What is your opinion on selling items on TE for more than their purchase price?

No. Its my birth right to dictate what others sell their used stuff for. If he doesn't see my way, I will make his thread a shit hole. How dare he think he can price on his own and let market conditions dictate wether he gets that price or a buyer? What if someone pays him more money than he deserve? The seller needs to be in a loss. period.

/Sarcasm.

@rdst_1 lol please don't turn this into a derp-Lord Nemesis thread by bringing in cancer drugs and deshdrohis

Because everyone wants to negotiate on the price on the invoice and not the current market price.

This can be avoided by clarifying in the thread and warning against thread crapping.
Buyers are free to sell anything and quote any price they want but they have to be transparent. People occasionally put products on sale that they received as gifts but we aren't asking them to give it away for free are we ?

Personally my only gripe is with probable scalpers who buy products that they don't want and then sell it at higher prices while depriving others who are actually interested in buying the product.
for e.g., that one guy who snagged a HD598 after going through updates on the Amazon deals thread probably saw the demand and disappointment from so many ppl on having missed out on the deal, sat on a sealed box for a month and put it up on sale while not providing a pic of the invoice at all.
He may or may not have been a scalper but who the hell buys a new pair of cans and keeps em sealed for a month ? Sure he's still selling it lower than its current price and they aren't cancer drugs but some serious audiophile somewhere was denied a super deal that would've meant a lot by someone who didn't even bother auditioning one of the best all rounders under 20k.

We can debate about ethics, morality and supply and demand all night but this kind of stuff reminds me of the Amiibo shortage last year where people who had zero interest in the toys emptied shelves and sold them online for 10x the price to gamers who wanted it real bad.

@rdst_1 lol please don't turn this into a derp-Lord Nemesis thread by bringing in cancer drugs and deshdrohis

This can be avoided by clarifying in the thread and warning against thread crapping.
Buyers are free to sell anything and quote any price they want but they have to be transparent. People occasionally put products on sale that they received as gifts but we aren't asking them to give it away for free are we ?

Personally my only gripe is with probable scalpers who buy products that they don't want and then sell it at higher prices while depriving others who are actually interested in buying the product.
for e.g., that one guy who snagged a HD598 after going through updates on the Amazon deals thread probably saw the demand and disappointment from so many ppl on having missed out on the deal, sat on a sealed box for a month and put it up on sale while not providing a pic of the invoice at all.
He may or may not have been a scalper but who the hell buys a new pair of cans and keeps em sealed for a month ? Sure he's still selling it lower than its current price and they aren't cancer drugs but some serious audiophile somewhere was denied a super deal that would've meant a lot by someone who didn't even bother auditioning one of the best all rounders under 20k.

We can debate about ethics, morality and supply and demand all night but this kind of stuff reminds me of the Amiibo shortage last year where people who had zero interest in the toys emptied shelves and sold them online for 10x the price to gamers who wanted it real bad.
I already got what you were trying to say but I don't find anything wrong in scalping, especially when the products in question are luxury items. The same has been happening with iPhones for a long time now.
If ethics are being questioned, why doesn't the real seller refund money to previous buyers as well who might have bought the same product at original prices. By your explanation even 'sales' are unethical as they made two sets of people pay different prices for the same product.

Last edited:
I am the guy selling HD 598 which I got in a deal. Although I bought them for my personal use, that point is irrelevant.
Did that warning stop you from crapping my thread? The only reason people hide prices is because buyers start negotiating against the purchase price.
That's like someone got an iphone for Rs. 1 and people want him to sell for Rs. 5.

Someone would be happy to buy these at 12k. Even if the buyer and seller feel happy with the deal, you would not since you morally disagree with the deal?
Assuming you work in a job, your employer is extracting more value from you than he is paying you. Is this morally wrong as well?

As long as the buyer is getting lower than the Market price in such deals and it has an invoice (for warranty purposes and as time and proof of purchase, NOT FOR THE PURPOSE OF PRICE), I don't mind if the seller is making profit on his product. (This is just a personal opinion).

Did that warning stop you from crapping my thread?

Reminding someone of market rules isn't thread crapping, back in the day your thread wouldn't have been approved in the first place at all.
And what's with all the irrelevant analogies in this thread lol, summon derp or lord nemesis here if you want to go off on a tangent.

i was selling my nuc well within the price i purchased it at, not by alot, but close .. cuz i hadn't used it at all, and didn't want to loose alot of money.but a couple of guys automatically thought since it was also a lightening deal, im making shit loads of cash and double profits. i sent my bills to buyer, he was satisfied and surprised aswell with me now realising that my asking price was more then justified. he was ok even if i was making a profit cuz it was still way cheaper then what he would have paid for a new one. yes he told me that.

i just want to post here to let people know, that don't judge everyone the same, I am a old member since 07 with 100% postive deals. and we post threads here first so that the seller dont loose alot of money and the buyer gets a good condition item, there are no such verification or refunds when u buy from ebay/quickr etc but people just want to lowball the **** out of the deal and make sure the seller sells in loss and the buyer haggles as much as he can. I didnt want to explain myself in my sale thread cuz one thing would lead to another and would blow out of proportion. NO ONE IS DUMB today, the buyers check everywhere and with friends to make sure what they r paying is proper, just cuz u cant afford it and want someone to loose their money dont go ****in up people's sale thread. aslong as its not higher then retail. it really doesnt matter what price the buyer/seller paid. period.

