PC Peripherals What UPS to buy?

Hi,

I use my computer mostly for gaming and I need a UPS with at least 45 minutes to 1 hour of backup only for my PC.
Please suggest me a good UPS with the price.

Note : The UPS should also be able to handle my internet router as it is mandatory.

Below are my computer specs.

Processor : Intel i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz (4 CPUs)
Ram : 4GB
Motherboard : Intel DH61WW
Graphics card : Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti
Monitor : 24" Inch BenQ - Display : 1920x1080 (60 Hz)

You could use a stabilizer along with your UPS. UPS normally have relays in it. Which is responsible for clicking noises when connection line fluctuates.

when you say 45 to 60 mins of backup do you mean at load (i.e. while gaming)?
You might need to get something with a much bigger battery then.
Also, over time the ability of batteries to hold charge reduces.
My experience: i got a 1100va iball ups a little over 2 years ago. it would provide about 55 mins backup while watching a movie(when new). today it lasts about 25 mins.
never tried out how long it lasts at load since my gpu is big power sucker.
And i agree, the constant beeping when it's on backup is annoying.

when you say 45 to 60 mins of backup do you mean at load (i.e. while gaming)?
You might need to get something with a much bigger battery then.
Also, over time the ability of batteries to hold charge reduces.
My experience: i got a 1100va iball ups a little over 2 years ago. it would provide about 55 mins backup while watching a movie(when new). today it lasts about 25 mins.
never tried out how long it lasts at load since my gpu is big power sucker.
And i agree, the constant beeping when it's on backup is annoying.

Yes I want it to run while gaming.

any idea how much it might cost ?
Price for UPS 1KA is already quoted here and gaming at ur config can consume upward of 200W......but consider your future upgrades too before deciding on the Inverter & Battery capacity.

Cost totally depends on your backup requirement. If you need power backup for say 3 hours X 250W, look for Inverter with 400VA and Single 80-100Ah battery. Total comes at 10k approx.

I'm running i5-2500k/GTX1080/1440P monitor all OCed and peak power consumption while gaming is at 420W :)

Do you mean we can have an inverter which works as UPS as well ? If yes can you point to some models.
I cant think of any specific models to suggest....my point is, to use UPS not as full backup source but as a protection against surges etc and Inverter for power backup to PC and few others as needed.

I cant think of any specific models to suggest....my point is, to use UPS not as full backup source but as a protection against surges etc and Inverter for power backup to PC and few others as needed.
Hmm.
I am looking for an inverter and was wondering if these so called Home UPS can work for both home appliance + PC. Saw few models listed at Amazon,

I'm not very well versed with this, but I have an old Su-Kam "Smiley 1400" UPS-invertor (so called "sine wave") which I installed a few years ago with 2x batteries and it works well for appliances (mostly light, fans and TV/HTiB) and my PC (and sometimes use the fridge with it), gives decent long backup (but i dont do heavy gaming) and PC is stable during power cuts and recovery.

Cost IIRC was around 4k for the invertor and around 11k for each (180 mAh) battery so around 25k overall.

Note : The UPS should also be able to handle my internet router as it is mandatory.

FYI the SuKam invertor+UPS model I use works well with my Airtel 4G wifi router CPE and also my BSNL ADSL Tp-Link modem, they stay powered up during power cuts and recovery.

Last edited by a moderator:
1 KVA costs close to 20 K at current market price. I don't know how you got this cheap. Maybe, it is the battery capacity. 1 KVA with the set up I mentioned could give you around 10 hours for a PC.

1 KVA costs close to 20 K at current market price. I don't know how you got this cheap. Maybe, it is the battery capacity. 1 KVA with the set up I mentioned could give you around 10 hours for a PC.

It is definitely not a home UPS. The battery this comes with is only 14AH (7.2AH x 2). Home UPS batteries come with 100+AH capacity.

Back