What's the Job Recruitment situation presently?

plsoft

Adept
Guys what's the current situation regarding job recruitments for software engineers? Is the situation really bad as reported by the newspapers(specifically TOI) or is the ground reality different, especially for freshers?

Not good for service sector. Many companies have delayed their joining dates some like Wipro to even an year. Things however are good in the product sector.

This year there have been very few campus recruitment rounds comparatively, and atleast those who got selected in hexaware last year hasn't got joining dates yet .

hammerhead said:
Not good for service sector. Many companies have delayed their joining dates some like Wipro to even an year. Things however are good in the product sector.

In product based companies, the openings are very few as the total strength of such companies is kept minimal to get work done optimally. For example we have only about 50~60 developers to manage a product whose code base runs into roughly 8 million lines of code.

But in these companies too except recuitments to stop (even if they do not start layoffs). I have heard companies like MS have already stopped recruitments in their US offices. The same will happen in India too.

Services based companies are also laying off employees that they don't need. The amount of planned layoffs is worse than whats being depicted in the news papers. They are doing it in phases to avoid too much attention.

The time is gone when people working for these companies can reject any project they are assigned, remain on bench and still keep getting paid. Any person who has displayed such behavior in the past of present is in danger of loosing his job (if its not lost already). These companies have also started monitoring the Performance of employees very closely.

The situation is pretty bad for freshers, Expect no chance of placement in the open market as there would a lot of competition with a huge number of experienced people too going jobless. They would be better off getting their placements through campus recruitments and also avoid the IT service majors like Infy, Satyam, TCS and Wipro if you can.

For people who are already working, its better if you do not move jobs unless absolutely necessary. Many companies if reqd will layoff employees in LIFO (Last In First Out) order.

^^hmmm.... well have been working for a year now in one of the biggies....got placed last year....

was planning to switch after 2 years..now I might have to rethink that I suppose ...

Lord Nemesis said:
But in these companies too except recuitments to stop (even if they do not start layoffs). I have heard companies like MS have already stopped recruitments in their US offices. The same will happen in India too.

Well, mostly correct except 1 fact about MS stopping recruitment in the US. NOT true. It did appear as a news item on some wire services but was then clarified by a MS spokesman. They have scaled back their recruitment in keeping with market trends BUT NO freeze yet :)

I've heard IT(service) companies are firing.. but hiring on a lower scale..

and the LIFO concept seems to be true..

@ronnie gogs: its not like you shouldnt shift, its just that getting a better job elsewhere is tough. pay hikes arent as much and hence you could be found wanting a better deal.

I think switching now will/should become less about money and more about responsibility/domain/general hatred toward the company type issues...

Anyways, IMO its better to stick with your present company in times of a slowdown, because when the next rise starts, you will be one of the MVPs.

the road ahead doesn't look too bright ha... & those small (or fraudulent, not sure) companies are asking for advance/security money to train & employ you. It almost feels like you are paying for getting a job...wat a time..

Back