CPU/Mobo What is this comp prob due to?

Trajan

Adept
Have a wierd comp problem....

2 - 3 months back there was a problem with the comp... suddenly one day the hard disk doesnt work properly... the windows load time increases drastically and sound breaks in games n other applns that have a lot of HDD read... reinstallin the OS did not help... finally swapping the IDE cables and IDE port solves the problem... check the following thread

http://www.techenclave.com/forums/weird-comp-problem-10189.html

Yesterday the same problem was there... Comp was working fine till the day before... yest there was a lot of hard disk reads, slow booting, sound cracks during gaming... i tried running hardisk benchmark in sisoft sandra and sandra did not open giving error... so tried uninstalling to reinstall and the comp restarted.... Then it did not login... when i enter the psswrd in logon screen it wud show desktop for 1 sec and then log off again automatically... tried 5 times to login then restarted the sys... it was fine... installed sisoft sandra and the benchmard hung... then checked for spyware and virus with latest definitions but there were none...

today morning i exchanged the IDE cable n IDE port of HDD with DVD writer and the comp works like charm.... now what cud this probs be due to??

My doubts are
1. IDE controller must be faulty
2. Chipset drivers that control the IDE controller should be corrupt...

what do u guys think?? and is there any software that wud help to check the health of XP... ie to check the working of all sys files... i know Drwatson is there but that is crap....

itsmevivek said:
l
today morning i exchanged the IDE cable n IDE port of HDD with DVD writer and the comp works like charm.... now what cud this probs be due to??

My doubts are
1. IDE controller must be faulty
2. Chipset drivers that control the IDE controller should be corrupt...

what do u guys think?? and is there any software that wud help to check the health of XP... ie to check the working of all sys files... i know Drwatson is there but that is crap....

for me ide controller must be faulty, check for dust etc, your chipset drivers either work or they dont, there's no middle way.

about verifying system files, go to system information-tools-file signature verification utility. i dont think this a software problem :(

what about your power supply, does it have enuf juice. any bad-sectors on your disk, use chkdsk /f to check for hard drive errors.

Guys got the same probs yesterday.... I had left the screen in Logon screen for an hour and when i came back there was full hard disk activity... the system was slow when logged in... sound was cracking.... so exchanged the IDE port of HDD and DVD writer... the system was slow again.... when i restarted the system refused to boot the OS... i got that a file was missing for the first time and after that it says no boot disk...

what do u guys think i shud do? is there any way to find out whether the IDE controller is working correctly?

Note: there is no problem in detecting the HDD in BIOS....

Back