Linux which 64bit Linux Distro

Bhargav

Disciple
Guys,
Which is a decent 64 bit version linux disrto. I know ubuntu is pretty good and out of the box. I have tried ubuntu both 32 and 64 bit, it seems to make my xps laptop run a bit hot not sure why though. Tried gentoo and had to end up doing a networkless installation since my network card(broadcom) would not detect..:(. Tried sabayon and it would not boot. Mandriva could not detect my hard drive and I don't want to go thru the hassle of disabling ahic. so I have pretty much covered all the main distros
So any new suggestions that is pretty darn good and I am looking for a 64 bit version as I have 4 gb of ram on my lappy.

Any Suggestions pls..

^^I dont agree with you darky!! 64-bit linux distros have the same polish and goodness as that of a 32-bit version!

@bhargav: did you try ubuntu gutsy 64-bit ? If yes,then maybe you should try to use ur lappy in power-saver mode (cpu-freq)! I havent seen or read Ubuntu causing any such heating problems!

ok I have even tried Centos, Red hat enterprise edition and fedora 7.

I have tried gusty 64bit and the though being in power-saver mode it still heats up. The fan seems to be on most of the time even if the temp of the processor is around 40 degree. I tried an utility called i8k dell fan utility but it works some times but not always and I am not sure how good it is on the hardware. So any other distro that provides a good support for laptop hardware for dell.

I have tried gusty 64bit and the though being in power-saver mode it still heats up. The fan seems to be on most of the time even if the temp of the processor is around 40 degree. I tried an utility called i8k dell fan utility but it works some times but not always and I am not sure how good it is on the hardware. So any other distro that provides a good support for laptop hardware for dell.

Im an Ubuntu 64 bit user but since you have had a bad experience with it MI not goign to recommend it again :) . I guess you could try OpenSuse and doesn't SLED 10 come in 64 bit versions? You might want to check that.

Back