What do if I lose my phone?

I too would like to know the premium I need to pay for phone insurance. And which company does offer this and most importantly what are the terms. I am sure there must be some catch.

When One of my friend's cell was pick pocketed he tracked down his lost mobile through the IMEI number.........the person who was using his mobile brought the phone in the grey market and apparently he was using some other carrier.....so he called him to his new number and warned him of legal consequences....that poor guy had to travel some 100 miles to give it to my friend.....of course he was very lucky to get his cell back
With the help of police or other way to track imei.

Seems like insuring the phone is the best way then? Please tell me the cost procedure and everything, I am novice at this.
I too would like to know the premium I need to pay for phone insurance. And which company does offer this and most importantly what are the terms. I am sure there must be some catch.
AFAIK New India Assurance provides phone insurance and the premium is also reasonable as per the phone cost....
However the catch is... You need to have a FIR lodged for the loss of mobile to claim insurance...which the policemen deny...saying they dont have time for such things and they have to answer to their seniors against progress of each FIR lodged...
That's what I know from my colleague's experience in Thane...

@gREen
With the help of the police and you know what? the police requested him to not to tell anyone regarding this tracking thing.......

Last edited by a moderator:
@gREen
With the help of the police and you know what? the police requested him to not to tell anyone regarding this tracking thing.......
now, if its stolen, the probability of finding back is directly proportional to our relationship with police. lol
actually, 1st thing they does is switch off or pull the battery and wipe the os.
whatever app or tweak even with ios (icaughtu), flash a FW. and its new.

That really defeats the purpose now. Only a complaint won't do i am sure. This sucks.
Yeah... but as I don't have personal experience with the insurance thing, it would be better if someone can share the same....
@mithun , can you please give us a heads-up about mobile insurance, since you have recently got one with your new L520 (The Lumia 520 Thread) :D

The insurance thing is a FAIL.
My brother had it for his galaxy Pro (yeah only a 8k phone)
It got stolen from Delhi Metro, went to claim it, They ask for an FIR, went to police station, they simply refuse that an Fir cannot be lodged for a stolen mobile phone. Tried a few links etc, nothing came out of it.

So dont go for 3rd party insurance unless you want a peace of mind for that limited period in which you think that you'll get money back if your phone is lost :p

I am sure this might be possible (not applicable to removable battery phones) but there would be an app or something which would prevent the phone from being shutoff without a passcode ?
Although mine is no fool proof but i have an iPhone and it is jailbroken and as a first preventive measure i have a passcode setup. I have this app installed from cydia which will take the picture from front camera when wrong passcode is entered, start the EDGE/3G on my phone (if not already on) and email to picture to a predefined email address. The EDGE/3G then stays on and it cannot be turned off for a certain period of time (not sure how much).
Also when someone tries to turn off the phone in locked mode, the app does not allow the phone to be turned off and every power off attempt will mean more pictures captured and emailed. Now since there is no way the person can turn off internet without unlocking the phone, it may aid in tracking.
But as with all methods, if the SIM card is removed all this fails.
But yes it does have feature to send a SMS when a new non approved SIM card is entered and what i can do after that is that i can send remote commands as SMS to this new number (custom setup) and these commands will perform the actions which they have been told to (you defined this before only).
Like say i send a SMS as "locat10n' i will receive a SMS with the GPS co-ordinates of the phone.
Similarly if i send SMS as "takep1c' then it turns on EDGE/3G and emails me pic.
The good part is that even if the new SIM does not have internet plan and does have some balance the internet will work consuming his main balance.

I have deliberately choosen words with numbers above as the app is too sensitive that even if the word is there in any SMS that comes it performs the commands and before i had setup as "location" and when i had SMSed someone with text as "what is your location" the app interpreted it as command and i started receiving bulk emails with location every 10 minutes.

App name please?

I couldnt locate my stolen phone with IMEI. The cops were like these thieves steal phones dismantle them and sell as spares since they get tracked if they sell the phones.

Back