Storage Solutions which 1TB disk to go for

There are not many models available in 1 TB. I personally would not suggest Seagate as I had unusual data loss in one of the partition after using 9-10 months though HDD is working fine after part recocery and format. I feel WDM drives are better and temp is comparatively low.

I'd say you wait some more time for the prices of the 1tb to go down a bit more or get the wd or sgt 640/750gig. If the use is primarily data storage then even the wd aacs drives are a good buy.

Get this one .... WD RE3 - WD1002FBYS - this is an Enterprise class HDD. If not available then the WD Caviar Black - WD1001FALS. Both these HDDs look good on paper - I have not used them.

chiron said:
I'd say you wait some more time for the prices of the 1tb to go down a bit more or get the wd or sgt 640/750gig. If the use is primarily data storage then even the wd aacs drives are a good buy.

Can you give an estimate of time and approx change in price ? If the fall is for rs.~500, i don't wanna wait !!!

can anyone tell why wd price is low ??? i have seagate 320gb 7200.10... its running fine !

today i was in lamington road to enquire prices of 500gb/640gb ones...seems they hv all shot up by at least 10%...hoarding or supply constraints ..hard to figure it out...was quoted 4400 for 640GB seagate and 3350 for 500GB seagate.

The prices IMHO on the 1TB will fall once higher capacity disks hit the mainstream market . I personally am waiting for the prices to go below 5k per 1TB drive before i replace my smaller capacities with 2-3 1TBs :p

I'm using a WD10EACS as a backup drive. The drive is used along with a Vantec Dock and a nice small freeware backup app about once a week.

Observations:

Quiet. Can just hear the drive spin up, but no more noise after.

Cool. Under severe load the drive doesn't break 45 degrees. This is on the dock people, so zero airflow. Under idle, the drive doesn't go above 30 degrees. It spins down to conserve power quite frequently (once in half hour), but I also noticed this in my 640AAKS, so it's no major problem.

Fast. I don't notice a performance drop from the 750GB AAKS source drive, backups to and from take the same time. It is not benched, but as long as it doesn't feel slow I'm fine (and it doesn't, at least not through eSata).

Prices of all components in the market have hit the roof since the dollar appreciated. Wait and watch is advised, but not too long as the dollar isn't headed south anytime soon. Also some dealers will want to book profits before Diwali as propensity to spend increases during this season. Hang on till a little bit after Diwali unless you have no option.

Eazy said:
Get this one .... WD RE3 - WD1002FBYS - this is an Enterprise class HDD. If not available then the WD Caviar Black - WD1001FALS. Both these HDDs look good on paper - I have not used them.

dont the re drives have some tler enabled or something ?

Back