Graphic Cards Whats the fastest graphic card my motherboard will support?

ch@ts

Skilled
I've got an old AMD Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P motherboard running an AMD FX8350 processor, with an Nvidia GT 1030 GPU.
I was planning on doing an incremental upgrade, getting myself an Nvidia 3060 GPU now, and doing a motherboard+RAM+CPU upgrade later this year.
But I'm not sure if the newer GPU's will work with my PC.
Will new GPU's work with an old chipset like AMD 970? What's the best GPU that I can get that'll work, and that's good enough to do some playing around with AI/ML with?

Your motherboard has PCI Express 2.0.
30-series Nvidia is PCI Express 4.0, that's 2 generations ahead.
PCI Express is backwards compatible. So while it will probably work, you have to make sure that you are not constrained on the bandwidth. For example, when choosing a card, make sure it is wired for all the pins of the PCI Express connector, and not just half the connectors, because that might bottleneck the link between the GPU and CPU.

Further, your CPU being so old will also bottleneck modern games, so you won't be able to enjoy everything that the 3060 has to offer.

For example, when choosing a card, make sure it is wired for all the pins of the PCI Express connector, and not just half the connectors, because that might bottleneck the link between the GPU and CPU.
How does one check that? Do you have any card recommendations?

How does one check that? Do you have any card recommendations?

Avoid all of these:

Thanks a ton. That was really helpful.
Also, I can't believe that the 4060 uses an 8x bus while the 3060 uses a 16x.
similar situation here same mb, and cpu but a palit gtx 960. what card did you go for?
i'm looking at https://www.ebuyer.com/1141626-pali...al-oc-ampere-graphics-card-ne63060t19k9-190ad and

not sure if my power supply will handle it tho

similar situation here same mb, and cpu but a palit gtx 960. what card did you go for?
i'm looking at https://www.ebuyer.com/1141626-pali...al-oc-ampere-graphics-card-ne63060t19k9-190ad and

not sure if my power supply will handle it tho
I haven't upgraded yet.
Like you, I need to upgrade my PSU first.

I think I'll probably buy a 3060 12GB, or a 4060 16GB (if/when that releases. - as it's more power efficient.)
There are YouTube videos of a guy with the same setup as us running a 4060, with it performing quite well.

Back