What to buy from Dubai?

andy1978

Adept
Apr 7, 2011
Next month most probably I may travel to Dubai so wanted to know which electronic product I should buy?
1. Blu Ray Player
2. External HDD
3. Laptop

Any other product?

phoenix844884

The Analyst
Skilled
Apr 5, 2009
New Delhi/Chicago
OP You are going at not such a great time for tech and electronics. GITEX just got over and DSF is not happening for another 2 months. Apart from these two shopping festivals there is not much in tech deals that you can get.

External HDD, laptops, PC components will all be almost at par with Indian prices. You might save INR 200-1000 if you look hard enough for deals.

Your best bet is to splurge on clothes/shoes/accessories from big brand American stores. Or just save your money.

Reactions: andy1978

TEUser2K1

Skilled
Jul 16, 2007
Mumbai
^^ went to GITEX twice. You said it correct. One offer was you can buy LCD/LED TV in UAE price and get it delivered locally in India, circumventing newly introduced high customs duty.
Dell XPS 10 was available for AED 999 on the last day. And some offers like these, nothing exciting...

andy1978

Adept
Apr 7, 2011
Nothing you don't need. You'll save a lot of money.
This advice works everywhere.
You mean to say there is no electronic item out there which will cost me less than what's available in India?
If I really wanted to save money I would have rather not go to Dubai at all. What say?[DOUBLEPOST=1382272172][/DOUBLEPOST]
I agree, investment is a great deal.
By investment do you mean investing money or better invest in something rather than buying something in Dubai.
If it's about investing in general I would rather plan some visit within India or drop it completely what do you say?
I will have quite an investment.

andy1978

Adept
Apr 7, 2011
OP You are going at not such a great time for tech and electronics. GITEX just got over and DSF is not happening for another 2 months. Apart from these two shopping festivals there is not much in tech deals that you can get.

External HDD, laptops, PC components will all be almost at par with Indian prices. You might save INR 200-1000 if you look hard enough for deals.

Your best bet is to splurge on clothes/shoes/accessories from big brand American stores. Or just save your money.
Buddy thanks much for your advice. Could you elaborate more on the Clothes/Shoes accessories things. I was thinking I would get these things cheapest here in India[DOUBLEPOST=1382272289][/DOUBLEPOST]
^^ went to GITEX twice. You said it correct. One offer was you can buy LCD/LED TV in UAE price and get it delivered locally in India, circumventing newly introduced high customs duty.
Dell XPS 10 was available for AED 999 on the last day. And some offers like these, nothing exciting...
So you are saying nothing much if I travel now?

raksrules

Elite
Aug 30, 2007
Mumbai
@andy1978

What @blkrb0t is saying that buying something just because it is cheap but you actually do not need it then no need to buy anything.
Probably people who have been to Dubai can answer on what stuff one can put money on if it is cheaper there.

blkrb0t

It's Nothing Personal
Skilled
Nov 3, 2010
Skynet
@andy1978 What I was saying is that if you haven't decided on buying something already, and which is cheaper in Dubai than what it is in India, then it is very unwise to buy the stuff just because it is cheap. I wasn't telling you not to buy anything, but to keep away from stuff that you would otherwise not use or desire, in spite of how good a deal you got on them.

Also, the clothes are generally cheaper in India than in Dubai; however, you will find certain luxury brands cheaper over there.

Last edited:

indy1811

Skilled
Dec 24, 2006
Playstation 4 if you're interested in gaming. Costs around 28k there. 12k lesser than here which costs 40k.

phoenix844884

The Analyst
Skilled
Apr 5, 2009
New Delhi/Chicago
Guys I'm all set to travel on Jan 16th.

Bang on! You are going in the middle of DSF and there will be tons of deals everywhere. From clothing to tech almost everything will have major discounts. Be clear in what you really want to buy and search for deals on those items specifically, because there will be so much on display and sale that you will certainly overspend and make impulse purchases.

raksrules

Elite
Aug 30, 2007
Mumbai
Does the DSF ACTUALLY have deal or it is just false deals with jacked up prices ?
Never been to Dubai but have heard about DSF.

TEUser2K1

Skilled
Jul 16, 2007
Mumbai
DSF lost it charm in last years, that is what people here are saying. Now, people go just to see exhibit /stalls of other countries which are attractive. Otherwise special offers, etc. are sparse.

dafreaking

Skilled
Jun 23, 2007
Does the DSF ACTUALLY have deal or it is just false deals with jacked up prices ?
Never been to Dubai but have heard about DSF.

Lol, this isn't Flipkart.
After the increase in the dollar rate (which the AED is directly linked to) shopping n Dubai has become more expensive than India. However, during DFS there will definitely be deals that will bring prices down, though it remains to be see to what levels.
A few camera's were marginally cheaper than here and some lenses were cheaper than US prices. Clothes/shoes are hit and miss.