Laptops What happened to fusion lappy ?

MAGNeT

Skilled
Well it was talk of the town 2-3 months back but now it looks to have gone in oblivion or nothing serious stuff coming up here.Whats the reason?

fusion hasn't gone into oblivion.its old news now.we get excited about new tech and talk about it a lot and contemplate about the effect it will have on the computing industry.then they become 'no big deal' 2 months after release and we start talking about some other latest tech.my vote for the next six months is the 3-d processor tech by intel. anybody agree ? :)

I love talking "just like that" with people as I tend to get good info, despite getting it off the record.

I had a word with someone who handles PR for 2 netbook/notebook/laptop/AIO/Desktop replacement units company. The reason (according to them as their position is limited to PR and does not include marketing) is purely on pricing. Near decent atom netbooks cost 18-22k. Add a little more money you would get an i3 notebook from certain Tier 1 brands. Pricing is done in such a manner it just ridiculousy stupid to slot in between as people will be even more encouraged to grab a "low end" notebook against a netbook. If they do so, netbook will not do as well as it should. Also these companies are pushing tablet concept way more than netbook concept, so some companies deemed that its best not to get such netbooks and waste time and money to promote it. You might see fusion netbooks somewhere in the near future or by any chance if a company does not see things this way.

Why is it priced this way? Well that's the question where a real answer wont materialise soon.

I sort of agree with the whole price thing. Companies like Asus and MSI offer amazing configurations of Intel's 1st gen Core i3 and i5 processors priced around 25k which seems to be the point high end netbooks and ultraportables target, and these laptops are also built amazingly.

From Acer, you can buy Intel Pentium P6xxx based 15.6" laptops for 20k.

Majority who don't mind the heavy weight of a 15.6" laptop prefer these to netbooks whose performance/price ratio is significantly lower.

I feel hp has nailed it with hp dm1z at 25k pricepoint.you don't get direct x 11 graphics performance in this price range.build quality is very good.screen resolution and size is better than most netbooks.easy access to internals for easy upgrades.7200 rpm hard drive.this is a very good configuration for an all around computer with very good battery life.I think it is a better package overall than msi or asus 25k options.Though the situation may change when these vendors start offering amd fusion laptops at 20k.(350$-400$) e-350 models are already available at amazon.com.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

I feel hp has nailed it with hp dm1z at 25k pricepoint.you don't get direct x 11 graphics performance in this price range.build quality is very good.screen resolution and size is better than most netbooks.easy access to internals for easy upgrades.7200 rpm hard drive.this is a very good configuration for an all around computer with very good battery life.I think it is a better package overall than msi or asus 25k options.Though the situation may change when these vendors start offering amd fusion laptops at 20k.(350$-400$) e-350 models are already available at amazon.com.

Mohit said:
What is the price of the HP DM1Z in India?
HP Pavilion dm1-3014au Entertainment Notebook PC (LQ390PA) specifications - HP Home & Home Office products

Fusion is here to stay, even though the pricing is bit on the higher side. Ofcourse computer illiterate people will end up buying bulky machines with underpowered hardware, but the fact is one need better combination of hardware. A Pentium running a 15" with puny Intel VGA adapter won't even come closer to DM1z or similar fusion laptops. Given the dearth of lappies with good graphics under 35k, Fusion has an ample market space and with Llano launching next week there is much to come. I am still saving and waiting for my payments and once i have them, I'll end up buying DM1z :p

The low response of Fusion is probably because of poor marketing of Fusion based products in India. When I went to couple of Hp showroom, some of them didn't even know about it. I was able to locate the leaflet in only one of the showroom. rest of them were unaware of the Hp Dm1z, while Sony YB can be spotted in almost every sony showroom. So I'll blame it on HP as well AMD for poor marketing of Fusion products in India.

I bought a Lenovo X120E and used it for a couple of months.

The laptop was decent but I think I was expecting too much out of it. I think I had a mindset of being more of a "slower mainstream" laptop than a superchargd "netbook", I think if you think of it as a netbook then you wouldn't be as disappointed as I was.The CPU was really weak. I also felt that the battery life wasn't on par. a 6 cell batter was delivering only 4.5 hours of life. Bought it for about $380 all inclusive.

I sold it off for the price I bought and went for a x220. Sandy bridge i5, 4gigs, 12.5 IPS panel. Absolutely flies through everything and gives 8 hours of life..and I am so glad I did. Bought it for 800 and worth every penny.

Hmmm. I have been using e350 mobo in my carputer config and its been running real smooth. resume and hibernation timing(important in carputer environment) is better than ion that I have used previously for 2 years. I am yet to push this mobo with audio processing with xonar. Which I feel it will handle it fine.

Infact today I have just ordered my dma1z from states which will be here in a few days.

I agree blame hp and amd for not marketing this nice lappy.

Back