Car & Bike What sports bike under 6lac?

harish_21_10

Adept
Nov 25, 2006
Initially I dint like the idea of buying a second hand bike but then there are not many options....what I had in mind is to step up from my 200cc bike to a 400-600cc then a higher one, later that it....Honda CBR1000 is available at the Honda showroom here, but obviously with an hefty price tag...

pushy

Disciple
Jan 9, 2009
for starters, u can always go for Hyosung Comet GT 250, then CBR 400 RR, once u get the hang of it go for 600cc category...1000cc category is not recommended as the roads in India are not suitable for such extreme powered bikes, but then again it's a personal choice whether to get 1000cc or not. my cousin have had a Comet-->CBR 1000 LE--->present one is CBR FireBlade 954.

FaH33m

Analog Vibes
Skilled
Apr 29, 2006
^ The time when when Litre bikes were not recommend for indian roads has long gone .Now there are lot of really well constructed national highways and roads to ride these mean machines comfortably.Saying this from experiences of a few friends who ride superbikes like the 2009 Busa,Fireblade 1000RR, and the latest addition to one of the guys collection is a CB100R.(the naked street-fighter look :D.) I absolutely love it.

He was telling me that of all these bikes the latest 10O0R is most fun to ride on india roads.

Anyways this is going OT , since harish isn't looking for litre bikes .

kranti2064

Disciple
Dec 23, 2009
R6 isn't coming to India any sooner and lemme tell you from personal Experience, maintaining an Importer is a pain.. Spare parts, Fuel Quality, Improperly trained Mechanics (Except Yamaha guys), Pathetic & Ever thinning Roads, Appearing and Ever Growing Potholes, Overzealous Cab Drivers & Auto Drivers & Platina & Splendor Bikers (Once a Omni guy wanted to race me on the Freeway, IMHO my bike can go 2 times the Omni's TOP speed without breaking a sweat !!)...

Upgrading from a 17 hp bike to 122 hp (Yamaha R6) !!! you get it.. And it is at least 50 Kilos heavier than a karizma... I think you should first get a hang on an old CBR or a GSX or at least a Yamaha RD 350 and learn the tricks of the trade and then only get a new one for yourself... Also Safety Gear is also of utmost Importance.. Jackets, Helmets, Knee pads & Elbow pads(Beginner)...

That's my 2 cents for you.. I started from a Yamaha RX 100, graduated from a Yamaha RD 350 and now own the Yamaha R6 (9 lacs including Customs).. Though I now ride it only on Fridays & weekends (I ride alone always, sick of Girls sitting behind and screaming on top of their lungs to go SLOW SLOW !!!!!!!!).. Never a scratch on me or on my bike... (I had my share with the RX 100 he he !!!)

Poga

Disciple
Sep 13, 2007
New Bombay
Chaos said:
Harleys spend more time in the shed getting fixed than on the road. They are good only as show pieces not for real riding - especially in Indian conditions they'll fall apart in no time.

This was told to me by my manager at office who has owned three harleys till date including the soft tail.
Hyuk Hyuk....thats real funny....someone calling Harley a crap and owning 3 of them! what was he thing buying the second one? and the third one?:tongue:

Chaos

Skilled
Jan 29, 2005
Nimit said:
Hyuk Hyuk....thats real funny....someone calling Harley a crap and owning 3 of them! what was he thing buying the second one? and the third one?:tongue:

So that while the other two are in the shed, he's got atleast one working bike mebbe :bleh:. He says he loves the bikes but gives the big disclaimer to anyone planning to own one!

big.bAd.boi!

Disciple
May 3, 2009
oye, what's the actual cost of VMAX? i went to yamaha showroom they said 23lakhs while the actual cost would be to 10 lakhs, that's what i saw on some motorshow ( 17990$)
is the import tax soo bad?

Chaos

Skilled
Jan 29, 2005
big.bAd.boi! said:
oye, what's the actual cost of VMAX? i went to yamaha showroom they said 23lakhs while the actual cost would be to 10 lakhs, that's what i saw on some motorshow ( 17990$)
is the import tax soo bad?

I believe its 105% basic duty + 15% CVD + another 5% something else in import duties alone. Plus you have to add excise, VAT, road tax, insurance, registration etc. So 23 is about right.

Grease Monk

Intertoob Ninja & Hamster Hunter Extraordinaire
Adept
May 21, 2005
Chennai
I heard that Suzuki is releasing the Gladius in India at around 7 lakhs. If you are willing to fore-go the 'sports bike' bit, I feel it is your best bet for the following reasons:

• Streetfighter configuration gives you the flexibility of touring, occasionally hitting the track, and being able to COMFORTABLY seat your girlfriend behind you.
  • Based on the cult SV650
  • Great for newbie and advanced riders alike.
  • New, street-legal bike with company warranty.

Review: 2009 Suzuki Gladius Review - Motorcycle.com
Possible Source: Suzuki Gladius on the cards

harish_21_10

Adept
Nov 25, 2006
^^ The Gladius looks neat...good design...since its just rumor for now, I wonder when it would be launched in India...thanks for the info though..

harish_21_10

Adept
Nov 25, 2006
Is there any 400-600cc bike thats available at their respective dealers?

For example, CBR1000, R1, MT-10 are available from their dealers nd no middle man needed...but when it comes to 400-600cc bikes, used ones seem to be the only option..

rdst_1

Skilled
May 10, 2009
^that's because only bikes above 800cc are allowed to be imported by the respective companies.If that hadn't been the case the indian market would have been flooding with 350-600cc bikes as they would have found more takers.

adder

Skilled
Jul 8, 2007
well just sold off a R6 a month ago,but my friend has one 2006 LT YZF R6 yellow color for Rs 6lakh in bangalore or chennai.