow.

Back