What if google offers free internet in india??

Eldorados

Disciple
SiliconValley.com - Google on Friday submitted a proposal to cover San Francisco with a free wireless Internet network, perhaps the most provocative offer from a bevy of companies that want to help Mayor Gavin Newsom reach his goal of providing universal broadband access to all the city's residents.
Read the entire new here.

What if google offers free internet in any state in india???what will be the implications they will have to face(Well wi-fi i dont think they'll have a prob!!!)
how will this affect people life???will this make everyone to buy pc's for thier kids???how will people react to the term '"Freeeeee"

Well i think this is a innovatative idea, free internet will not only make the people buy n learn computer it will also increase their knowlege.which i think will help build india into a developed economy.i think poclitical leaders should think of this(well.....i knw***indian politics:eek:hyeah:), well anyways this is my view....
From,
Eldorados

Once google offers free wifi anywhere, hackers will have a field day. And where the hell is security? Even if a guy does not hack his neighbours transmissions, he can use the free access wthout any one being able to track him.

Yes! Now we don't need phishers to steal our passwords! Universal wifi access will do away with the need for phishers! You can get your password stolen so much easier now.

WiFi is inherently insecure for public networks, and even for private ones only after WPA it is of any use. But even there u need RADIUS or something... basically applying it to a public network is well nigh impossible unless google assigns each household a separate key, don't kno enuf of wifi to know what possibilites there are.

Google shud go for wimax instead, probably cheaper and more secure.

Having a firewall wont protect you w.r.t a wireless network in most cases.The major cases will be of war driving,sniffing user data,passwords through thin air.

Which IMHO no tool will help you unless you are using encryption such as WPA a bare minimum.

Forget about WEP then,the minimum number of packets,IV's needed to crack will be surpassed definately.

Unless & until the public hotspots make use of encryption,RADIUS authentication & the wi-fi alliance comes up with more secure methods to protect user data I believe google will be doing a favor for all war drivers sniffers out there ! AMEN !

Anyone interested in wi-fi security & got the urge to play with a IDS[Intrusion Detection System] then please have a look here : http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Sections-article139.php

EDIT:Oops I was slow in typing,kingkrool already made what I wanted to say.

Dats rit kingkrool(giving seperate keys wud do!!)...but u've got to see the positive effects of it too...n digen be fastter lol...

When I said firewall I merely meant to point out people's lacadaisical attitude towards security...

the only way for securiy on WiFi is WPA (preferably v2) with a RADIUS server and maybe a VPN on that...

advanced encrption work?

And what exactly is that?

Look, typical encryption is at the application layer... so each app decides whether it wants security or not. So some pages are https others are plain ol' http

But that is unacceptable when u have an unsecure network such as wifi.. so u will need to do below the app layer... at the MAC layer to be specific. So

they made WEP on the RC4 algo.. but it was not done proper plus there is suspected to be a flaw in the RC4 algo as it is... (suspected because the RC4 has never been officaily revealed even tho there is a version floating arnd the net).

So they made WPA but either these are shared key (no real security over a public n/w there cos everyone knows the key) or u go for A RADIUS server. But how do you do this authentication? Everyone will have to be assigned a login. Massive task and I haven't heard of any equipment which can handle so much except maybe some of Cisco's most expensive stuff...

VPNs are secure but the P in them stands for PRIVATE.

Back