Last edited:
^^

Keep the lowballers out of this topic. They are a different kind of beasts. They dont care what price its bought. Just want dirt cheap price.

But yea, the last part of your post. I agree. Molar police or ethics police think every buyer is a sheep and needs to be helped. That is just awful. What people don't understand is forum market places are the place to make money. simple as that. How much money is subjective.None of the things if sold outside tech community (offline or online) will get even 1/4th price quoted in those threads. But morons are everywhere i guess.

If I remember, there is a moderator from the "other forum" who specializes in flipping phones. for profit. He was banned here or went dormant.

also there is no authenticity in shops/craigslist type sales, u buy the phone / product and thats it. if its ****ed up by the time ur out of the store thats your problem.

here sellers take responsibility for their products and the condition aswell. you are paying for peace of mind ...

There is nothing wrong in scalping. If you think you can make a quick buck from these online deals you might as well go and make good of it. Its just like other sellers. Buy and sell to make a profit. But if the scalper loots and prevents genuine buyer from getting a deal then that would have to be dealt with.

Anytime I see someone doing this my opinion of them immediately hits rock bottom. They instantly go into the pile of people I would avoid interacting/talking with, buying from or selling to and helping them in anyway.

You are free to do what you want. I am free to think you are a shitty human being.

Continuing this.
Quick question. Do you guys ask for seller's cost price every time you go to the market as well.
Except this is a community market and not a bazar retail market.

All these ethical people needs to do this for once. My personal opinion is whoever try to act smart or for the better of others are just morons who just bully a fellow from the comfort and safety behind their keyboard.

Its about transparency, not ethics. How is doing something for other members make someone a "moron"? o_O
some of these scalpers don't even post the pics of the invoice at all which is a mandatory requirement for a sale thread on te.
Also name, address and contact no. is understood but why black out the amount ?

Buyers are free to sell anything and
quote any price they want but they
have to be transparent.
I second these and entirely blame the mods for it. If any other member does it the seller will cry foul and consider it "thread crapping."
Because everyone wants to negotiate on the price on the invoice and not the current market price.

Its only for transparency and not negotiation like you said. Interested buyers can go the PM route for any negotiation. But any "ethical" comments on the FS thread should be considered threadcrapping and posters warned/banned.
I am the guy selling HD 598 which I got in a deal. Although I bought them for my personal use, that point is irrelevant.

Did that warning stop you from crapping my thread? The only reason people hide prices is because buyers start negotiating against the purchase price.
That's like someone got an iphone for Rs. 1 and people want him to sell for Rs. 5.

Someone would be happy to buy these at 12k. Even if the buyer and seller feel happy with the deal, you would not since you morally disagree with the deal?
Assuming you work in a job, your employer is extracting more value from you than he is paying you. Is this morally wrong as well?

lol did you actually went through the whole thread?

If I remember, there is a moderator from the "other forum" who specializes in flipping phones. for profit. He was banned here or went dormant.

He was banned. Not intending to go OT but he apparently justified himself there and so continue to remain a mod. :p
i was selling my nuc well within the price i purchased it at, not by alot, but close .. cuz i hadn't used it at all, and didn't want to loose alot of money.but a couple of guys automatically thought since it was also a lightening deal, im making shit loads of cash and double profits.

Its good that you sent him the bill. Many sellers either fail to or simply don't want to do it. The other guys should be considered thread crapping if they posted on the thread and you can just ignore their PMs.
And one thing I noticed about some sellers is because of their higher deals done or their "titles" they think that they are above the rules and regulations of the forum and so try to bypass them and don't give out some important info.

like i said, dont judge everyone the same. the new guys just want to flash the rules and regulation handbook like it handed down to you from someone's will. want to post in every thread even if they aint buying. i know a genuine buyer and dont feed the trolls, been here long enough to know who is one.

Maybe I should go ask Mukesh bhai why petrol has only dropped <5% whereas crude has dropped 40%.

It's not really difficult. Look at the price. Do you like the product and think it is a better deal than elsewhere? Then buy it. If you don't, move along.

TE is now large enough that thinking about it as a group of friends doing favours for others is a bit naive. Sure, it is a good community and it helps with what @toxicdrift said about trusting the buyer and about receiving a working product. But demanding that the buyer break out of the economic system the majority of the world runs on does fee like entitlement on the part of the asker.

Back