Which cooler for a Ryzen 5700X?

Vandal

Skilled
Hi fellow Techenclaver's,

I'm on an AM4 platform with no plans to change anytime soon, due to the steep price of top end mobos and DDR5 and a desire to see what 2024 and beyond holds for CPU performance gains.

I have a 3700X which I ran happily on the stock Wraith Prism and am thinking of a 5700X. Reviews suggest the 5700X is a cooler chip, I'd not want to throttle it's boosting. I was considering LC, but someone told me downward air coolers also cool the mosfets and other hot mobo components near the CPU, which has intensified my dilemma. Since I don't have my WP cooler anymore, I anyways need to get something.

Thus, my choices are:
  1. Go with another AMD WP cooler
  2. Use an air cooler (please give me some affordable options, I'd appreciate genuine options from members on a 5700X, not something like a Noctua basis a descending order price search). Preferably horizontally mounted fans so that it can cool the mobo as well (graphic card is an RTX 4080)
  3. Use a liquid cooler because mobo components don't really need cooling (my mobo is an ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero X570)
TIA.

Last edited:
AK620 or AG620, either should be good. I use the latter on 5600x, temps don't cross 65c with prime95 small FFTs.
I''m sure there are other value heatsinks with great cooling as well, but deepcool AK/AG series is widely available here and very well rated.

I have been using Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT on 3700X since day one without issues (except for installation/removal for thermal paste refresh, due to its massive size). I was also considering Noctua D15 or U12 before grabbing Thermalright when I saw it for approx 6k, damn good deal tbh.

So if you're happy with stock cooler and buying a chip that doesn't run hot then like @enthusiast29 I also don't see any reason to spend on another cooler.

Maybe you can add/upgrade case fans instead?

I have used a lian li 360 galahad with it, kept it under 72c on full load, i moved to corsair 240mm does about the same with few times hitting 76c on full load, i have also used arctic esport duo and it worked similar to the 240mm aio.

Thanks for your opinions guys. I've done a few checks and will research some more. Speaking of Arctic, I also came across an AIO from them that has a fan on the heatsink as well as the obvious much larger ones on the rad. They say this cools mosfets as well. I think it's their AIO 240 and 280 series.

Any thoughts on these? Thing is, the stock WP cooler is 50$ here, and the DeepCools are around 90$. For that much, I'd probably spend double and get an AIO? Any thoughts?

One more thing, I'll be using a full tower case (Phanteks Enthoo or thereabouts), with maybe 5 case fans.

A cheap single tower cooler will any day result in better temps than AMD's WP. AIOs are good for aesthetics, not need thermal wise for most CPUs. There are cheaper single tower coolers than AG400, check other brands in your country. Or there's Aliexpress as well.

As mentioned earlier, an AIO makes no sense for the 5700X. Unless you want aesthetics. These chips do not run hot, and a decent Air Tower unit will more than suffice. Consider a AK/AG620 only if you plan to raise the PBO limits/manual OC.

AIOs only make sense for Intel's 13th Gen nuclear reactors.

are 2 pipes one okay ?
by 120W you mean 120 mm ?
The 120 watt rating is the amount of heat that the cooler is able to remove from the CPU (it can effectively cool a CPU up to 120 watts, but probably not a CPU with a higher power rating)

5700x default tdp is 65w but with precision boost it's gonna go beyond 80watts easily. Go with 4 pipes imo and be on safer side.

I use deepcool ag200 which is 2 pipe version with 5600x.

Hi fellow Techenclaver's,

I'm on an AM4 platform with no plans to change anytime soon, due to the steep price of top end mobos and DDR5 and a desire to see what 2024 and beyond holds for CPU performance gains.

I have a 3700X which I ran happily on the stock Wraith Prism and am thinking of a 5700X. Reviews suggest the 5700X is a cooler chip, I'd not want to throttle it's boosting. I was considering LC, but someone told me downward air coolers also cool the mosfets and other hot mobo components near the CPU, which has intensified my dilemma. Since I don't have my WP cooler anymore, I anyways need to get something.

Thus, my choices are:
  1. Go with another AMD WP cooler
  2. Use an air cooler (please give me some affordable options, I'd appreciate genuine options from members on a 5700X, not something like a Noctua basis a descending order price search). Preferably horizontally mounted fans so that it can cool the mobo as well (graphic card is an RTX 4080)
  3. Use a liquid cooler because mobo components don't really need cooling (my mobo is an ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero X570)
TIA.
which one did you get finally ?

Thanks for your opinions guys. I've done a few checks and will research some more. Speaking of Arctic, I also came across an AIO from them that has a fan on the heatsink as well as the obvious much larger ones on the rad. They say this cools mosfets as well. I think it's their AIO 240 and 280 series.

Any thoughts on these? Thing is, the stock WP cooler is 50$ here, and the DeepCools are around 90$. For that much, I'd probably spend double and get an AIO? Any thoughts?

One more thing, I'll be using a full tower case (Phanteks Enthoo or thereabouts), with maybe 5 case fans.
Do you have any budget setup for how much you are willing to shell out for a CPU Cooler?

I have been using Deepcool Ak 620 Zero dark for over a year, with a 5800x processor and a 3060ti. It is really good when comes to the performance. The temps never went above 80C during peak gaming and idle temps are clocked at about 45-50c. There is a new version with RGB and I think it is just cosmetically enhanced rather than performance. Many reviewers compared it with the iconic Noctua Nh D15. If you have a better budget fo for a Noctua Chromax Nh D15. It is the best available in the market.

Back