Which bank to choose for Savings account?

m-jeri

A Nobody.
Skilled
Hi All,

So planning to choose a bank for Savings Accounts. Have accounts with SBI, Axis, ICICI and a joint one with HDFC.

I just want one for savings. It should have all the mobile and internet facility. but this is just for putting money in. One with nation wide branches and supported ATM's will be nice. Want a branch at least in Trivandrum, Kerala.

Let me know your suggestions.

Thanks.

I am very happy with my SBI account,
I pay around 100rs Internet Banking charges yearly, and Rs 158.64/- yearly for VISA Debit card
Also, SBI has interest rate of 4% p.a on Savings Bank Account which gets credited half yearly
Apart from these things, i guess there are 2 options - if you want a cheque book you need to have a minimum balance of Rs1000/- (this is what it was around 3 yrs ago ) or zero balance if you dont need a cheque book
Hope this helps :)

Hmm... So the same banks i need to choose from. :)

Guess i will go with HDFC for a separate account this time then.

I am very happy with my SBI account,
I pay around 100rs Internet Banking charges yearly, and Rs 158.64/- yearly for VISA Debit card
Also, SBI has interest rate of 4% p.a on Savings Bank Account which gets credited half yearly
Apart from these things, i guess there are 2 options - if you want a cheque book you need to have a minimum balance of Rs1000/- (this is what it was around 3 yrs ago ) or zero balance if you dont need a cheque book
Hope this helps :)

From when did net banking charges start ? I am using SBI from many years and haven't been charged ever for that. The only thing I have been charged for is ATM-cum-debit card charges, that too 50 or 100 annually. Earlier it used to be 50, which I think has rose to 100, not sure though.

Also, after RBI's latest policy, cheque book is also free now. If the bank ask for 1000/- rs minimum balance, just order it through net banking portal.

You have 4 accounts. Do you really need one?

I for one like SBI a lot. The internet banking is very secure and the branches are good in number also.

My free advice, Use what you already have.

From when did net banking charges start ? I am using SBI from many years and haven't been charged ever for that. The only thing I have been charged for is ATM-cum-debit card charges, that too 50 or 100 annually. Earlier it used to be 50, which I think has rose to 100, not sure though.

Also, after RBI's latest policy, cheque book is also free now. If the bank ask for 1000/- rs minimum balance, just order it through net banking portal.

I thought so until now that i was being charged for Internet Banking as well , will have to check once again, thanks for pointing it out

How's your experience with HDFC ? What was the difference you saw when you chose HDFC over ICICI?

Surprisingly good. I am a salaried man. My dad is a retired stock trader. We don't have crores in our account. Still they treat customers very good.

Surprisingly good. I am a salaried man. My dad is a retired stock trader. We don't have crores in our account. Still they treat customers very good.
Friend (student) wants to open a savings account in ICICI because of the only reason that he anyway gets an salaried account from his future company?
Anyway both on paper look good. HDFC doesn't seem to have much 24x7 cash deposit machines.

How many times are the cash deposit machines needed? Actually, I had used that machine only once, that too for the sake of using it. Not essential for salaried who get a direct credit of salary. Probably for business people who deal in cash either to buy or, when selling.

@m-jeri whatever the number of accounts - ensure you fill up a nomination form. For those accounts that are not joint (either or, survivor).

Opened an account with digibank, just for the sake of getting an extra account separate from my main salaried account. Surprisingly good.

Back